Kentucky & Tennessee Southern (HO Scale)
I've never really taken a close look at the MDC 50 foot Overton's although I do have a set of the 30 footers which are currently in storage with the rest of my model train stuff.
I believe that coach is a model power.
--
Kevin
Check out my Shapeways creations!
3-d printed items in HO/HOn3 and more!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s-model-train-detail-parts">https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s ... tail-parts</a><!-- m -->
I got 5 of those cars 2 RPO/baggage & 3 coaches from a guy at a swap meet for a couple of bucks apiece...they all were damaged...broken end rails, couplers, etc...
[Image: rpo1.jpg]
I fixed up one of the RPO's, & it's the one you see in the photos...
[Image: rpo10.jpg]
On the bottom, they say "Made in Brazil"...I did a little checking, & discovered they're made by a company called Fratesch (sp)
It may be posswible that Model Power owns the tooling for these as well...???

I do have a small amount of progress on the layout to report...
I got some paint on the arch bridge, & I've begun building a trestle from styrene...
[Image: a_bridge_1.jpg]
[Image: trestle_2.jpg]
-Drew-
"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly."
That trestle is nice. I don't remember seeing one built out of styrene before.

Loren
I got my first train when I was three,
put a hundred thousand miles on my knees.
nomad Wrote:That trestle is nice. I don't remember seeing one built out of styrene before.

Loren

I've built a couple of them in the past... (these are both HOn30)
[Image: mtc9.jpg]
I made this small one from plastic sprues...
[Image: dio_20.jpg]
-Drew-
Can't even tell the difference. Do they hold together better then wood, as far as handling goes ? The couple I built of wood, long, long ago, I was afraid to handle them after assembly.

Loren
nomad Wrote:... Do they hold together better then wood, as far as handling goes ? The couple I built of wood, long, long ago, I was afraid to handle them after assembly.

Loren

They're quite sturdy, but the real reason that I use styrene I guess is simply because I started with it, & I've never quite gotten the hang of using wood...
I'm also kind of a half-blind, lazy, sloppy modeler, & for me, the plastic is a little more forgiving...
-Drew-
Drew Wrote:
nomad Wrote:... Do they hold together better then wood, as far as handling goes ? The couple I built of wood, long, long ago, I was afraid to handle them after assembly.

Loren

They're quite sturdy, but the real reason that I use styrene I guess is simply because I started with it, & I've never quite gotten the hang of using wood...
I'm also kind of a half-blind, lazy, sloppy modeler, & for me, the plastic is a little more forgiving...

Really? Because those are excellent structures indistinguishable from wood. I don't see anything "sloppy" about any of your work. Quite the opposite. Thumbsup
I agree with MountainMan - very nice work, Drew. Thumbsup Thumbsup

Loren, one of the reasons that I no longer use wood to build models is because wood construction seems to have a lifespan limited by the adhesives used, whereas I've never had a styrene structure fall apart with age. If you use a solvent-type cement, the construction will be very strong, too. Styrene also allows construction to proceed pretty-well as fast as you can assemble the parts, as there's very little drying time required. Also, in my opinion, properly-finished styrene can replicate wood, either painted or unpainted, better than can the wood which we commonly use for our models. Check HERE for some tips.

Wayne
Lookin' great! Big Grin

Thanks for the reply on the passenger car. I have a weakness for open platform equipment, especially shorty stuff. I'll have to keep my eyes peeled for those...once I've assembled the Ulrich, Selley, NorthEastern, etc. I've got waiting in the wings!

Galen
I may not be a rivet counter, but I sure do like rivets!
Drew, you have got some beautiful modeling going on here, great job on the trestles and the weathering!! Keep it up Thumbsup Thumbsup
Josh Mader

Maders Trains
Offering everyday low prices for the Model Railroad World
Drew, thanks for the info. It will really help when I get to that stage on my layout.
Doctorwayne, thanks for the link. He makes it look just like the real thing !
Now, back to the regularly scheduled thread Goldth
Didn't mean to interrupt your thread, Drew.

Loren
Here's my first try at making styrene look like weathered (but painted) wood. It's supposed to be a coal dealer's storage bunker which has been converted to store grain. The elevator housing has been moved from what will be the track side to the road side, with a covered shed added over the truck/wagon dump area - a built-up earthen ramp will be added when it goes on the layout, and I'll finish the weathering on the foundation at that time, too, including where the former coal elevator was located.
[album]1010[/album]

[album]1011[/album]

[album]1012[/album]

Wayne
Well, it’s been a long time since I’ve posted anything!
To tell the truth, I haven’t been doing any m modeling at all for quite some time…
But over the last few weeks, I’ve gotten inspired again to work on the K&TS…

Not a whole lot to report, but I have finished the timber trestle…here are some progress shots…

[Image: ktstrestle1.jpg]

[Image: ktstrestle2.jpg]

[Image: ktstrestle3.jpg]

[Image: ktstrestle5.jpg]

Still have to get it positioned on the layout, & then I can FINALLY finish laying track & get this puppy up & running!
-Drew-
Wow, Drew, the trestle looks really nice. I am planning on building something like that, albeit a bit smaller, for my layout.
Three Foot Rule In Effect At All Times