Making a swinging type bridge.
How to bridge open areas of the layout to connect and keep continuous the main lines in a way to provide access to internal walkways within your layout. It always starts out with duck under bridging. Yes, here you are a younger person building a larger layout using all the space you have. Solidly constructed bridging sections work perfectly for you. Nothing moves and everything stays in place. Ah, the wonderful world of Model Railroading is now yours.
 Things change! A hurried attempt to pass under the main line has caused a red painful bump to appear on your forehead. It all happened so fast there wasn’t much to remember but the cause, the attempt, and the result. Well, something needs to be done! The information available in layout-related magazines and books all point to one fix, a removable or hinged track section.
  My first attempt actually worked rather well. My 2 track bridge hinged down. When lifted it fits up into a restricted place where no left or right movement was possible. Once up at the correct height, a metal supporting piece hinged up underneath, and a pin held it in place allowing no movement in any direction except slightly up to allow for the metal support to be un-pined.
   Next, I saw in a railroad magazine a gate type of movable bridge hinged on one side allowing 90 degrees of movement creating a swinging gate. Well, I abandoned my lift-type bridge to build a swinging gate type. Now knowing what has happened I should have remained with the lift type. I am certain I can get my swinging gate type bridge alining better after some more additional work.
frank

" It's a Heck of a Day " !!!!

Messages In This Thread
Making a swinging type bridge. - by toptrain - 02-22-2021, 10:13 AM
RE: Making a swinging type bridge. - by FiatFan - 02-22-2021, 11:35 AM
RE: Making a swinging type bridge. - by toptrain - 02-23-2021, 09:47 AM
RE: Making a swinging type bridge. - by FiatFan - 02-24-2021, 07:29 AM
RE: Making a swinging type bridge. - by ezdays - 02-24-2021, 09:08 AM