Where The Heck Did You Get That!?
I know from working with photos and negatives donated to the historical society that many times even the family doesn't know who the subject is or who took the photos. I don't feel in this case that posting these pictures in an effort to name the subject or credit the photographer is out of line. In the case of photos donated to a historical society I feel it a shame if they get locked in a vault in some historic building never to be seen. I am glad the president of the society and the majority of the members that I do the scanning for feel the same way. 

I am glad that the Barringer railroad collection and J J Young photos have been put on line for all of us to enjoy.  

A facebook group I belong to recently posted a picture of mine in an effort to find the photographer so they could get permission. In this case I wasn't offended because it was stated as such in the post and I even know the fellow that posted it.  I did not hesitate to allow them to use it. 

I have in my collection a group of black and white photos taken by a friend and his widow gave them to me with permission to use them.  I also have some pictures given to me 40 years ago by a friend in New Jersey that I share now and again. He had an extensive slide collection and I hope it too was saved when he died. 

Let this also be a reminder that there are people in the hobby that have relatives that think we are childish and frown on our habit so if you have friends and your family tolerates your quirks please make sure your collections of photos are safe.  

Also make sure any collections donated to historical societies remain the property of the society, not individuals in the groups. 

Charlie

Messages In This Thread
Where The Heck Did You Get That!? - by ngauger - 08-29-2019, 08:14 PM
RE: Where The Heck Did You Get That!? - by ezdays - 08-30-2019, 10:43 AM
RE: Where The Heck Did You Get That!? - by Charlie B - 08-30-2019, 08:12 PM
RE: Where The Heck Did You Get That!? - by Brakie - 09-01-2019, 07:48 PM