Old Steamers
I made some progress on my Connie today. It seemed to be running very poorly, and the only way to get it to run was to bump the tender or put some weight on the tender. I decided to try a different tender, so I pulled out an old MDC Roundhouse Vanderbilt tender someone had given me because it was missing trucks. I had bought a set of Cal-Scale tender trucks from a friend along with a mess of detail parts for $10, so I screwed those to the bottom and hooked it up.

The loco ran great! No stalling, no stuttering, no slipping! It could easily pull twice as many cars, and could creep along! Hard to believe, but maybe the sprung Bowser trucks were the problem. I installed the Cal-Scale trucks on the Bowser tender, and once again, the loco runs great:

So now I'm thinking I should try these trucks on my E-6., and if they work, buy more. Cal-Scal/Bowser doesn't seem to have tender trucks anymore, though Sad

I put the Bowser trucks on the Vandy Tender and built it up, but I think I need to find some Tender trucks. Any suggestions?

Messages In This Thread