Old Steamers
Here's the brass tender:

It doesn't have any rivet detail, so I wonder if it was a kit or even scratchbuilt. Along with the loco and tender, I also got a brass cab and some brass pilots:

I like the pilot in the middle--it has a coupler that swings out--so I need to get some sheet brass and start cutting and soldering. Not sure if I want to put an all-weather cab on it, though.

The project for tonight, though, was to work on an MDC Harriman consolidation kit:

I have been tinkering with this one for years. I bought the kit and built it per the instructions, and it ran ok. Then I put a decoder in the tender, and it stalled alot, so I added pickups on all the wheels of the tender, and it ran really well. I added a generic Soundtraxx steam decoder in the tender, and it sounds pretty good. What it was missing was valve gear. Someone once on a forum told me Bowser H-9 valve gear would work just fine, and lo and behold, a guy at a show was selling H-9 leftovers, including valve gear, side rods, and cylinders, so I bought them. I have been trying to put the two together, on and (mostly) off, for the last couple of years. Finally I figured out a way of screwing the Bowser gear to the third driver by drilling and tapping some small bits of styrene and CA-ing them to the back of the drivers. I needed longer 0-80 hex head screws, but I got them last night and cut them down. It worked! Tears of joy!

I have a Cal-Scale detail kit for this loco, so I guess I've got my work cut out for me...

Messages In This Thread