Decal help
Catt Wrote:
Quote: if my sense of things is correct, you're unhappy with CSX because of the licensing fee

No sir, I am not.It is their logo and they have the right to protect it and licence the use of it.The point is I can not get these decals done by a commercial decal company unless that company is licenced by CSX to use their logo.For them to do so would put them in trademark violation.

......(SNIP).....

.... By the way if you ever meet the idiot that said we don't paint and decal our own models anymore smack him once for me me will you? Thanks.

....(SNIP)...

You and I, and others here, may still paint and decal our own models, but I suspect the majority of modellers don't: that's one of the reasons that many manufacturers of locos and rolling stock no longer offer kits or undecorated versions of their models. And that, coupled with the licensing fees, may be why you can no longer find the decals which you require: there's simply not a large-enough market to make it profitable.

You are correct about the licensing fee restricting a manufacturer from making decals for you, but the licensing agreement doesn't prevent you from lettering cars for yourself, provided you're not selling them to others. That's why I included the links on the font styles - obviously, if you're determined to have these cars, perhaps your energies would be better spent on finding the necessary materials to accomplish this end, rather than on lamenting the unavailability or expense of an easy solution. Smile

As for sets that letter only one car, until I bought my first Microscale decals, I thought that was the norm. Eek Personally, I found it dismaying that I had to shell out $8.00 in order to letter one Southern Pacific boxcar, since the set included lettering for five or six cars. In order to get my money's-worth from the decal set, I ended up spending an additional $70.00 on more boxcars. 35 Now those are expensive decals! 357

Of the sets that Squidbait posted, the blue sheet should do two cars with pretty-well everything except the CSXT reporting marks, which should be readily available, in a suitable size, in Letraset dry transfers. If you require additional dimensional data (it's difficult to tell if there's enough of that for more than one car), Champ offers that style on a sheet that costs under $3.00, and there's sufficient to do several cars. Depending on how accurate you wish to be, you may have to piece together some of it, though, but we both know that that's often part of the job.

And,
Catt Wrote:Now that you have brought it up how many $5.00 decal sets would you buy to cut apart and make fit some other car when the set only did one car?
As many as was needed, if I really wanted that car to be correct. Goldth The car shown below, one of two, required one dry transfer set for the logos to do one car, another for the large letters and numbers, another for the lines above and below them - these latter two sets provided enough for both cars - plus a set of Champ dimensional data decals, also enough to do both cars. That works out to about $15.00 for the lettering for two cars, or $7.50 per car. All of the dry transfers had to be applied as individual pieces (and you don't get a second chance with dry transfers if you place them crooked - live with it or re-do them). The dimensional data is almost all pieced-together in order to get the exact weights to match photographs, including the test data on the brake system air reservoir.
[album]1009[/album]

Catt Wrote:As far as repainting them for some other railroad I don't want some other railroad,if I did I would not have wasted my time painting the cars CSX tan.

I fully realise that, but I was trying to tactfully suggest that your mistake, which potentially made it a waste of time, was in not securing the proper decals before doing the painting.

Catt Wrote:Subject closed.

With all due respect, Catt, the subject is not closed: you posted here:

Catt Wrote:I'm having a little decal problem and could use some help......

That's what we're attempting to do. Goldth

Wayne
Actually the decals or at least usable decals were available when I started this project,but that seems to have been a lifetime ago now.In fact the reason I bought some of the cars for this project was the fact that it was doable.

I have no intention of giving up and repainting the cars for some other railroad .Thanks for the links for the fonts they will come in handy.
Johnathan (Catt) Edwards
"The Ol Furrball"

"I'm old school,I still believe in respect"