Where The Heck Did You Get That!?
You (and Mr. Keefe) raise some good points, but it strikes me that many folks nowadays know little about copyright laws, and care even less about them.  Many seem to take for granted that if it's available on-line, it's free for the taking. 

In cases like that, especially if the photographer is not known (or you're too lazy to look it up), then you might be better off to provide a link to the photo, rather than simply assuming it's okay to use it.

There are numerous photo collections accessible on-line, too, and while the individual photographer is not always listed (many "collections" are exactly that), usually the owner of the collection is listed, and should be acknowledged.

An on-line acquaintance (whom I've never met), sends me 10 or 12 photos every day, from his own collection and from that of one of his now-deceased friends.  When known, the photographer is always named...otherwise, acknowledgement of the owner of the collection is provided.  I seldom, if ever, share those photos on line - they're strictly for my own enjoyment, or for use in modelling the subject of those photos. 
The only time I recall posting one of those photos here, I sought (and received) permission to use it.

(08-29-2019, 08:14 PM)ngauger Wrote:

........Interesting thing; a few weeks ago, I was perusing Facebook in our local history page and I see a photo I Took years ago on the local history site and the caption read: 
Does anyone remember the Baldwin locomotive Works in Eddystone?

I posted - Yeah - I DO, since I took this picture, Please give credit when you can!!!
I then attached the link to my website..........

All the person had to do was include the link to my site.

...... The person never replied, or commented....  Oh well......... 

And there's the problem and the reason that it exists......everybody's too busy or too self-important, so "Oh well" pretty well covers it.

Wayne

Messages In This Thread
Where The Heck Did You Get That!? - by ngauger - 08-29-2019, 08:14 PM
RE: Where The Heck Did You Get That!? - by doctorwayne - 08-30-2019, 10:19 AM
RE: Where The Heck Did You Get That!? - by ezdays - 08-30-2019, 10:43 AM
RE: Where The Heck Did You Get That!? - by Brakie - 09-01-2019, 07:48 PM