And he said, "let there be light...and ZAP!!
I always turn the power off before working on the wiring. I also make sure that in the case of fuses, I put the fuse in my pocket or tape off the breaker and I turn the power on/off myself.

Once I asked my brother if the power was off. Yup! he replied.
Next thing I knew, sparks were flying! After a volley of curses, Curse Curse the power was turned off and I told my brother that next time, he is on his own for repairs if he insists on this nonsense.

I figure, it takes a grand total of five minutes to turn off the power and ensure it is turned off. Recuperation from injuries takes considerably longer!

Sgtcarl: You were mentioning about the vinyl wall covering. Where did you see it? If in a store, they should have all that info (flash point etc) available as it is being sold to the public. Other than that, I don't blame you for being careful. I remember one time the house that my brother owned and rented out had some stuff on the walls of the furnace room. It looked like some kind of fibre board. The fire department insisted that it get removed and replaced with drywall (which we did) and I took a piece outside. I was curious so I lit it with a lighter to see how fast it would ignite.
Darned glad it was outside as that piece lit up like it was soaked in gasoline and pretty much burnt to ashes within seconds. :o Confusedhock:
I hate to imagine that happening with that stuff on the walls and ceiling.

Messages In This Thread