SSWUP ISL - Your comments
Brakie Wrote:Let's call this switching railroad Columbus Terminal Ry.We will use a GE 70tonner #5.
Ahhhhhhhhh, a 70 ton GE - good choice! Even a 45/50 ton GE could handle the work on a switching operation like this.
Brakie Wrote:The main element is slow switching speeds.
Absolutely. You'd never get over 10mph on the lead track and never more than 4mph when coupling cars. 10mph in HO scale looks and feels very slow, but we're striving for prototype operation.

One other thought: Depending on the era you're modeling, it could be a one man operation with an RC locomotive. That's more or less what most of us are doing when we operate our layouts with that DCC control in one hand and the switch list in the other. Not something that I'd want to do for real. More than once when I worked for the F&C and my brakeman called in sick (had a hot date), I ended up doing all the ground work by myself and it AIN'T NO FUN!! Curse
Ed
"Friends don't let friends build Timesavers"
FCIN Wrote:
Brakie Wrote:Let's call this switching railroad Columbus Terminal Ry.We will use a GE 70tonner #5.
Ahhhhhhhhh, a 70 ton GE - good choice! Even a 45/50 ton GE could handle the work on a switching operation like this.
Brakie Wrote:The main element is slow switching speeds.
Absolutely. You'd never get over 10mph on the lead track and never more than 4mph when coupling cars. 10mph in HO scale looks and feels very slow, but we're striving for prototype operation.

You guys have just described the Los Angeles Junction Railway and the Pacific Harbor Lines! Only they don't use anything as small as a 70 ton GE.
What app are you using to draw your plan?
I'm using Anyrail.

It is downloadable from the net in a demo version which is good but I boutht the licence and it is well worth it and so easy and straight forward to use.

Thanks guys for all the help and a special thanks to Ed, really bee so great with a load of silly questions. Hoping to post some pics soon of the shelf and soon some track!!

Please c/keep commenting as this keeps me focussed... Misngth
SSWUPinSA Wrote:I'm using Anyrail.

It is downloadable from the net in a demo version which is good but I boutht the licence and it is well worth it and so easy and straight forward to use.
Thanks!
Well was hoping to start the shelf this week but there is a problem with my order and so the materials will be here Tuesday. I've gone for a shelf system and design similar to Lance M's books but instead of a hollow core door I am laminating 1 inch thick high grade foam between two 3mm pieces of masonite with a 1 inch pine edge... Basically i have used this design before as a roof structure on my house and it is increadibly light and strong. Will post pics as soon as I start.

Here is the latest version of my ISL... Which needs a name guys!!!

[Image: SSWUPISL141.jpg]
So I have bought my DCC system some time ago, a Digitrax Zephyr, seems to be all I need for this ISL and it is a breaze to use so far. Also have the programer so now all I need is to figure out the wiring.. I have PECO code 83 Electrofrog turnouts that I will be using so my questions are:

Is the Zephyr powerfull enough to run this layout without a booster?
Can I wire it as simply as Lance mindheim does the Palmeto spur in his latest book (Bus and feeders off to each spur?
Do I need to rewire the Electrofrogs as per the instruction in the package or is there another way or can I run them out the box?

Thanks

Callum
Not sure about the electrofrogs, but the Zephyr will power this - ideally through a proper heavy-gauge bus running under the layout. The limiting factor is not the size of the layout, but the draw from all the locos that will be on it simultaneously. IF that total exceeds the output of the Zephyr (~2.5 Amps?) then you'll need to divide it into blocks and run a booster.

Andrew
On a former layout that I ran with a Lenz DCC system I used Peco Electrofrogs straight from the box without any modifications made and I did not have any problems with cars or engines causing shorts by touching point rails and stock rails simultaneously. You only have to use insulated rail joiners on the frog rails.
Kurt
I agree with Kurt. He practically described my setup, only different thing being I use the D'trax Zephyr. The Z has plenty of punch for that layout, just use the proper gauge wire for your power distribution (12-14 ga.) and feeders (18-22 ga.).
Gus (LC&P).
Thanks Kurt and Gus,

Just wondering where exactly those insulated joiners will go, just onto the rail ends which lead to the frogs? Would that in effect be doing the same as the modification detailed in the PECO packaging?

One other thing... DIGITRAX ZEPHYR guys.... If I want to move to remote control of my trains, what do I add to the ZEPHYR to be mobile? Even thoughtit is a small layout I would like to move with the train. Is ifrared the way to go in a small room and what hardware would I need to add to the standard Zephyr?

Hoping to get shelves up this week...will post pics as soon as I can.

Callum
SSWUPinSA Wrote:Just wondering where exactly those insulated joiners will go, just onto the rail ends which lead to the frogs? Would that in effect be doing the same as the modification detailed in the PECO packaging?
Callum;

Using insulated joints as shown here should work just fine without making any of the optional modifications shown on the Peco instructions.     I used the Electro-frog turnouts this way and never had a problem with them.
Ed
Thanks Ed, Always a great help...

One thing on Hoppers, can you name the type of product and industry for each of these types of hoppers I have:

1. ACF Centerflow with values at the bottom and small circular hatches at the top.
2. ACF Centreflow with valves at the bottom and long oval hatches at the top.
3. Trinity hopper with sliding gates at the bottom and long oval haches on top.
4. PS covered hopper, ribbed side with gates at the bottom and short oval hatches on top???.

Wallbang
SSWUPinSA Wrote:One thing on Hoppers, can you name the type of product and industry for each of these types of hoppers I have:
1. ACF Centerflow with values at the bottom and small circular hatches at the top.
2. ACF Centreflow with valves at the bottom and long oval hatches at the top.
3. Trinity hopper with sliding gates at the bottom and long oval haches on top.
4. PS covered hopper, ribbed side with gates at the bottom and short oval hatches on top???.
Callum;

Without seeing actual photos of the cars you mention I'll just give you a general commodity type for the cars you describe.
1. Plastic Pellets and some types of dry chemicals
2. Could also be used for Plastic Pellets and dry chemicals. Some types of fertilizers. Sounds like one of the Athearn ACF CenterFlow versions that they were trying to use as grain handling cars by simply changing the roof hatches
3. Grain, Feed, Fertilizer. The new 4 bay Trinity and similar covered hoppers are designed only to handle feed (Distillers Dried Grain) from ethanol plants around the country. Cubic capacity is too much of loading these cars with grain.
4. Grain, Feed, Fertilizer. Sounds like the PS versions before they went to the full length trough hatches

Hope this helps
Ed
Thanks Ed!!