EMD's GP 7 & 9, recognition of
Hello Everyone---interesting thread---here's a couple of TH&B geeps---#403 is a torpedo equipped GP-9,while #77 is a GP-7---both these locomotives prototypes were built by the General Motors plant in London Ontario in the early 50's

[Image: 2003019.jpg]

#403 is a Proto 2000 model

[Image: 2003017.jpg]

#77 is a custom painted Atlas model
Here are photos of a old Globe, Athearn GP9s

The Globe, early Athearn GP9, phase 1. ATSF Zebra Stripe. I had 5 of these bodies. I changed the road name on 4 to the ANNA RR. Then I swaped one for a friends for one of his privet roads. I still have the original ATSF and the other 3 ANNA RR geeps.

*** Here is my ANNA RR GP9, phase 1. I didn't change numbers on any of them. I am hopeing that my over paint may be removeable later.

*** Here is a good photo of the roof detail on this locomotive. left to right ! Over the second fan is a cold weather hatch. Centered between the exaust stacks is the Dynamic break detail. last forward on the short hood roof is the steam generator detail for passenger equiped GPs. You notice that the standard horn holes in the short hood roof are missing. This denotes a original Globe Geep. Both Globe and Athearn released this road name and number. Athearn used this body for a short time then changed it to it's horn on the roof common version. Maybe just using up the bodies that were originaly cast by Globe.

" It's a Heck of a Day " !!!!
Russ, looking at Wayne's first pic, you can see why torpedo GPs don't have dynamic brakes. There are 4 tanks on top (small diameter to keep the profile low), which would have interfered with the fan and resistor bank fairings. Dynamic wasn't a popular option for passenger power, as it wasn't terribly reliable in that time period and caused slack action (to the discomfort of passengers)...Sure looked cool, though! Bob C.
James Thurber - "It is better to know some of the questions than all of the answers."
Bob C Wrote:Russ, looking at Wayne's first pic, you can see why torpedo GPs don't have dynamic brakes. There are 4 tanks on top (small diameter to keep the profile low), which would have interfered with the fan and resistor bank fairings. Dynamic wasn't a popular option for passenger power, as it wasn't terribly reliable in that time period and caused slack action (to the discomfort of passengers)...Sure looked cool, though! Bob C.

I figured that dynamics would not work with the torpedo tubes due to clearance and perhaps overheating issues, but I was afraid that as soon as I said that the passenger equipped Gp7 or 9 versus dynamics was an either/or proposition, someone would come up with a pic to show that I was wrong. I just knew that I have quite a bit of reference material for the Santa Fe in the 1930's-1950's and never saw steam generators or "tropedo tubes" on any unit equipped with dynamic brakes.
***************** Mike
On passenger power GP7 and 9's . The most distinguishable differences between the freight and passenger GP7 and 9's is they had to supply heat to the cars of that time. They needed steam generators. That is the detail on the short hood roof. You will also see this on passenger equiped F3 to F9s
frank

If you look at a GP7 then a GP9 phase 1 over the fuel tank is 4 elongated block somethings. This is the only thing I notice as different on these two locos.
frank
Great Pictures. Cheers
Matt
I can smell a steam post ten blocks away and when I do clear the tracks because the steam express will be hi ballin through
http://cambriaindiana.weebly.com/
Quote:I figured that dynamics would not work with the torpedo tubes due to clearance and perhaps overheating issues, but I was afraid that as soon as I said that the passenger equipped Gp7 or 9 versus dynamics was an either/or proposition, someone would come up with a pic to show that I was wrong.
CP had dynamic braked "torpedo tube" GP9s.
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.mountainrailway.com/Roster%20Archive/CP%208500A/CP%208523-2.htm">http://www.mountainrailway.com/Roster%2 ... 8523-2.htm</a><!-- m -->
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.mountainrailway.com/Roster%20Archive/CP%208500A/CP%208529-2.htm">http://www.mountainrailway.com/Roster%2 ... 8529-2.htm</a><!-- m -->
Fan of late and early Conrail... also 40s-50s PRR, 70s ATSF, BN and SP, 70s-80s eastern CN, pre-merger-era UP, heavy electric operations in general, dieselized narrow gauge, era 3/4 DB and DR, EFVM and Brazilian railroads in general... too many to list!
[Image: CP%208523-2.jpg]

What is that coming out of its fuel tank? :|
That would probably be water, the fuel filler has the red patch around it, IIRC.
It's not fuel, that is water coming out of the water tank. That unit is used in passenger service with a steam generator. It would appear that they used shorter air tanks so that they could leave the dynamic brakes clear. In the case of the Santa Fe, they had a few freight Gp7's and 9's equipped with steam generators. They also had a few blue and yellow f-units equipped with steam generators in the b units that could be used in either freight or passenger service. I think that way they could cover whatever motive power requirements they faced whether for extra freight power or in case needed for passenger power for extra sections of passenger trains. I don't think the geeps or the blue and yellow f's were used on name trains like the Chief or Super Chief, although they might have been used on the Grand Canyon. They were used quite often in So Cal on the Del Mar specials, and I think I've seen pictures of them pulling the San Diegan on occasion.
I haven't modeled diesels for many years so it's good to know my memory hasn't gone south yet. Big Grin