Does your layout reflect your personality?
Crandell,I am sure my critics on the MR forums would not agree with your "Larry, I would say, from my numerous encounters with him here and on a couple other forums, would rank high on agreeableness"..

No,I fear many of my "fans" would rather tar and feather me.. Icon_lol
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!
I too can relate to Larry and Robert-I too am my best friend,my own worst enemy and my biggest critic. I will say this-when I tell my wife that I am going to work on my layout she replies by saying "Have Fun" and leaves me alone.
Although I probably missed the comment about retirement,I am planning on retiring in June.I'll be 62 and can't wait.One thing I do know is this-the amount that I will get far out weighs what I am getting from unemployment so I should have an easier time getting what I need for the layout. Bob
nachoman Wrote:My choice of gauge (3') and prototype (not colorado)

This makes you a good man! While I do enjoy the D&RGW, I feel that it is so overly modeled that many presume narrow gauge = D&RGW 1938-1955. I love seeing anything from earlier times and other places. I like how your layout doesn't have D&RGW equipment. My least favorite layouts by far have some sort of story of how the D&RGW or RGS has trackage rights and so the entire roster is D&RGW/RGS, yet claim to be "freelance". I really look forward to seeing your scratch built locomotive enter service!

My layout does tell a bit about me. My curved trestle is built in the prototypical manner (the stringers are 30' and not curved, the bents are not continuous pieces)...this show my desire to faithfully replicate the standard practices of the real thing. I don't just want to create illusions, but rather explore the techniques used in real railroading. This is consistent with my equipment...link & pin couplers and lots of NBWs. My track is a true 36" gauge, just as my rolling stock is within a scale 1/2" on nearly all dimensions, which shows a desire for precision. The windows in my passenger cars and caboose show patience to get it right...and the two junked frames from my 2-8-0, the junked passenger car roof, and the junked 27' boxcar show that I'm not afraid to pitch something I've spent many hours on to get it right.

My layout also shows my short attention span. I've grown tired of trestle construction, and so it is over half way done, but not yet installed. I have a 1/12th scale model of the scenery, but haven't yet installed any of it.

My lack of a substantial budget is visible in my low grade benchwork and use of old C100 rail instead of 83 or 70. It also shows from my lack of commercial products...very little brass, no RTR cars, no structure kits, no San Juan or resin kit cars.

I am in the minority of ng modelers without any D&RGW steam locomotives or 3000 series stock cars. This either shows that I want to be different, or that I just prefer other things. I believe it to be the latter.
Michael
My primary goal is a large Oahu Railway layout in On3
My secondary interests are modeling the Denver, South Park, & Pacific in On3 and NKP in HO
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://thesouthparkline.blogspot.com/">http://thesouthparkline.blogspot.com/</a><!-- m -->
This is an interesting thread.

I too am an introvert. Actually, I am a misanthropist. This is as close to social as I get. I have no freinds, per se, and have no need for them. I am happiest when I am left alone. My wife knows this, she doesn't really respect it, but she knows it. I am a man of few words as well. I don't talk much, to anyone. The most I communicate is here, on this forum.

I am a control freak. My layout has to be the way I want it, and I will not accept anyone telling me that it should be different. I don't mind advice, and will even seek it out, but in the end I know that it is just advice and is a "take it or leave it" proposition. This could also be chalked up to non-conformity. The rebel in me never went away.

I am my own worst critic as well. I am not terribly interested in flawless execution of any project I am working on, but it HAS TO match the image I have in my head, or I will throw it out and start over.

The lack of progress on my layout shows that I am terribly lazy, and lack focus. I have at least 4 different projects that are partially completed. I am too busy looking at what others have done to do it myself.

Matt
Don't follow me, I'm lost too.
Matt-In just about every way that sounds exactly like me. Sounds like we could almost be related.Bob
I don't have a layout - what does that mean ??? 357 Bob C.
James Thurber - "It is better to know some of the questions than all of the answers."
Quote:I too am an introvert. Actually, I am a misanthropist. This is as close to social as I get. I have no freinds, per se, and have no need for them. I am happiest when I am left alone. My wife knows this, she doesn't really respect it, but she knows it. I am a man of few words as well. I don't talk much, to anyone. The most I communicate is here, on this forum.

Quote:I am my own worst critic as well. I am not terribly interested in flawless execution of any project I am working on, but it HAS TO match the image I have in my head, or I will throw it out and start over.

This is freaky Eek I thought I was looking in a mirror when I read this. You described me right to the "T". And my wife too. Eek

Loren
I got my first train when I was three,
put a hundred thousand miles on my knees.
Not yet, but it is getting there. Icon_lol

I started the scenery now, so the layout will start to take on a life of it's own, guided by my hand and warped mind. Goldth

Little things like Uncle Henry sitting on the billboard or when the engine house gets rebuilt, Waldo on the rooftop water tower, afraid of heights. Popcornbeer
Will Annand
CVR in N Scale
<!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.muskokacomputes.com/CVR-Home.html">www.muskokacomputes.com/CVR-Home.html</a><!-- w -->
I take my modeling too seriously...some would call me a rivet counter... :mrgreen:

[Image: partridgea.jpg]

[Image: railcara.jpg]

[Image: thomasb.jpg]
...prophesy not unto us right things, speak unto us smooth things, prophesy deceits...

My blog>>> <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.misterbobsmodelworksemporium.blogspot.com">http://www.misterbobsmodelworksemporium.blogspot.com</a><!-- m -->
Hey Shay, Your bus is wrong. That one has eight windows. The original Partridge Family bus only had seven.
And wasn't that model of railcar powered by Pratt and Whitney JT8's?
Torrington, Ct.
NARA Member #87
I went to my Happy Place, but it was closed for renovations.
Something tells me that truck might have trouble staying within the speed limit. Goldth

Loren
I got my first train when I was three,
put a hundred thousand miles on my knees.
eightyeightfan1 Wrote:Hey Shay, Your bus is wrong. That one has eight windows. The original Partridge Family bus only had seven.
And wasn't that model of railcar powered by Pratt and Whitney JT8's?

24 Using my best snobbish tone...

"The bus in fact, does have the proper number of rectangular windows. It only lacks the ninth teardrop window to the rear. It does however, fall short in that the length of the first window should be a scale 6" wider.

The motor car is powered by a Pratt and Whitney Rocketdyne F-1, one of 5 used on the first stage of the Saturn V rocket of Apollo fame."

...nobody takes the depth of my research work seriously any more...sigh... Goldth Goldth Goldth Goldth Goldth Goldth Goldth
...prophesy not unto us right things, speak unto us smooth things, prophesy deceits...

My blog>>> <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.misterbobsmodelworksemporium.blogspot.com">http://www.misterbobsmodelworksemporium.blogspot.com</a><!-- m -->
I don't have a layout anymore. But my car reflects my personality 8-)

[Image: th_MOV07229.jpg]
Tom

Model Conrail

PM me to get a hold of me.