granular commodities
The now gone glassworks in my hometown received its sand in two bay covered hoppers. Model Die Casting, Bowser, Atlas, Kadee, and probably lots of others, offer such cars.

Here's a couple of Bowser's ACF covered hoppers. They come with or without the partially open side panel and as kits or r-t-r:

[Image: LSWbuildersphotographs007.jpg]

This Pennsy H-30 covered hopper is also from Bowser, but as r-t-r only. It comes in several prototypically correct paint schemes for Pennsy, Penn Central, and Conrail:

[Image: Modifiedrollingstock052.jpg]

This one was formerly an MDC PS-2, and for quite some time was one of the few short covered hoppers available. It originally had the round-style hatches common to PS-2 cars, but it also had some very heavy cast-on ladders and sill steps. When I decided to replace the steps and grabirons, I also decided to redo the hatches and outlet gates, using Bowser parts.
This is the only photo which I could find of the cars before modification. Cars 6807 and 6810 the MDC ones, while the others are from Bowser:

[Image: Foe-toesfromTrainPhotos2007thirdcd2.jpg]

...and this is the 6807 re-worked:

[Image: REBUILT%20MDC%20COVERED%20HOPPERS...%20008.jpg]

Ramax also once offered a more modern short covered hopper, but mine are long gone, although somebody else, perhaps Athearn or Accurail have a very similar such car.

Wayne

Messages In This Thread