Looking for tips on using Scalecoat 2 paint
I use Scalecoat I on plastic without any issues, and thin it about 40% with lacquer thinner. Scalecoat II is comprised of pretty-much the same chemicals, but in different proportions. My guess is that you've used too much thinner. The first time I used Scalecoat, many years ago, I was concerned by the paint's apparently thick consistency in the bottle, and was tempted to thin it more generously than I would have done with, f'rinstance, Floquil. I didn't though, and it sprayed very nicely, yielding a very nice and extremely durable finish on plastic.

Scalecoat also notes that no primer is required, so the paint may be reacting with the primer. As for multiple coats, I prefer to apply successive light coats with Scalecoat I: paint the whole car, then, before the applied paint can dry, paint it with another light coat in the same sequence as before. Depending on the colour you're using and the density of the application, I'd guess that one to three coats applied in this manner would be sufficient for complete and even coverage. I don't know about Scalecoat II, but I let Scalecoat I dry for several days before handling it - it may be dry to the touch much more quickly, but that's certainly not cured. There's a very good chance that your subsequent delayed applications are reacting with the not-wet-but-not-yet-cured paint.

Wayne

Messages In This Thread