GEC's Layout Progress
Im really liking the light gray CR unit Chris!!
Josh Mader

Maders Trains
Offering everyday low prices for the Model Railroad World
Trucklover Wrote:Im really liking the light gray CR unit Chris!!

I forgot to mention i have progress on that C32-8 as well, but not to much. I worked on super detailing all of the truck side frames, and now i just need to add truck-specific parts like the various cables that run from the truck to the locomotive. I'm unclear how i will do the brake chain, but I'll find a way (perhaps an piece of hooked wire in the shell? )

I think some custom Finishing parts will match, so i will see how it all goes. So far, I've totally surpassed the brass model of the same locomotive at my club in terms of looks. I just need to put sound in it and i win!
Modeling New Jersey Under the Wire 1978-1979.  
[Image: logosmall.png]
I have just received two new AEM7s (Amtrak Phase V), a Phase II Amtrak E60CH, a Viewliner, Some airslide, flexi flo hoppers, and some 2300/1600 gal. "food service" tank cars, as well as a waffle side car.

A General Electric "Power for Progress" pamphlet from what i'm guessing is around the late 60s. (time line ends with E44s, U25B and the original U50)

i also got new books, including:

AEM7-AC operators manual
Conrail, Volume one 1976-1982
Conrail Motive Power Review volume one 1976-1986,
Pennsy Electric Years Volume 2
Amtrak Annual 1978-1979
The Pennsylvania The eastern Lines
New Haven EP5 Jets
The Pennsylvania railroad under wire
New Haven Railroad the Final Decade,
New Haven Color Pictorial Volume one- The West End
GE locomotives
Trackside Around New Jersey 1968-1983
Trackside under Pennsy Wires
Under Pennsy Wires (different book totally)
Iron Horses Across the Garden State: New York to Philadelphia by Rail
PRR Hudson to Horseshoe
Trains of the Northeast Corridor
Amtrak at Milepost 10
CURSES!

My E60MA #610, long one of my favorite models, is giving me endless trouble. A couple weeks ago, it was just a popped wire and some oil. then it was shorting out the decoder, now i think it blew my light bulbs, if not the decoder, and the decals began coming off, whole details detached, and some windows look like that got fogged somehow (i think some crystal cote got on them, but that is weird, since it has never hurt my windows in the past). I've fixed just about everything but the windows,

I devised a new decoder mounting method, and re did the wire-layout within the locomotive to avoid trouble again. I made sure to cover up the other windows that weren't sprayed yet (though i wish i could put new windows in there to), I re-attached all the details that crumbled off, touched up paint and decals, and crystal-coated the whole thing, which was a dramatic improvement in my book. I'll probably dull cote it though, just to tone it down a little.

the only real trouble is going to be the window glazing. Some of it i was able to get the fog out, but it still has a rippled look to it. I heard there is window glazing polish for models out there, so i was curious if anyone had any suggestions?

I'm using up windows meant for my other E60MA that i haven't started building yet, but i didn't permanently mount those windows into #610 so i can pull them out easily. Its going to be a problem getting new parts for this thing. The last ones were made in the late 80s by Walthers until they literally broke the mold. I got lucky one night and found to Ebay listings of American GK E60 parts, but i lost one of the bids and while i got the bigger more complete set, it only gave me one set of windows. I'd rather not buy a whole new E60 for the windows because that is a waste.

I'm not sure i could make my own windows either. How would i deal with the corners? I'm reluctant to try and mold the windows for these as well.

In other news, i'd like to start an AEM7-AC project soon. I think i can pull this off without having to pick up any "new" parts, just rearranging the ones i already have. The only problem i can see having, is that my unit is already painted in Phase V, and i'd hate to ruin the paint, but i do have chisel some molded on detail. I'm thinking of using the sharpest razors i have and getting it down as close as possible, i think I have a steady enough hand. I can find blue paint that will match.
Additional madness with the E60MA includes a broken truck gear box. THE LIST DOESN"T END! i knew something was wrong when the bearing fell out. Unfortuneately, i have no spare trucks for it. The only thing i could do is temprorarily nab my C32-8's trucks, but it will be a pain, and i'd rather not.
I've been getting more work done. I picked up that bull-frog snot, and applied it to most of my AEM7s, my HHP-8, Challenger, and E44 #4457. Next might be my bachmann E60CP, but for now i'll test what i have. If the AEM7 can pull a whole long distance train up our hill, i'll be pleased.

I've also patched my old Erie Lackawanna SD45 for Conrail. it is now Conrail 6094, i just need to change the number boards. If i get a decoder in, it will look nice on the "hill" of my club with my Conrail Kato SD40 and Genesis SD45-2.
I've successfully managed to increase the pulling power of my AEM7s and ALP44s by adding an ounce of weight in one end, and putting the bullfrog snot on an axle below that weight.

I can now coax my ALP44 to push an 8-care train up a long 4% grade, which may almost be beyond the capabilities of the real thing (I think they have a realistic limit of something around 10 cars on the straight and level). the ultimate goal is to get the power of an AEM7-AC, and be able to pull a long distance train with it, though i think thats gonna require more weight.

I've also got a replacement truck for the E60MA, which may actually be repaired in time to run in this year's train show. If i add that bull frog snot, it is guaranteed that it will be able to pull the heavy amtrak train i want up that 4% grade by itself ( I've seen it do it when it had dirty wheels that gave it traction. this snot should make it work).

Speaking of my club's trainshow, If you live near the philadelphia/ South Jersey Area, keep an eye out on the local news channel when they have a "things to do" segment. I can't remember exactly which channel it is, but we are getting a TV spot to advertise that is sometime around 7 am/pm (i'll check). our club was filming the other thursday, and my trains were the only ones running. If you see a pair of Conrails or an NJ transit train, its probably mine! yay TV!

last but not least, i recently repainted and decaled to models. I painted on E44A blue (it will be Conrail 4456, which was repainted early 1977 from the photos i've seen), and i patched a Spectrum Erie Lackawanna SD45 to match a unit that was common in NJ and i don't think it was ever given the blue. it needs some detail work, but no big deal.

notice the siding behind the SD45 has been removed, so that a normal catenary pole will fit. there will now only be one tank car unloading track.

[Image: catenaryjigs018.jpg]

the E44A is so glossy (prep for the decals), that the blue on the pilot is actually a reflection, not a bad paint job! once the decals are on, a good layer of dullcote should bring it down!

[Image: catenaryjigs012.jpg]

thats it for now.
Well, it is my birthday to day! YAY ME! 2285_

in any event, i got me 6 first run bachmann metroliners, 1 powered and 5 dummies. the dummies run smoothly, but i'm going to have to rebuild this power car regardless. I'll probably put in a power truck like i did on my Arrow III EMU cars. These ones run smooth and fast enough to satisfy me.

bachmann isn't always the best brand, but in the case of the metroliners they are exceptionally good for their age. In fact, more recent "runs" of metroliners are worse, lacking detail, having crappier drives, and plastic pantographs.

I've also got the paints i need to finish up my E44As, though i DO need more Conrail decals. I might try and put PRR numbers and decals on the cab (some PRR #s and such lasted well into conrail, since the units typically only got patched CR from Penn Central).

speaking of the E44As, i fixed the paint on the blue unit, i just need to make some more adjustments, and I'll seal it in.

I may also light one of my Commuter Cab Cars soon, but we'll see how that goes. I have TCS lighting function decoder, and i think it might work better than the digitrax i'm working with.

This is the E44A prior to me fixing the paint. It a little rough because i had to remove some layers of it. It just needs a finer clear-coat and it will look right.

[Image: 112209e44a4456andtrainc.jpg]

hopefully, this cab car will have headlights.

[Image: finaltouches007jpgediteec9.jpg]
Happy Birthday!

Looks Good!

- Dan
It's a good feeling to see someone so focused and attentive to modeling a particular region & time period(s). Nothing against a bit of everything, but your passion for these particular trains comes through in your modeling.

Nice work on the Conrail unit, and happy birthday.

Galen
I may not be a rivet counter, but I sure do like rivets!
ocalicreek Wrote:It's a good feeling to see someone so focused and attentive to modeling a particular region & time period(s). Nothing against a bit of everything, but your passion for these particular trains comes through in your modeling.

Nice work on the Conrail unit, and happy birthday.

Galen

thanks!

Yeah, i recently decided I'm going to try and stick to the time from 1976-1981, (so i can get my Conrail electrics running), though i might zero in closer to 1979 since that was the year Conrail retired its GG1s, and i also have a book that covers ALL Amtrak trains from 1978-1979 (what locomotives, what consists on what days on specific trains).

I'll probably still do some modern trains (I still after all love to cover the trains i grew up with), but I'm going to try an focus on this earlier time period. I'm banking on Arrow II MUs being available soon from IHP. The Arrow IIs ran ALL over the place, from New York to Harrisburg, Philly, and Delaware, all with their NJ DOT logos, which would allow them to match my modeling time period, but they are a long way off.

In fact, it seems the hardest part about this time period is finding the commuter stuff. My U34CHs wouldn't run on the corridor, and other than one IHC GG1, those were my only NJ DOT engines. While i think i could build a GP7-P (had little boxes on the ends for HEP, i think), the much more common GP40Ps will be tough. The Arrow IIs are not yet available, and the Arrow IIIs will not be run again until much later (not to mention these kits are expensive).

There are also so many passenger cars used in this period that its hard to keep track. half of them were former Great Northern cars, others were odd-balls from the Southern, CNJ and other local commuter lines that folded into conrail. It was a colorful time period in the New Jersey to say the least. Hopefully i can find more books on the subject.

I have been otherwise lucky, building a good rectifier fleet and i have most Amtrak Electrics and Metroliner MUs that would run during that time period, so i suppose this is the last bit left to find.
Cleaning the layout!

I have let my work areas and layout get very cluttered! I just need to finish fixing some boxes and shelves sometime tomorrow, and then I'll get the boxes off the layout. Hopefully, i can start doing a REAL cleaning of the layout, get some of that dust off, and maybe fill in a few holes in the scenery this week. I'm definitely thinking about adding some more trees, and maybe a swampy area (the area where i model has an area known as "the Meadows", which is pretty much marshiness. i'll do whatever is convenient i suppose.

I might actually run some trains, something i haven't done in a while at home (focused alot at my club).

[Image: 81109modeltrainstuff017.jpg]

[Image: 81109modeltrainstuff019.jpg]
Green_Elite_Cab Wrote:I have let my work areas and layout get very cluttered!

Isn't that standard for railroad modelers? My workbench seems to be a perpetual state of clutter.

P.S. I REALLY like that Conrail unit! Sweet.
Three Foot Rule In Effect At All Times
Gary S Wrote:
Green_Elite_Cab Wrote:I have let my work areas and layout get very cluttered!

Isn't that standard for railroad modelers? My workbench seems to be a perpetual state of clutter.

P.S. I REALLY like that Conrail unit! Sweet.

You're probably right, which explains why my photos are going away from the layout in the next couple progress shots (trust me, behind the camera is a mess so huge you need a hard hat and a narrow gauge tram to get to the layout).

These are the only two models i got for Christmas, but i can't complain. On the Left is a Brand new E33 that I plan to renumber into Conrail 4608. On the right, is a Atlas gold Conrail GP40-2, sound and all! The only thing it needs are a cab vent and a cab signal box, and it will be ready to roll. The GP40-2 is of Reading Company heritage, so i will see if there are any hints of Reading i can add.

both could use some weathering, but I'll see how things go.

[Image: christmas2009aquisitions.jpg]

For my birthday earlier this month, i got a new set of Metroliner electric multiple units. these got really beat up in shipping, and two didn't make it well, but i will rebuild these into Metroliner cabs. This means i have about 8 good metro liner cars. While i plan to repaint many into their "PRR/PC" scheme (which lasted fairly long into amtrak), i may also try to make some of the rebuild version of these cars, with the roof humps. Still working on the stemman pantographs as well (need those for the Arrow III multiple unit cars as well).

[Image: christmas2009aquisition.jpg]

Because i have decided to stick more to the late 1970s and early 1980s, I also picked up this E60CH back in october, as well as several freight car kits, and additional Amtrak viewliner cars for my modern amtrak train at the club.

This E60 is a kit, but these are simple kits and I could build this in an afternoon (probably soon).

Among the freight cars were additional corn syrup/vegetable oil tankers, a boxcar, as well as Cylindrical, Flexi-flo and airslide hoppers. These are all so that i have some more traffic to my magic Pan bakery. I still need to build the boxcar, and airslide, and the cylindrical hopper (an intermoutain Pillsbury Hopper kit that is fairly intimidating).

I plan to repaint and rebuild the flexi-flo hoppers one day so that they look much more realistic. these are old AHM cars, and are pretty much the only model of their type of car. they showed up frequently enough on Conrail, so i figured it would be fun.

[Image: christmas2009aquisitionq.jpg]

Finally, i have some model progress.

It looks REALLY dusty from sitting on my shelf, but this PL42AC is almost ready to run. THe decals are now totally complete, and It's drive is ready. All it needs is a decoder and LOTS of lights. this model in real life was built new in 2007, and it has full ditch lights, headlights, and marker lights on both ends. when i brush it off, i might add additional orange trim to the grab irons.

I also got some work done on my MP54 Multiple Unit cars. I put it together loosely for the photo, but it still needs work. the Funaro & Camerlengo kits are nice, but their trucks are terrible. the rear truck broke, and the only reason i don't complain is that the sideframe is still good, and if i power this model, i can still use that side frame over the underfloor power truck. I hope to eventually add seats and an interior, as the windows are MUCH to open to just leave it plain on the inside.

However, with the Concor MP54 MUs likely on the horizon, i think these will be the last kits of these models i do, so i hope to make them REAL good. don't let these photos trick you, they are still under construction. when they are done, they will look nice.

[Image: christmas2009aquisitioni.jpg]

[Image: christmas2009aquisitionv.jpg]

thats it for now, hopefully i'll get some scenery work done soon.
Green_Elite_Cab Wrote:Because i have decided to stick more to the late 1970s and early 1980s, I also picked up this E60CH back in october, as well as several freight car kits, and additional Amtrak viewliner cars for my modern amtrak train at the club.
It's nice you're sticking to a time frame Icon_lol
Tom

Model Conrail

PM me to get a hold of me.