Southern Pacific Switching Layout
Mike Kieran Wrote:Brakie has a point though. A lot of shortlines would not have an engine house and save money by eschewing with an enginehouse.

Here's a prototype example of a bare bones short line engine area: Detroit Connecting Railroad. They park their power in a fenced area on a switchback off the main. Google maps has a pretty good view too.
--O'Dave
Brakie Wrote:Mike,You could bank the locomotives fire and have a fireman on duty to attend the fire and act as a watchman-labor was cheaper back then.

I still like the small office idea.

I'm just putting out some ideas. You could go either/or.

Should we start an ISL design thread, but with specific dimensions and era, just for giggles?
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

" If the world were perfect, it wouldn't be " - Yogi Berra.
odave Wrote:
Mike Kieran Wrote:Brakie has a point though. A lot of shortlines would not have an engine house and save money by eschewing with an enginehouse.

Here's a prototype example of a bare bones short line engine area: Detroit Connecting Railroad. They park their power in a fenced area on a switchback off the main. Google maps has a pretty good view too.

The Port Jersey also did that:

[Image: pictures%5C67365%5CPJRR%20-%201197%207-28-08.jpg]
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/pictures%5C67365%5CPJRR%201197%20&%20caboose%207-28-08.jpg">http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/pictur ... -28-08.jpg</a><!-- m -->

The Burlington Junction kept their motive power under Route 34:

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/pictures%5C21463%5CBJRY_44_TV880524S3421u.jpg">http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/pictur ... S3421u.jpg</a><!-- m -->

Ballard Terminal Railway:

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/pictures%5C55642%5C1e%2004-19-2010%20Seattle%20054.jpg">http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/pictur ... %20054.jpg</a><!-- m -->
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

Let's try this again:

Port Jersey Railroad along Port Jersey Blvd in Jersey City, NJ. I love the air conditioner next to the window on the caboose.

[Image: pictures%5C24157%5CPJRR%201197%20HACK%20072107.JPG]
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

The Burlington Junction kept their motive power under Route 34. This is where I got the idea for putting the locomotive under the overpass on my ISL.

[Image: pictures%5C21463%5CBJRY_44_TV880524S3421u.jpg]
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

The New England Southern:

[Image: pictures%5C64588%5CNES%202370.jpg]
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

Ballard Terminal Railway.

The locomotive is fenced in. The building next to the locomotive has nothing to do with the railroad. It contains a taxidermist.

[Image: pictures%5C55642%5C1e%2004-19-2010%20Seattle%20054.jpg]
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

And let's not forget my newest obsession, the Kendallville Terminal Railway. The caboose is on blocks in their yard.

[Image: kendalville2.jpg]
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

Larry...What does the "banking" of the fire involve..??

These pics are really neat...keep 'em comin'... Thumbsup

Might consider opening an ISL thread...We've "hijacked" this one long enough... Goldth
Gus (LC&P).
What does the "banking" of the fire involve?
---------------------------
There are several ways but,I will use what I was told by my grandfathers..

Basically that's where the coal is piled up against the sides of the firebox and away from the center of the firebox or you could bank it under the firebox door then the top of the coal pile was wet down so it would burn slower.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!
Folks, most shortlines don't have:

Engine facilities/houses. Fuel is delivered by truck, sanding performed using a forklift and bags of sand, maybe a shanty for lube oil, extra air hoses, spare knuckles, fusees, brake shoes, head light bulbs etc.
Not much of a yard if any...usually lucky to have a runaround/wye at each end of the line but not necessary.
Definitely, no defined switching or "drill" leads, and no arrival/departure tracks... those are for the big railroads. Lucky to have a pair of tracks or three to sort out cars before spotting industries. If not you use what industry tracks are available.
Office/fax machine/laptop- sometimes in a caboose office with solar panel on roof to charge batteries for portable fax and lights. Caboose can be used as an office, a "shoving platform" and a place for Santa to ride when you run Santa Specials at Christmas.

That's it. No fancy stuff until the revenue dollars start rolling in, the track is re-habbed (usually the new short line aquires track the big line didn't maintain and is crap), the business is growing and profits allow expansion.

This is often what a modern short line is like. I know, I have started up and managed a few.

Barry
Steamtrains Wrote:Might consider opening an ISL thread...We've "hijacked" this one long enough... Goldth

Worship
Justin Miller
Modeling the Lebanon Industrial Railway (LIRY)
Still playing around with track arrangements, right now I have set up Jack Hills earlier NCIR track-plan,and it looks pretty good!
Justin Miller
Here is the design I have been toying with:[Image: LIRY.jpg]

It looks pretty good on benchwork and I have been operating it with Xtrkcad and it is quite fun, i think this may be the one.
Justin Miller
Nice simple track plan that appears to have plenty of operation. And only using three turnouts! Should be able to get something constructed and the layout in operation in a short amount of time. I especially like the concept of the plan where you're operating just a segment of a now abandoned railroad line as a separate company.
Ed
"Friends don't let friends build Timesavers"