Lenses for steam locomotive headlights
One thing I have been doing is this. I use a soda can for material. I cut it apart and then polish the inside part of a square that I have made. I polish to a very high shine. Then I punch out a circle of the material . I cut the circle a little larger than the hole in the H/L casting. Now I make small concave dimple in a wood block. I then place my cut circle in the dimple on the board and using the end of a rounded dowel ( a small paint brush handle will work sometimes).I push down with the dowel on the circle and rotate round & round until I get a concave shape reflector. Now comes the hard part, make a very small hole in your reflector with a needle, drill or what ever you have that will make a small hole.
If you use a pin or a needle you will have to remove the burr that the needle has raised on the back side of the reflector.
I use a fine grit finger nail file to remove the burr.
Now glue a 603 LED to the reflector over the small hole in the reflector. I use Bondic light activated glue has you can move the LED to the place you want it-hit it with the light and your LED will bond to your reflector. I put on a second glue bond on to make sure the LED wires are covered to make the light assembly insulated. Then I paint the back side black and let dry. For the lens,I cut a circle from any clear plastic I have . Or you can install your reflector assembly and fill the H/L hole with clear epoxy, I do two or three fills and try to get a domed shape fill.
By using a warm or a bright LED you can get a light the color you want.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Lenses for steam locomotive headlights - by woodone - 12-26-2020, 10:04 AM