Hedley Junction
Very nicely done, Matt. Thumbsup Thumbsup

Wayne
Nice technique of using putty. Nice job.
I also considered any building kit....kitbashing fodder.
Torrington, Ct.
NARA Member #87
I went to my Happy Place, but it was closed for renovations.
Great little sheds !
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
Two weeks ago, we started to mock up the new layout.

This sector represent Limoilou Yard south end. The industry is a real one, Adélard Laberge Ltée., which was an ornemental iron and fire doors dealers. I experimented with different track level according to the prototype. I must admit I'm quite pleased how track level variation gives depth and life to what is basically a flat level layout. I'm actually placing structures (overpass, industries, track, etc) with the real life dimension. It means everything from the overpass to the cottage is a 3D representation of 1961 insurance maps. I'll do the same around Canardière Road underpass and will fudge dimension and scenery between those two key scenes.

The small late nineteen century Second Empire working class cottage is modelled in cereal box after the prototype. It is the only remaining original hosue of Hedleyville. The industrial village was virtually wiped oup in 1905 when Canadian Northern Railway expropriated most of the town to get space for it's new freight yard and engine service facilities. The small 60ft long stretch of road between Adélard Laberge and the house is the only remaining portion of the old main street. If you go to my blog, you'll see an old picture of Hedleyville showing the same spot in 1898 when the town was still a thriving community.

[Image: IMG_0560Copier_zps172f7cd9.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0554Copier_zps051c9de8.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0555Copier_zpseb7e32cd.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0577Copier_zps10987c64.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0583Copier_zpsdc3edba1.jpg]

I also started mockuping the backdrop with pencil. Here you can see the iconic St-Charles church overlooking the yard. The parish was shut down two years ago and the building itself is in a sad state of disrepair. Talks about razing it are going on thought other ridiculous conversion projects are also proposed. Quite a shame if you ask me... but this pathetic gimmick is going all over the province since a few years and we are losing landmarks every years.

That said, I'll redraw the church smaller when painting, too huge, it breaks the perspective. I'm seriously thinking about making my backdrop following Mike Cawley's way: i.e. several amovible backdrop you can place behind the scenes at your convenience. Honestly, kudos to people able to draft on a wall with a layout in place. Not my cup of tea, I prefer to paint them on a table then place them in place. Also, if I mess up, painting them again will be easier. I must admit Mike's had been a good source of inspiration since I worked my rip-rap track section.

[Image: IMG_0571Copier_zps4f3ded84.jpg]

I also decided to improve Atlas telegraph poles. I often see great modellers putting little to no efforts making their poles looks right in term of color and tecture. I experiment with second hand broken poles got for free from someone getting out of the hobby. I didn't care about puttying bracket holes, so don't be sarcastic in your judgement! 357 357

First, I kept only one crossarm, the superior ones were in a real sad shape, broken. Using a metal saw blade, I heavily scratched the plastic to get a distressed wood look on them. Then, I spray painted them with Krylon .I don't remember the name, but it was a kind of pale taupe. Really realistic for delaved creosote poles. Metal brackets were painted with a dulled grey made of a random mix of colors on hand. Insulators were painted pure aluminium. The poles where then weathered with a wash of black, making sure to make the base darker and the higher part clearer because creosote get washed down in real life. Crossarms were painted several times with a brownish-blackish wash because msot of the time in real life, there are much more darker than the pole itself. Finally, I used pastel chalk to finish the pole. Dark chalk to dirty the base and almond white to lighten the superior part of the pole to make the wood looks more greyish. I would strongly suggest using a clear varnish to give more depth to the insulators. I'll probably hit mines with a few coats of Future to make them more glass-like. One could also used Rix clear plastic crossarms, which would be even between.

[Image: IMG_0580Copier_zpsc7049963.jpg]

I'm seriously thinking about using real wood dowels next time I build poles to have the most realistic wood look. But I think the painting process really brought life to these cheapie generic Atlas poles.

[Image: IMG_0581Copier_zpsc87241d3.jpg]

Matt
Proudly modelling Quebec Railway Light & Power Company since 1997.

Hedley-Junction Club Layout: http://www.hedley-junction.blogspot.com/

Erie 149th Street Harlem Station http://www.harlem-station.blogspot.com/
Definitely a nice job on the poles Matt!
sailormatlac Wrote:...
[Image: IMG_0571Copier_zps4f3ded84.jpg]
Matt

The background sketch is absolutely great!
Cheers, Bernd

Please visit also my website www.us-modelsof1900.de.
You can read some more about my model projects and interests in my chronicle of facebook.
Matt:
I have some stuff called "3D paint" that's iridescent. It looks like a glass insulator. Only problem is getting to make an insulator shape.
It came from a large craft store chain.

David
Moderato ma non troppo
Perth & Exeter Railway Company
Esquesing & Chinguacousy Radial Railway
In model railroading, there are between six and two hundred ways of performing a given task.
Most modellers can get two of them to work.
Good looking poles! Like the sketch as well.
Mike

Thanks! I'm really enjoying how the layout is getting a more "serious" look... The funny thing is that scratchbuilbuilding structures is easier and more realistic than kitbashing kits. The more I do them in cardboard, the more I find I have more freedom in what I'm doing.

Also, streamlining the layout considerably made it easier to achieve. I mean, less structure, less track, more realistic scene composition, I feel it's less useless works. What little I do, I do it right.

Thanks for the comments about the sketched backdrop. I have no merit since most of my real work involve measuring and drawing churches and religious buildings.

BTW, the food processing plant will likely be the old Coca-Cola bottling plant located on 1st Avenue. It used to be rail-served well into the late 70s. Should be a lot of fun to kitbash.

@David: I've got some Createx pearlescent white paint. I suspect it would look quite realistic with a coat of gloss... I'll try it next time I rework those poles (like filling the ugly holes!).

Back to bashing a few GP9 and RS18! yeah!

Matt

Wow, some great work going on in this thread!

Backing up, the DPM structure where you changed the foundation from brick to concrete was excellent modeling. And those scratch-built trackside sheds turned out very nicely as well. They look just as good as those Laser-Art wood structures! Thumbsup
I made a quick mock up of the old Coca-Cola bottling plant on 1st Avenue. Building is made out of spray painted foam board and the transmission tower is a printed scale drawing.

[Image: IMG_3284b_zpsf3936426.jpg]

[Image: IMG_3298b_zps4d3ee7e3.jpg]

[Image: IMG_3307b_zps872670e8.jpg]

[Image: IMG_3290b_zps8866652c.jpg]

The layout plan was also simplified again, now only 19 turnouts remains and double track mainline was reversed to a single track one (it was useless and anachronic since it was built in 1985). Signals were also planned. Some updated track layout to be release soon.

Matt

Love the Coke plant!
Mike

That is an excellent mock up indeed!
Reinhard
Thanks guy!

I feel the mock up can stay for a while on the layout before I build the definitive structure.

Here's the new simplified track plan. Bell's Road/St. Malo Spur are now much closer to prototype with the abandonned station track under the signal bridge.

[Image: Hedleyville_48_zpsc6a50c93.jpg]

Matt

Looks good already!