doctorwayne's Get off yer duff Challenge (Part I)
This one doesn't have, as far as I'm aware, a prototype, but I am trying to follow prototypical practices.

The frame extensions were an idea by Ray Breyer, over on the MR Forums, about adding a frame extension to the Athearn Mikado. I did all four of mine after they were already in service, and it really takes care of the too-open look under the cab, without affecting the swing of the trailing truck. If the photo below will enlarge when clicked upon, it should be somewhat visible:

[Image: ErieNorthshoreMikado.jpg]

The ash hoppers were inspired by those used on the CNR's secondhand USRA 2-10-2s, as seen on this modified Akane which I built for my good friend cn nutbar:

[Image: Andyetagainevenmorebuilderphotos008.jpg]

There will be some other prototype-inspired details on this locomotive, but I'll reveal those as the build continues. Wink
The loco will be part of the EG&E family, but I'll be lettering it for the Grand River Southern, a terminal road supposedly connecting the modelled Grand Valley with the unmodelled EG&E. I did have a GRS locomotive in the past, this Athearn SW7 rebuilt as an NW2...

[Image: Foe-toesfromTrainPhotos2007thirdcd1.jpg]

...but it's gone to my good buddy Deano's (UP SD40-2) layout.

I picked up a Trueline Trains CPR caboose some time ago, used and at a good price, and it's lettered for the GRS (their only piece of rolling stock)...

[Image: NewYearsChallengePhotos219.jpg]

...and the intention is to use it with the 2-6-6-2 in pusher service on the big hill between South Cayuga and Park Head.

Wayne

Messages In This Thread