Building a Module; CAT Equipment Rental Building
Hi guys, here is another module that i built a couple months ago before i started my shelf layout (which is gone now lol)

I got inspired by this building from a real building that i pass by nearly everyday. It is a CAT Equipment Rental Store that rents out there equipment for construction. They newly re-modeled and made a new building on there site, so i made a model of there new building. The old building is still standing and would be behind this building if it was included on this modules.... The real building that i modeled has 4 service bays and is double sided, meaning you could drive a piece of machinery in and repair/do maintenance on it and then drive it out the other side, mine only has 3, just didn't have enough room lol

Here is the CAT Rental Building from Start to Finish:

[Image: SL370074.jpg]

I set up some walls to get the rough dimensions for the building, allowing enough room for a small parking lot in front, a 2 lane road w/center divider and a sidewalk.

[Image: SL370075.jpg]

[Image: SL370077.jpg]

[Image: SL370079.jpg]

[Image: SL370080.jpg]

Service Bay wall and Front Entrance Wall glued together

[Image: SL370082.jpg]

Rear Walls glued together

[Image: SL370087.jpg]

[Image: SL370092.jpg]

[Image: SL370086.jpg]

Building glued together. I used lots of white strips to help keep it strong and give it more support. I also used blocks of wood for the corners to keep them at 90 degrees as well as wood blocks for the roof line.

[Image: SL370083.jpg]

[Image: SL370085.jpg]

Roof cut out

[Image: SL370093.jpg]

[Image: SL370094.jpg]

Roof installed, Service Bay Doors installed, and front glass installed

[Image: SL370098.jpg]

Building painted and in its new home

[Image: SL370099.jpg]

Cadged Ladder added
Josh Mader

Maders Trains
Offering everyday low prices for the Model Railroad World
This module is 2'x6' so i had about half the module left for another building and some scenery. I decided to add in the Great West Pre-Stress Building

[Image: SL370100.jpg]

[Image: SL370101.jpg]

[Image: SL370102.jpg]

I haven't decided what color I'm going to paint it yet so that is why none of the doors or windows have been installed yet. I also have to make the 60 wall panels for the yard too. I wanted to build this so I could place it on the layout to make sure I left enough room for it and the yard.
Josh Mader

Maders Trains
Here is the proposed yard for the CAT Rental Building

[Image: SL370105.jpg]

as you can see imma need ALOT MORE equipment then what I have now for this yard Eek Big Grin Big Grin
Josh Mader

Maders Trains
[Image: SL370106.jpg]

[Image: SL370107.jpg]

The road and sidewalks/driveways for the CAT Rental Building. The sidewalk will have a Concrete wall next to it enclosing the yard. I plan to add steel gates for the yard entrance also.
Josh Mader

Maders Trains
Here is the River that will run next to Great West Pre-Stress. I carved it out of the foam and laid plaster cloth down. There will be a bridge that crosses this river for cars and trucks

[Image: SL370108.jpg]

[Image: SL370109.jpg]

[Image: SL370110.jpg]

[Image: SL370114.jpg]

[Image: SL370115.jpg]

[Image: SL370116.jpg]

[Image: SL370117.jpg]

[Image: SL370120.jpg]

[Image: SL370121.jpg]

Nothing is glued down yet. I was too lazy to mix up some rubbing alcohol and water and another mix of white glue and water. I started making the roads after I did this little part hehehehe. I cant really go any further then gluing this part down because my bridge has a pier that needs to be in place before I can go any further with it. But after the bridge is installed and the river bottom is finished and its all glued down i will cast some water in the river and also add some vegetation to the area too
Josh Mader

Maders Trains
I started on the roads for the Module. I laid a 5" wide strip of road in front of the Rental Building (2 lane road and a center divider). I also added the sidewalk in so I could lay the sidewalk on top of the road to create a curb. I made the 2 driveways by cutting the ends of the sidewalk at a slant.

I found that with the Woodland Scenics Smooth-It its best to do a rough first coat and then mix up some more and do a finishing coat. The second coat smooths out any bumps cracks and air bubbles that were left from the first coat. When laying a strip of road this wide you have to section it off into 2 strips with the paving tape so that is why the gap is in the middle of the roads. It is easy filled in with the second coat of Smooth-It tho and you cant even tell it was there after painting. Here's some pics:

[Image: SL370111.jpg]

[Image: SL370113.jpg]

Retaining wall that will separate the yard from the parking lot

[Image: SL370208.jpg]

[Image: SL370209.jpg]

[Image: SL370214.jpg]

[Image: SL370215.jpg]

As you can see I added the sidewalks right on top of the roads to make the curb.
Josh Mader

Maders Trains
I painted the road with Woodland Scenics Asphalt Paving. I really like it.

[Image: SL370221.jpg]

[Image: SL370223.jpg]
Josh Mader

Maders Trains
I painted the sidewalks with Floquil "Aged Concrete" and painted the yard by the Service Bays with Woodland Scenics Concrete.

[Image: SL370224.jpg]
Josh Mader

Maders Trains
Here is part of the Concrete Walls that enclose the yard. I sprayed them the light gray color of the building to match. I will add in some steel gates to close the entrance to the yard off at night but I still have to order those. I also planted some Walthers Utility Poles. I painted them and stuck em' in there final locations

[Image: SL370226.jpg]
Josh Mader

Maders Trains
I decided to tackle the tough job of painting red curbs. it was not easy but i did it and with some weathering i can dull the redness down a bit. Next time i will pain the red curbs first and then paint the sidewalks and then attach them to the module rather then doing it all backwards. it was a pain in the ass. I had already painted the streets and sidewalks before i decided i wanted red curbs so when i started i got red paint on both the sidewalks and streets so i had to go back and touch up both after the red paint had dried but I'm liking the looks of them

[Image: SL370235.jpg]

[Image: SL370236.jpg]

[Image: SL370237.jpg]

[Image: SL370238.jpg]

[Image: SL370257.jpg]
Josh Mader

Maders Trains
Here's the final size of the yard, as you can see i need a heck of a lot more equipment to fill the yard up realistically. The gravel tracks will not be in the yard, just placed them in there as fillers so there wasn't as much white space lol. I also added in the back Retaining Wall for the yard.

[Image: SL370258.jpg]
Josh Mader

Maders Trains
I cemented some grass and bushes between the sidewalk and parking lot for the building. Don't mind the GIANT train boxes in the background lol. Also the shine on the sidewalks will be taken off with some weathering. It kinda looks like it was just raining from the shine on the sidewalks lol.

[Image: SL370261.jpg]
Josh Mader

Maders Trains
here is the bridge that crosses the creek, it is very narrow but still works. I built the bridge but had to scratch build the abutments for the bridge out of .10 styrene.

[Image: SL370337.jpg]

[Image: SL370339.jpg]

[Image: SL370341.jpg]

[Image: SL370342.jpg]

[Image: SL370344.jpg]
Josh Mader

Maders Trains
Here is the creek with some vegetation added in and without the water yet

[Image: SL370345.jpg]

[Image: SL370346.jpg]

[Image: SL370347.jpg]

[Image: SL370348.jpg]

[Image: SL370349.jpg]

[Image: SL370350.jpg]

[Image: SL370352.jpg]
Josh Mader

Maders Trains
First time i've ever used the WS Realistic Water stuff and i liked it and how it easy it was. it took me 2 coats because the first coat seeped into the rocks but the 2nd coat stayed and really came out good i think

First Coat

[Image: SL370355.jpg]

[Image: SL370356.jpg]

[Image: SL370357.jpg]

[Image: SL370359.jpg]

[Image: SL370363.jpg]
Josh Mader

Maders Trains