JaBears “Get off yer duff challenge” (Part 1)
The Bear, sadly, has a propensity of starting new projects before the last is finished. With a look of earnest righteousness on his face, he will give all sorts of reasons for his actions, (really Lack of), including the legitimate one of stopping because of frustration because he couldn’t get a particular idea/technique to work and was in danger of making a pigs ears of the whole project. However excuses are by definition, just excuses!! :oops:

Now while I have to finish the car ferry and CISX500 the depressed centre flat car, I consider entering them in the challenge as cheating, because there is really so little to do to finish them!!! (Though I do have to get off my duff to do so!!)

Several years ago I came across this locomotive partially hidden under a pile of stuff on a vendors table at a train show. “Can’t tell you much about it” he said, “came as part of a job lot of brass locomotives. The body falls off and it’s got an N scale decoder even though I think it’s HO, and I don’t know if it works.”
On close examination I found a two digit number written underneath and upon gaining his permission to try the locomotive, took it to the DCC modular layout I was helping to exhibit and after placing it on the test track, found that the number, the decoder and the locomotive worked!!!

At the time I wasn’t sure about the provenance of the shell, neither were the other guys, except that it had to be a cast aftermarket one, I suspect that the previous owner had privately imported it, as well as the brass locomotives, because to my knowledge they haven’t be available over the LHS shelf here. No matter, apart for the overly Thick gloss black paint, lack of decals, glazing and lights, it ran very well and as I was in the market for an Alco switcher, the only possible sticking point could be the purchase price.

Going back to the vendor, I explained that it did run, so what did he want for it? Without too much dickering, I bought it for not much more than the price of the decoder, a very happy Bear. (Well you’ve got to win one every now and then!)

So the challenge for me is to fix the deficiencies noted above and add a completed locomotive to the Lachlan River RR roster.
Smile
"One difference between pessimists and optimists is that while pessimists are more often right, optimists have far more fun."

Messages In This Thread