GEC's Layout Progress
Wow! you are just up the road from here. I am down in Sicklerville.
Stu McGee Wrote:Wow! you are just up the road from here. I am down in Sicklerville.

yeah, have you ever been to the Burlington County Model railroad club? show season starts soon, though i'm sure you can go on a meeting day and check things out. i also frequent sattler's.
Modeling New Jersey Under the Wire 1978-1979.  
[Image: logosmall.png]
Well i got some new updates, but no pictures. I just had a lucrative haul at the Greenberg Trainshow in Edison.

The top acquisition is a brand new unpainted E44A electric. This differs from my other E44 in that it is more recent, runs better, looks A LOT better, and is the "A" model, with the silicon diode rectifiers as opposed to the old ignitron type initially used. It is built by Alpha Brass, and i have a plan to procure atleast two more such models. I plan to paint it as Conrail 4461. The old Alco models E44 was from 1968 (no surprise it has problems), while this one was released in the late 80s sometime, and is much better proportioned (for example, the Alco Models is too short). You could never run the Alco models with the Alpha Models, but if you have an Alco, its better than nothing and it would probably look fine on it's own or paired with other Alco Models.

Next on the list are two funaro & camerlengo PRR MP54 EMU kits and pantographs. While the last thing i need is more EMUs (now i need to find more powered trucks...), I figured i'd buy a pair since i do like the electrics and Pennsy stuff so much, so now i have MP54s and Silverliner IIs in the pennsy passenger car department. I have no idea when i'll build those kits, but it will be soon.

I also have purchased new tank and hopper cars for the planned Magic Pan Bakery. I bought

Intermountain Domino Sugar tank car (damn are the details nice and small on those things! i'm afraid to move it off the layout... ever).
Walthers 1,600 gallon Cargill Corn Syrup car
Walthers 50' Wonderbread/Hostess Cakes Airslide hopper
Walthers 50' Amaizo airslide hopper

Last but not least, i have a Walthers Conrail Jordan Spreader. thats another kit for another day, but since i already have a athearn 200 ton crane, C32-8, and other MoW stuff, i figured i might as well just pick up the spreader. it seems like they are used everywhere anyway.
Well, here is a picture of my train show haul. I think i did well. I pretty much explained it all above.

[Image: 8909modeltrainstuff008.jpg]

I'm really excited about the MP54 kits. they are a little before my modeling era, but i love the Pennsy electric stuff just the same. That, and you guys probably caught on i like the commuter equipment.

[Image: 8909modeltrainstuff009.jpg]

The E44A is a real good catch. it even has the control stand in the windows, on top of see-through grills and other details lacking on the Alco Models E44. this one also looks better over all, and really captures the look of the E44, which the Alco Models lacked.

[Image: 8909modeltrainstuff021.jpg]

I also finished the main plant and office of the Magic Pan bakery, so i set that down in place of American Hardware Supply. Its looking pretty good so far

[Image: 8909modeltrainstuff023.jpg]

[Image: 8909modeltrainstuff025.jpg]

Its a little boring from this angle, but I'm sure some small trees and a sign will do the trick.

[Image: 8909modeltrainstuff028.jpg]

The only real problem is that Magic pan itself is much shorter than American Hardware supply, and it doesn't do a good job "seperating the scene" like American Hardware did. However, i figure from most of my photos, that its tall enough that if i keep my shots low, you won't see across. as far as me operating it, i can get used to it. Its definitely bringing variety into my layout.

[Image: 8909modeltrainstuff029.jpg]

in the past i had to get rid of my oil tankers, and so i has just boxcars and some hoppers. Now i can ran all sorts of corn syrup tank cars, and insulated boxcars, as well as several different types of hoppers carrying in whatever is needed. Its better than the same old. besides, these cars come with awesome graphics that match the time periods i'd like to model, like the Air slide hoppers.

[Image: 8909modeltrainstuff030.jpg]

[Image: 8909modeltrainstuff031.jpg]
Nice haul.

That E44 would sure look good in Hew Haven's "McGuinness" theme.
Torrington, Ct.
NARA Member #87
I went to my Happy Place, but it was closed for renovations.
eightyeightfan1 Wrote:Nice haul.

That E44 would sure look good in Hew Haven's "McGuinness" theme.

Yeah, but its getting Conrailed, lol. I don't think New Haven ever had E44s though. they did have those E33s.
Nice progress Chris!! Im liking that Magic Pan Bakery Complex, its looking really nice!! Thumbsup Thumbsup
Josh Mader

Maders Trains
Offering everyday low prices for the Model Railroad World
Trucklover Wrote:Nice progress Chris!! Im liking that Magic Pan Bakery Complex, its looking really nice!! Thumbsup Thumbsup

yeah, i'm not even done with it, lol. I still need to build the silos, and also, i have some plans for making corn syrup tank car unloading facilities.

i figured you might also like the 6 axle electric power
Green_Elite_Cab Wrote:Yeah, but its getting Conrailed, lol. I don't think New Haven ever had E44s though. they did have those E33s.

My bad..Your right.
Still.....would look good.
Torrington, Ct.
NARA Member #87
I went to my Happy Place, but it was closed for renovations.
I began working on casting the E44. This is an old 1968 brass shell from Alco models. The plan is to make a resin copy, then modify the copy to match the E44 more closely. As it stands, the Alco E44 (unlike my new Alpha E44A) is to short by a half inch (not sure what that translates in scale feet), not square enough, and is lacking some vents on the side. Also, plastic is just easier to work with as far as super detailing goes anyway. It also gives me the opportunity to build up a larger fleet of E44s for cheap, if i can produce a reasonable casting. I could also mount these shells (if made the correct prototype length) onto the Bachmann E33 chassis. the only problem after that would be pantographs!

In this photo i have all the holes, gaps, and grab irons that i did not remove filled with special blue clay that keeps casting silicone out of the model. I will also add a vent into the shell so that it does not rise up out of the silicone (this has already happened once, disastrously). Legos make a good customizable mold box.

[Image: 81109modeltrainstuff001.jpg]

I'm not going to be trying to cast the E44A, it would be to much of a mess to do. That said, i could conceivably make my own E44As should i want more. We'll see where that goes.

I also am half finished with the silos for Magic Pan. all they need is their piping and other fittings. Vents and things will go on, then its on to adding decals and weathering the whole model.

[Image: 81109modeltrainstuff011.jpg]

[Image: 81109modeltrainstuff012.jpg]

Finally, my C32-8. i still do some truck side frames, and the under body detail, but its more or less put together. Its not looking as well as I'd like, but I'm sure i can fix that. The detail work is good, i just can't ever seem paint anything right.

[Image: 81109modeltrainstuff030.jpg]

[Image: 81109modeltrainstuff029.jpg]
Green_Elite_Cab Wrote: The detail work is good, i just can't ever seem paint anything right.

[Image: 81109modeltrainstuff030.jpg]

[Image: 81109modeltrainstuff029.jpg]
No need to, ever look at one of those guys, they are always dirty, so just add some heavy weathering to it

[Image: cr6610beccab.jpg]

[Image: cr6612cfbe.jpg]

[Image: cr6612tankbe.jpg]
Tom

Model Conrail

PM me to get a hold of me.
"Nice piece of JUNK!" Icon_lol
I've seen some graffiti but that takes the cake!
TrainNut Wrote:"Nice piece of JUNK!" Icon_lol
I've seen some graffiti but that takes the cake!

Yeah, they weren't very well liked. They had bad wiring that often shorted or corroded. Its a shame none were saved though, there were the original Dash-8s. all other dash-8s come from them.

I thought about adding something like that to mine, but i think i'm just gonna make it dirty!

In other news, here is an overall shot of the new industrial area.

[Image: 81109modeltrainstuff038.jpg]
slightly more recent C32-8 photos, though i haven't done anything on it since the contest rush, so i will add the underbody details soon.

[Image: 81309modeltrainstuff011.jpg]

[Image: 81309modeltrainstuff001.jpg]

its electric!

[Image: 92309gaugecontest009.jpg]

[Image: 92309gaugecontest028.jpg]

Side project-

[Image: 92309gaugecontest005t.jpg]
No photos yet, but externally, my PL42AC is completely decaled and painted, and just needs to have a motor and decoder installed, along with the lights.

Similarly, my Arrow III has all its decals applied, though i still have work to do on it's wiring. and assemble some final pieces.

If you've seen my other thread, I'm going to try a more realistic approach to catenary, and see where it gets me. I'll try to update that there. Right now, i'm trying to figure out what needs work on my layout. Very soon i'm going to be re-working a lot of my model's for my club's show season, so that will be taking up my limited time. I'm really hoping to clean up the last of my mess down in the basement, and maybe start running some trains again.

Depending on the situation, i might end up with some Silverliner IV EMUs (to be paintes Reading/SEPTA, 1970s paint scheme), or i might end up with some Phase V Acela regional AEM7s, which i will try to convert to a AEM7-AC.

I plan on attending the Model Transit show in the Rutger's Gymnasium in New Brunswick. It is definitely worth it if you model Commuter, subway, or trolley models of any era, though the focus tends to be local to the NY-Philly area. Its cool to see the operating layouts though, so show up.

It is October 24, and i think its $20 to get in. If anyone wants more details, i can provide them.