What boxcars would be appropriate for my layout?
That's definitely interesting! As of right now, I am planning to have one major brewery modeled on the layout, receiving covered hoppers and shipping in insulated boxcars (with a side track for an open top hopper to load broken glass in to). I am not delivering all of the materials to make the beer by rail, as the brewery I am modeling would receive most of that by truck delivery. I am also thinking about modeling another large-ish brewery, but not modeling *most* of it, only the grain elevator.

I am basically following the Model Railroader series from 2010 on their Milwaukee Road Beer Line project layout, but I instead of following the Milwaukee road in 1947 as my prototype, I am making it a proto-freelance layout that could eventually be expanded into a larger display at some point. I don't have space for a layout at the moment, though, so I am instead working on amassing rolling stock, motive power, building kits, stuff like that, with the goal of it eventually all fitting on the layout when I get it built. I've been out of the hobby for several years, so I am relearning some skills, too. I really like modern urban and suburban railroading, so that's mostly where my layout is being set. Just trying to rough out some ideas for what rolling stock I'll need. I am planning a couple of team track, too, so that I can have an excuse to run basically whatever equipment I want on the layout (I like container cars, for instance, but don't really expect to have room in the track plan to even *suggest* an intermodal yard, so I can just drop a single well car or two of containers on a team track and voila Big Grin).

Anyways, I think I've ranted enough. As I get some more stuff and start working on things, I will definitely be sharing project photos
————————————————————————————
Modeling the East Broad Top as it was between 1937-1942
~Amanda

Messages In This Thread