Logging Locos, Logging Track Plan, Logging Mill, Mainline Pick-up
So now my sketchy plan is starting to look like this,..
[Image: DSCF4292.jpg]

The 'trunk' of the peninsula is a 2 foot deep piece of plywood across the back side of the layout. I've temporarily relocated my coal mine from the right hand corner over to the left hand corner. So I have a couple of mainline tracks that loop into the helix area, and also have a shortcut track provision to loop around the perimeter of the upper deck. Other than that things are open to suggestions as to how a lumber mill, its pond, etc , and the delivery logging trains can unload and turn around for another trip back up the peninsula??

The logging peninsula itself I am imagining will be about 18" wide, and would have at least 1 track on either side  of some sort of view splitter/divider down its center (at least 2 tracks). These tracks could make various twist/curves, cross bridges, etc, etc with various scenic backdrops and trees to reach either end....about 7-8 feet in length and 9" deep.

At the tip of the peninsula there would be a 'gallows style' turntable to turn the logging locos around, and perhaps hold 1or 2 locos at idle.  That paper plate I mentioned above represents that gallows turntable. I've measured a few of my longer loggers, and it appears as though a small of turntable only 8" in diameter will handle any of them, including the Heisler with its aux tender.
[Image: DSCF4268.jpg]

[Image: DSCF4271.jpg]

[Image: gallows%20style%20turntable.jpg]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Logging Locos, Logging Track Plan, Logging Mill, Mainline Pick-up - by railandsail - 07-27-2019, 12:27 PM
Gallows Style Turntable - by railandsail - 07-27-2019, 12:44 PM
Bridge Across Log Pond - by railandsail - 07-27-2019, 12:49 PM
15"radius vs 18" radius - by railandsail - 10-09-2019, 07:34 AM