"TENDER TUESDAY"
Here's a little tender that I found to be very interesting...

[Image: 67023.jpg]

The photo is from the collection of the late Bill Grandin, and its use here is through the courtesy of Jim Parker. Jim generously shares his photo collection with me and a number of other railway enthusiasts, with daily e-mails of 10 or 12 railroad-related photos. I save only those of particular interest to me, and have, I believe, at least a couple of thousand.

This tender looks to me to have its origins in a tender very similar to the one seen on the locomotive just ahead of the 492. Picture that tender, turned around so that its slope-backed cistern is facing the back of 492's cab. And picture that tender's coal bunker, at the rear, with a top on it, complete with a water hatch. And imagine a coal bunker built up atop the former sloped-back of the tender - you can even see the contrasting shade of black running diagonally through the "IFIC" of "PACIFIC". After that was in place, all that would be needed to complete the 492's tender would be the vertical hopper extension seen atop the coal bunker, with the handrail around it.

I can't, of course, say for certain that that's how 492's tender came to be, but it sure looks like it to me...what do you think?

I think that that's one sweet-looking little tender, complete with rolled-top edges on the cistern, à la Norfolk & Western J, handrails and ladders all over the place, and with a water hatch worthy of a much bigger locomotive, along with a back-up light and a light for the deck of the cistern, too! As they say around these parts..."Beauty, eh?"

Wayne

Messages In This Thread