USRA 0-6-0?
The KY & TN Ry used this 0-6-0 as a shortline coal hauler up until the early 60's

[Image: KT14A.JPG]

PS...In the 1960's, the loco was used to pull an amusement park train in near-by Whitley County...(I think the place was called Guntown Mountain...?)
The amusement park closed sometime in the 70's, & old #14 was left to rust away at the mercy of the weather & vandals...
A bout 20 years later, the remains of the loco were acquired by the Big South Fork Scenic Ry. which operates on the trackage of the old K&T...
Thanks to the efforts of a lot of donors & volunteers, #14 is now being restored, & will hopefully one day, see service again pulling excursion trains on the BSF
-Drew-
"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly."
The issues that generally limited a USRA 0-6-0 to yard switching were:

- lack of a big enough firebox to generate enough steam for steady steaming. Yard switching has a lot of "stopped" time to recover steam pressure.
- small drivers and lack of sophisticated balance prevented speeds above 25MPH. This would particularly impact use in passenger service.
- lack of enough water and fuel capacity to go very far (could be fixed with a bigger tender)

Fred Wright
I like what 88 said. As a modeler you say what is prototypical on your railroad. You may have a small strugleing railroad. A 0-6-0 switcher my be the power choice for this line.
If a passenger train broke down and the closest power was a fully fueled and ready 0-6-0 switcher, you can bet that that 0-6-0 would be quickly assigned to passenger service.
Also if this is a USRA 0-6-0 thread anyone can post a photo of the loco includeing those who are complaining.
frank
" It's a Heck of a Day " !!!!
Here is a USRA 0-6-0 that I have. Like Life P2000. Pennsylvania RR #7300

[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]
" It's a Heck of a Day " !!!!
I ran across an example of an 0-6-0 being mainline power. The Cincinnati, Lebanon, and Northern was built as a 3' gauge road back during the narrow gauge movement (1871-1882). Like so many of the roads built then, it was standard gauged in the 1890s. In the last years, a Pennsy B-6 was used as mainline power...after nearly all of the business had dried up. IIRC, part of it is now a tourist railroad.
Michael
My primary goal is a large Oahu Railway layout in On3
My secondary interests are modeling the Denver, South Park, & Pacific in On3 and NKP in HO
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://thesouthparkline.blogspot.com/">http://thesouthparkline.blogspot.com/</a><!-- m -->