JaBears “Get off yer duff challenge” (Part 1)
Thanks for the encouragement Bernhard.

teejay Wrote:.....now WHOM does that remind me of ?

I have been well aware teejay that I’m not the only one suffering from that particular affliction, but that others had it was never a justifiable excuse to my Mum, “If everyone else jumped off a cliff” she said, “is it necessary for you to follow?” It was an argument that I would never win, End of Story!!! 357

doctorwayne Wrote:If that's a cast metal body, it's likely the Cary (Bowser) model of the Alco S-2/S-4. It should be pretty easy to strip off that paint with lacquer thinner.

As the forums can be a mine of information, I had, later on, assumed that it was a Cary shell Wayne, but thanks for the conformation.

e-paw Wrote:looks like stripping that paint will be a challenge all in itself.

Not only was the black top coat thick, but so as the grey primer, but in reality it’s removal was only a challenge because of a self inflicted Blockhead Moment!! Wallbang

Explanation!! Through the forums it would appear that Isopropyl Alcohol, is the paint stripper of choice but here in NZ, due apparently to its use in the manufacture of illegal drugs, is not only very expensive but comes in very small quantities, so what I have is used very sparingly.

I use Methylated Spirits as paint stripper for plastic, it requires a reasonable time to work and still can need a fair bit of elbow grease to completely remove the paint.
The first photo was after I had had that shell soaking in the Meths for about a week, but it wasn’t until I was writing my challenge preamble that I finally clicked Eek that because it was cast metal I could use something with a bit more grunt, that I have in quantity and is far cheaper than bottled water, and apparently banned in California, Meythl Ethyl Ketone.

One hour soaking in that, a flick with an old toothbrush, and an even quicker flick in the bead blaster, on a very reduced pressure, 45- 50 PSI, et voila!!!

I must admit I wasn’t prepared for the amount of bits that fell off, but Hooray for HOseeker!! <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://hoseeker.net/lit.html">http://hoseeker.net/lit.html</a><!-- m -->

The big question now is, Just how far do I go?? Crazy Nope

Thanks for looking, Cheers, the Bear. Smile
"One difference between pessimists and optimists is that while pessimists are more often right, optimists have far more fun."

Messages In This Thread