Cataloging photos
Continuing with my suggestions. I use as much as I can in the file name to make searching easy. I have found a program called Agent Ransack https://www.mythicsoft.com/agentransack/  that is very useful in finding photos and it will search a 2 tb hard drive in a couple minutes first time, and if you leave it open and change the search term it is even faster. After it is installed you can click on the folder, drive, or even your whole computer and it will find what you want.     For example I name my files by date first (YYYYMMDD) and subject and location and other information . If I want to find a picture of a locomotive that I know the number I use the road and number in the search In this case I search for Conrail 4444 in my document folder and this is the results      I can also search for Baltimore and this is the result     
I think you can see my point here. I don't have the locomotives cataloged with type in the file name yet but if I did I could search for them by that term. 
Now to a beginner with family photos I have run into a lot of pictures that are labeled "mom" "dad" "uncle Lou" etc.  That's fine for the person that wrote them but years from now you want to know who "mom" is. I have been labeling my family photos with names. My great grandfather was John Brookes (no middle name) so I have labeled photos of him as: 19460612 John Brookes Tennis court dresden ave. My maternal grandmother gets 19750617 elizabeth margaret mae shurte brookes which includes the middle names as well as her maiden name Shurte which makes it easy for other family members to know who she was and where she fits on the family tree. 
Hope this helps. I have a few more tips for another post.
Charlie

Messages In This Thread
Cataloging photos - by hillyard999 - 02-02-2022, 12:55 PM
RE: Cataloging photos - by Charlie B - 02-02-2022, 05:44 PM
RE: Cataloging photos - by hillyard999 - 02-03-2022, 12:05 PM
RE: Cataloging photos - by Charlie B - 02-03-2022, 03:40 PM
RE: Cataloging photos - by hillyard999 - 02-05-2022, 10:27 AM