Oldies but Goodies
Index of photos.
******** Oldies but Goodies thread photos posted here in Big Blue ********
******Person posting is listed. If no name it is my listing . ******
post 1, Lionel 4-6-2 Pacific, SP # 0635LTS.
post 5, MARX 4-6-4 Hudson, NYC # 6096.
post 6, By Running Bear, 2 photos, Bachmann 0-6-0 switcher, Loisiana & A.
post 7, Revell 0-6-0t OMAHA, UP.
post 8, Bowser 4-8-2, bronze mountain, NYO&W # 325.
post 9, Bowser 4-8-2, bronze mountain, NYO&W # 325 and second with unpainted boiler to show bronze casting.
post 10, By FiatFan, 2 photos.
1- Athearn 0-4-2 Vulcan.
2- Lindberg SW 1.
post 13, Mantua - Tyco 4-6-2 Pacific. Old all metal version.
post 14, Mantua - Tyco 2-8-2 Mikado. Old all metal version, CNJ # 922.
post 16, A C Gilbert 4-6-4 Hudson drive. Old AC drive. 2 photos of.
post 17, A C Gilbert 4-6-4 Hudson drive. Old AC drive. 2 more photos of.
post 18, A C Gilbert 4-6-4 Hudson, My repaint, NYC # 5052.
post 19, A C Gilbert 4-6-4 Hudson, My repaint, NYC # 5065.
post 20, A C Gilbert 4-6-4 Hudson, 2 photos.
1- Original NYC # 443.
2- Original NYC # 31005.
post 22, Fleischmann Electric locomotive, My repaint PRR.
post 24, HObbyline FM H-10-44, 3 photos.
1- HObbyline # 1000.
2- Pennsylvania # 1000.
3- Lehigh Valley, Drive is shown.
post 25, Marx 0-4-0t, NYC # 20.
post 27, Marx F3, Santa-Fe.
post 28, HO Train co. PRR J1 in brass.
post 29, HObbyline B&O FM H 10 44
post 30, Silvine 0-4-0t's
post 31, 2 CNJ surburban tankers.
post 34, John English Pacific 4-6-2

A place for old HO trains. The stuff that sturs memories. A.C.Gilbert, Revall, Varney, Penn Line, HObbyline, John English, Those old Brass Lines like HOTCO - The HO Train Company, Jem, Aristo Craft. And every other one you remember.
___Here I hope Is the Lionel Pacific # 0635LTS.
frank

Attached Files Image(s)

" It's a Heck of a Day " !!!!
Welcome I see you made it over here, You should show a Marx hudson or 2 in this post.
 My other car is a locomotive, ARHS restoration crew  
Picture posting worked just fine Frank! Glad you found your way over here! Welcome
Ralph
post 4

Thank you for the welcome guys. Glade to be here. Steve you know that marx hudson is going in. The old smokie's needs some recognition.
frank
post 5

The Marx Hudson
This is really a toy train. Every hobby started with toys. Model railroading had this locomotive appear at the right time. Marx made this engine well, but kept it a toy. It has detail without having detail. To a young eye it was really something, a big engine a Hudson. It had substance, a die cast boiler, and frame. It was tuff. What is needed for child’s play, it lasted. The loco has metal wheels on its right side and plastic wheels on its left. Electrical pickup for the left track was thro the tender. The metal wheels under the tender were in what is a EMD Bloomberg diesel truck, the kind you see under a GP7 not a steam engine tender. This is a surprisingly good running engine. It came with a few other toys added. It had a working head light and a smoke unit. It puffed smoke thro the use of a piston pumping air thro the smoke chamber, smoke that would fill a train room. It even has a chug to it. I do enjoy to this day running this engine.
frank

Here's one I have. 1970's Bachmann 0-6-0 w/pancake drive and smoke. This baby still runs.

[Image: DSCN0805.jpg]

[Image: DSCN0802.jpg]
15 year veteran fire fighter
Collector of Apple //e's

Beatus homo qui invenit sapientiam
post 7

The Revell 0-6-0t Omaha. Revell like Marx made this locomotive with a headlight and smoke. It also had a device to make a chugging sound. The center axel has a cam added to it so that it provides a high spot every rotation. This cams high spot comes in contact with a lever that is part of hollow cylinder that has some bb's in it making it a rattle. This cylinder is mounted on a shaft. The cylinder can slide foward and aft on this shaft. The Cylinder is kept centered on ths shaft by springs on both sides that keep it centered. The cam moves catching the lever moving it from center against the pressure of the spring. The cam moves out of contact with the lever releasing the cylinder. The cylinder snaps back to center rattiling the bb's, making a chug sound. And walla, every rotation either in foward or reverse causes the cylinder to make a chug sound.
frank

post 8

***Thinking of Bowser, most of their locomotive line of which all the steam is now gone. Their past steam kit line was not the old Penn Line, Varney but a remade, more detailed locomotive line. It just seams very few people wanted to build kits anymore. Bowser kits would not fit in this thread because they weren't of the older style. A properly built Bowser M1 mountain would compaire not exactly, but nicely to what is made today. Not many would put the necessary time into properly building a Bowser kit. Most people now seam to want instant gratification. Put the money down and have it. I'm drifting. Getting away from the thread.
** We forget that Bowser had it own past. This is no new company. It was a pioneer in the HO model train field. Bowsers Pacific, USRA Mountain, and Challenger are well remembered. The one I like the most is the Mountain. It was special because of it's Bronze construction. This loco's main parts were built to last a very long time. The boiler, drive frame, tender body, and tender frame will last a number of life times. The only weakness in it's design was it's actual drive parts. Age, wear, and tear items like the motor, insulators, linkage, gears and driver wheel rims will fail. The axels were good but the did rust. The drivers were cast and like castings of it's day corroded. At the time the mountain was made, this leaves the drivers and axels the only place Bowser could have improved this locomotive. That makes this a pretty darn good locomotive.
**Here is a photo of one that I had owned.

post 9

*** Here is a clear photo of a unpainted boiler for a bronz mountain behind a fully painted one. You can see the brassy bronz color of the boiler. Remember the drive frame, cylinders, pilot, trailing truck, tender, tender frame were all bronz. The front pilot frame was brass as well as the draw bar and tender trucks. So much was made to last a long time.

Here are a couple of oldies but goodies (well, maybe not goodies) from the '60s.

First up is an Athearn Little Monster 2-4-2 that I converted to an 0-4-2 because I could never get the pilot truck to stay on the track.
[Image: IMG_0312.jpg]

Then we have the ever popular Lindberg switcher. It was one of the earliest models to come with a factory installed "flywheel." The flywheel consisted of 3 or 4 metal washers pressed on to the motor shaft. The wheels were powered by spring and pulley, which worked about as well as the "flywheel."
[Image: p1130032.jpg]

Tom
Life is simple - Eat, Drink, Play with trains

Occupation: Professional Old Guy (The government pays me to be old.)
post 11

TOM : The Athearn LIL monster is a Vulcan 0-4-2. thats why the front pilot didn't work, their is to much underneath it to get in the way.
The Lindberg SW sure has a strange drive. with the shaft pulleys and spring coupling to transfer power. And doesn't it only have one powered truck? ********************* frank
toptrain Wrote:TOM : The Athearn LIL monster is a 0-4-2. thats why the front pilot didn't work, their is to much underneath it to get in the way. The Lindberg SW sure has a strange drive. with the shaft pulleys and spring coupling to transfer power. And doesn't it only have one powered truck? ********************* frank
Thanks for the info on the 0-4-2. When I received it in the '60s from a friend, it had the front pilot so I assumed it was supposed to be there.

Yes, the Lindberg had only one powered truck. I sent mine to a fellow mrr on another forum several years ago. He had purchased one of off e-bay and I sent it to him for spare parts.

Tom
Life is simple - Eat, Drink, Play with trains

Occupation: Professional Old Guy (The government pays me to be old.)
post 13

The Mantua all metal pacific 4-6-2.

post 14

The OLD all die cast 2-8-2 Mikado made bt Mantua. I have painted it for the CNJ as # 922. The tender, cab, and front pilot which are plastic, on the original locos were made of die cast metal.

How about an AF Hudson. I think you still have a few with different motor types in them.
 My other car is a locomotive, ARHS restoration crew