Doctorwayne! Boxcar modifications
Hey Wayne,

For the benfit of the masses, could you please describe the various modifications (and how you accomplished them) you made on this Athearn car? Looks like you shaved down or removed the door tracks and replaced them. Looks like a new door. New running board? Steps and grab irons?

[Image: image.php?image_id=1023]

Thanks Wayne!
Three Foot Rule In Effect At All Times
That car is a pretty basic modification to an Athearn blue box car. I cut off the cast-on stirrup steps, then drilled out the bottom edge of the car sides, using a #76 bit in my pin vise, to accept formed metal steps from A-Line. The cast-on grabirons on the sides (near the PM reporting marks) were shaved off using a #17 chisel blade in my X-Acto, taking care to leave the cast bolt heads intact. I then drilled holes for the wire grabs using a #79 drill bit. The car was done some time ago, and it looks as if the grabirons are the older type formed from .012" music wire. I generally use drop or straight grabs, as appropriate, from either Tichy or Westerfield, or form my own from .012" brass or stainless steel wire. After the "legs" are inserted into the holes, I place a spacer of .030" strip styrene between the car body and the handholds, bend-over the wire projecting into the body shell, then apply ca from the inside to secure them in place. This car was originally a decorated car that was stripped, then repainted after all the modifications were done, but you can do most of these changes to a decorated car, then paint the new details with a brush. Don't worry about getting an exact colour match, as weathering will hide any glaring discrepancies. Also, metal details like this often need touching-up periodically, and I don't always bother to disguise the fact - after all, the real cars often suffered minor damage that was repaired or replaced, then painted with a suitable colour. Shops don't have time to blend in these repairs with "weathering". Wink Misngth
On these Athearn cars, oversize door tracks were used to permit an operating door - this meant that the door itself was too short, losing height from both its top and bottom in order to accommodate the tracks. The doors also grew "claws" to grip the door tracks. Eek
To remedy this situation, the lower door tracks were shaved off with the #17 blade, then a new track of .030"x.030" styrene strip was cemented in place just below the strip of rivets which extends along the lower edge of the carsides. The upper tracks were removed from their locating grooves, then a suitably-sized piece of styrene strip was used to fill each groove, with an upper door track of .020"x.030" strip cemented to that.
This car has been re-fitted with doors from Front Range or McKean cars, as they are the correct height for this car. You can also use the original Athearn doors by segmenting them and inserting sections from spare Athearn doors, which should be readily available.
The roofwalk is the original Athearn casting, representing an open-grid metal type (of course, it's not really "open" - several manufacturers offer true open grid walkways in stamped or etched metal). I again used the chisel blade to remove the cast-on corner grabirons on the lateral walkways, and, to improve the appearance of the kit part (and cut down on costs) I sliced off the mounting pegs from the underside, then used an autobody file to remove material from the underside - the original walkway was about .044" thick (roughly 4" in HO scale) while the modified part is about .017", or roughly 1 1/2" in HO. I used brass wire and a home-made jig to form new corner grabs, then ca'ed them in place, then cemented the roofwalk to the car.
The car was then washed in warm water, using dish detergent, rinsed clean, then air dried. After airbrushing it with Floquil, I lettered the car with C-D-S dry transfers, then gave it an overspray of Dullcote. The car was then weathered, using an airbrush and also a regular brush.
As I'm currently back-dating my layout's era to the mid- to late-'30s, I decided to give this previously-done car a quick makeover, which consisted of obliterating the original late-'40s BLT date with some additional weathering, then brush-painting the car ends black - many railroads in the 1920s and '30s used a product known as waterproof car cement to protect the ends (and sometimes roofs, too) with this tar-based emulsion.
In the photo above, the car is heading back into the shops to get re-weighed and have its journal boxes re-packed, which will result in some of the data on the car's side being re-painted. This serves both to place the car in an earlier period (August, 1938 for this one) and to add some "history" to its existence.

I'm currently working on some four dozen freight cars, backdating some in a similar manner, and rebuilding some to better follow a particular prototype. Many are complete rebuilds of cars that were already in service on the layout, while others are newly acquired cars that require some form of upgrading. All are receiving some basic brake rigging (the Pere Marquette car is yet to be done) and many are getting new ends, along with upgrades similar to those described above. Many have been repainted and are currently being lettered and weathered, with only another 50 or so to be done after this. 35 I'll be posting pictures as the current batch are placed into service.

This Walthers 50' car is one of nine that were recently re-done with black ends and roofs - all of the other modifications were done previously, so all that was required was new reporting marks on the car ends along with a little weathering.
[album]1026[/album]

Ditto for the three Train Miniature cars like this one (these got new ends, re-worked side framing, and rebuilt underbodies in a previous rebuilding)
[album]1027[/album]

And another two similar cars, newly acquired, were rebuilt to match the previous three:
[album]1028[/album]

These still require weathering, and some re-weigh/re-pack data.

Here are some in-progress shots of the TM cars:
[album]1029[/album]

[album]1030[/album]

[album]1031[/album]

Wayne
Thanks for the info, Wayne. Your cars look great, and I admire your skills and dedication. You inspire me!

When I got into the hobby about 5 years ago, I bought about 50 Athearn blue box kits and Roundhouse kits, mostly because they were cheap. Then I bought some Accurail kits and discovered that they looked much better, and they were only a tad more expensive. Only thing is, they make the other cars look less-than-real to me.

So now that my layout is in limbo, I have been modifying the Athearn and Roundhouse boxcars. I am roughly modeling the 1970s, so my cars need to be "modernized."

To me, the first thing that has to be changed is the doors. I cut/scrape the door tracks off the top and bottom, and add new doors of a "more proper" height. Accurail and Kadee make doors which can be purchased separately. New door tracks are added using plastic strip as you do.

I have been changing the bottom sills on many of the cars, basing the changes on various prototype photos. I'm definitely not trying to model the cars from prototypes, I am just looking for a little variation and modernization. I cut off the various trapezoids and rectangles at the bottom of the car, then go back with some plastic strip.

On many of the cars, I remove the roofwalks and shave off the top half of the ladders, as they actually did on the prototype. This involves plugging the holes on the roof and filling in with green putty.

I have been cutting off the stirrups and replacing them on some of the cars. I have not been shaving off the molded on grabs though.... but one of the great things about the hobby is that I can always go back at a later date and do that mod if I want to.

As you mentioned, it is not necessary to exactly match the paint when covering the areas that were scraped/added. A black wash and some weathering does wonders to blend the areas, plus, a prototype car has many different shades of the original color anyway because of bleaching/fading.

I am adding ACI, lube plate, and wheel inspection dot decals, again roughly based on prototype photos from the 1970s. Tons of these photos can be found on the 'net in the various RR archive sites.

Hopefully I can take some photos this weekend and post them. Thanks again for sharing. And I would enjoy seeing more of your boxcars that have been modified.
Gary, there are some pictures HERE, HERE, HERE (including the last page) and tons more HERE.

and some info on rolling stock improvements HERE, HERE, and HERE.

Wayne
Again, great stuff Wayne. Modifying older kits is my favorite aspect of the hobby. Thanks for the ideas. I'll be hard at work this weekend!
Nice work Doc.
I've always wanted to super detail rolling stock, but don't have the skill, or patience for it.
Torrington, Ct.
NARA Member #87
I went to my Happy Place, but it was closed for renovations.
Where was that PM car when I bought? That is a work of beauty. Not that I am at all dissatisfied with the cars I did buy.

Matt
Don't follow me, I'm lost too.
Thanks, Matt. Goldth The PM car was one of my early Athearn rebuilds, but it wasn't in the lot which I sold. I'll be posting a new shot of it soon, along with another PM car, this one a Train Miniature boxcar which has been re-worked somewhat.

Wayne
Wayne,

I've enjoyed looking over the links you provided above, but have yet to come across any work on reefers. Seems to me I've seen somewhere on this guage or the other'n a thread on upgrading older reefers (Athearn, MDC, Tyco, etc.). I have an Athearn wood-side, metal-roof/ends 'Pluto Water' reefer that I'd like to upgrade as I assemble it but want to gather a bit more info before I dive in. Any hints, tips, etc. specific to roof hatches?

Thanks,

Galen
I may not be a rivet counter, but I sure do like rivets!
I generally simplify the Athearn hatches, as the "working" feature results in the hinge mounts for the hatch and support being over-size. My method is to slice off the hinge mounts, then "plate-over" the holes with some styrene. I then fashion crude (but unobtrusive) hinges from styrene, with the hatch support bar represented by a piece of suitably-bent brass wire.

I don't have much in the way of reefer pictures here (my home-road ones have all been sold), but there are some HERE. Some of the same cars may also be seen HERE, and a slightly modified reefer can be found HERE.

Wayne