Sand Tower - a la Good, Good Whole Wheat Shreddies!
Beautiful little structure.... Thumbsup
I'm just gonna ignore posts of structures from now on....I want one of everything I see here.... Nope
That said, I WILL make me one of these...!!
Gus (LC&P).
Steamtrains Wrote:Beautiful little structure.... Thumbsup
I'm just gonna ignore posts of structures from now on....I want one of everything I see here.... Nope
That said, I WILL make me one of these...!!

It's a bit of downspiral ain't it. :?

I'm finishing up on this one and thinking, "Well, if I have a Sand Tower, I'm going to need a Water Tower...and if I have a Water Tower I might as well build a Small Coaling Tower... It never ends. Since I like to scratch buiild so much I insist on searching for plans and/or drawings that appeal to my interests and layout design goals. So it does slow down the process as bit.

Thanks to all for the compliments. I put the windows in last night, however I'm going to hold off on doing any landscaping until I install the structure on the layout.

This is an Alexander Scale models, wood kit of a Fairbanks Morse 100 ton coal tower.
I still have the full size drawings ( instruction set ) that came with the kit.
If you're interested I could scan them and email, or scan, print, and snail mail.
( PM me if you're interested )

Icon_twisted Icon_twisted Don't worry, it's just "temptation" knocking at your door. Icon_twisted 8-) 357
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
Oh Sump... you are an evil man. Just this evening I was looking at an RMC mag at an article for a CPR Covered Water Tower. The plans to build are already brewing. Icon_twisted
Tetters,Sumpter...Does either one of you have drawings of this sanding structure..?? Goldth
Gus (LC&P).
Steamtrains Wrote:Tetters,Sumpter...Does either one of you have drawings of this sanding structure..?? Goldth

Gus, The original construction article, by Jack Work, was published in the December 1958 Model Railroader.
If you can't get a copy of that issue, PM me with your email address, and I can scan the article and upload the files to the email reply.
Jack Work, was one of my earliest model building "mentors", and I must have built, and / or scratch-bashed, just about every one of his 'projects'.
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
Thanks Sumpter. I'll try to track that down. If "no-go" I'll let you know.
Gus (LC&P).
Sumpter250 Wrote:...Jack Work, was one of my earliest model building "mentors", and I must have built, and / or scratch-bashed, just about every one of his 'projects'.

I never built any of his projects, but always enjoyed reading about them and enjoyed his drawings and photos, too. One that I recall most vividly was the CNR coaling tower, I believe at Fort Rouge, a most impressive structure.

Wayne
I picked up my drawings for the sand tower off of the Canadian Pacific Historical Assoc. website. You have to register before you can look at their online library however its free and there are hundreds of uploaded drawings and schematics. Sump also sent me a scanned copy of his article which was helpful when constructing the dry bin on top of the tower.
Off topic:
Jack Work did most of the models on the BC train (with the Royal Hudson) that toured Canada in the mid-70s. They inspired us to take a trip out west.
At the Calgary NMRA convention, I was on a bus tour that Jack was on; I didn't talk to him. Sad :cry:
David
Moderato ma non troppo
Perth & Exeter Railway Company
Esquesing & Chinguacousy Radial Railway
In model railroading, there are between six and two hundred ways of performing a given task.
Most modellers can get two of them to work.
Tetters, Sump...Thanks for the info....I printed out the drawings from the CPHA website, now I could use the scans from MRR.... Goldth

There's no hurry for this...It'll have to go at the bottom of the To-Do list... Nope
Gus (LC&P).
Hey, I like your use of cardboard. It's so often overlooked. THe board pattern is very convincing.

Matt
Proudly modelling Quebec Railway Light & Power Company since 1997.

Hedley-Junction Club Layout: http://www.hedley-junction.blogspot.com/

Erie 149th Street Harlem Station http://www.harlem-station.blogspot.com/