MARKETING!!!
I just had to go to the local hardware store for a couple of bolts, and while there my wife requested I pick up some 100 watt light bulbs.
I found the prominent display for the 8 bulb value pack for only $6.99. Being I'm cheap Chuck, I think, this is a rather expensive pack of bulbs, perhaps the store prices are just too high. Well, I turn around and at the same level on a shelf are the exact bulbs in the expensive 4 pack for $1.99.
You gotta watch these merchandisers. Icon_lol
Charlie
Good catch! sometimes it's because the new stock has gone up but the old stock hasnt been price adjusted.

I always check for a lower ticket price if there's more than one item laying around, put in the extra effort can save big nowadays
Tom

Model Conrail

PM me to get a hold of me.
Shame on you... 35 35 35

What the heck are you doing buying 100 watt incandescent light bulbs for???

You should be buying 23 watt compact fluorescent bulbs!!!

Turn 'em off for Earth Hour and don't turn 'em back on until you get more energy efficient...

Cheers Cheers Cheers Cheers Cheers
Ron Wm. Hurlbut
Toronto, Ontario, Dominion of Canada
Ontario Narrow Gauge Show
Humber Valley & Simcoe Railway Blog
Earth hour?
What ever happened to Earth day?
Torrington, Ct.
NARA Member #87
I went to my Happy Place, but it was closed for renovations.
TinGoat Wrote:Shame on you... 35 35 35

What the heck are you doing buying 100 watt incandescent light bulbs for???

You should be buying 23 watt compact fluorescent bulbs!!!

Turn 'em off for Earth Hour and don't turn 'em back on until you get more energy efficient...

Cheers Cheers Cheers Cheers Cheers
I sure hope you were posting this toung in cheek.
Charlie
When the new spiral bulbs started to become popular, the regular types came down in price, and my ever thrifty, beautiful wife bought a bunch of them. Now, what am I supposed to do with them??
I only know what I know, and I don't understand very much of it, either.
Member: AEA, American Legion, Lions Club International
Motto: "Essayons"
Charlie B Wrote:I sure hope you were posting this tongue in cheek.
Charlie

Of course.

It all depends on how we want to destroy the planet.

By using more energy and putting more carbon into the atmosphere. [100 watt bulbs]

Or

By putting more toxic crap into landfill. [All the nasty chemicals and heavy metals in CFL's]

Icon_lol

Can't really win, either way...

It all comes down to MARKETING!!!

As for Earth Hour...

The view from my 20th floor condo, I couldn''t tell the difference. There were a few office buildings downtown that turned the lights off between 8:30 and 9:30 this evening, but all the street lights and many other lights stayed on.

The city may have been a little dimmer, but it didn't get dark.
Ron Wm. Hurlbut
Toronto, Ontario, Dominion of Canada
Ontario Narrow Gauge Show
Humber Valley & Simcoe Railway Blog
Unfortunately, the lfourescent bulbs do not work in outside applications such as porch and garage lights. The new ones might be more efficient, but until the new ones can do the same job in all settings there will still be use for plain old incandescents. I use 45 watts for outside lights, myself. I just need to see adequately, not signal to the Hubble. 8-)
Ah, but in hot climates the CFLs don't warm up my house nearly so much (heat that my AC has to remove).
--
Kevin
Check out my Shapeways creations!
3-d printed items in HO/HOn3 and more!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s-model-train-detail-parts">https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s ... tail-parts</a><!-- m -->
2 for the price of one..?? Posts, I mean... Misngth
Gus (LC&P).
Steamtrains Wrote:2 for the price of one..?? Posts, I mean... Misngth

Deleting does not appear to be an option. :?
MountainMan Wrote:Unfortunately, the fluorescent bulbs do not work in outside applications such as porch and garage lights.
They work quite well in my front and back porch light here in northern Iowa. I even checked them when it reached -27F earlier this year, just to see if they would work. It took a minute or so for them to reach full brightness but they did light as soon as I flipped the switch.

Tom
Life is simple - Eat, Drink, Play with trains

Occupation: Professional Old Guy (The government pays me to be old.)
I tried using one in the desk lamp at work and my eyes were hurting less than 5 minutes later. Nope

I ended up putting the incandescent bulb back in and there were no more problems. I just turn the lamp off when I'm away from the desk or when I can see my reports clearly.
FiatFan Wrote:
MountainMan Wrote:Unfortunately, the fluorescent bulbs do not work in outside applications such as porch and garage lights.
They work quite well in my front and back porch light here in northern Iowa. I even checked them when it reached -27F earlier this year, just to see if they would work. It took a minute or so for them to reach full brightness but they did light as soon as I flipped the switch.

Tom

The ones sold here in Colorado specifically specify "No outdoor use".
MountainMan Wrote:The ones sold here in Colorado specifically specify "No outdoor use".
Hmmm! I may have to actually read the package next time. Icon_lol

Tom
Life is simple - Eat, Drink, Play with trains

Occupation: Professional Old Guy (The government pays me to be old.)