A couple of crummy (but thankfully short) videos...
Misngth I was discussing superelevation of curves over on the Model Railroader site, and, after suggesting a method of achieving it, was asked to show a video demonstration of its affect on a train. I at first declined, as I'm not a big fan of videos, and unfamiliar with making them. However, the idea of how to best show the principle in action intrigued me, and, after several attempts, I came up with the following two offerings. The image quality is poor, and it's up to the viewer to decide if the effect is even noticeable:
[Image: th_Superelevationvideo001.jpg]

[Image: th_Superelevationvideo005.jpg]

If you're interested in the discussion, you can check it out HERE.

Wayne
I see nothing wrong with the videos. I did view the videos three times before I saw the super elevation, but that was because I was distracted by the scenery ( beautiful as usual, by the way ).

Loren
I got my first train when I was three,
put a hundred thousand miles on my knees.
Good video - I can see the difference. I super-elevated the curves on my layout...more to insure the trains stay on the narrow shelf layout and not rocket off onto the floor or hit one of the three walls that border the tracks. I placed styrene (I forget the exact size...but it was the thinnest sheet I could get) under the outside rail. The trains have a slight but perceptible lean into the curves.
Mark

Citation Latitude Captain
--and--
Lt Colonel, USAF (Retired)
Cheers Nothing wrong with those videos, Wayne.... except maybe clipping the whistle post at the end of the second one. Wink
That gives a cool new perspective to your layout! Very nice.
--
Kevin
Check out my Shapeways creations!
3-d printed items in HO/HOn3 and more!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s-model-train-detail-parts">https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s ... tail-parts</a><!-- m -->
Hi Doc---I like it---a new toy to play with the next time we get together
They were cool! I liked the camera on the flat car the best.
And no....Didn't see any discernable difference in the super elevation of the corners.
Torrington, Ct.
NARA Member #87
I went to my Happy Place, but it was closed for renovations.
Wayne, Yes, I definitely see the effect of the superelevation ... though you've done such a fine job on the transition, it is difficult to spot, even in the "S" curves. That's as it should be, and better camera resolution might show it better, but you are making models, not movies, right? Thanks for showing your results, (guess those vids couldn't have gone on much longer !). Bob C.
James Thurber - "It is better to know some of the questions than all of the answers."
Thanks to all for the generous "movie review". Wink

Squidbait Wrote:Cheers Nothing wrong with those videos, Wayne.... except maybe clipping the whistle post at the end of the second one. Wink

It's actually a warning sign for snowplows to lift their flanger blades in consideration of the bridge guard rails, but you're right: the camera did clip it. :oops: I had removed the ones at the near end of the bridge but forgot that one. Of course, that video was the first time the train made it that far without having the camera attempt to find either the bottom of the valley, or worse, the floor. 35 Misngth

Bob C Wrote:Wayne, Yes, I definitely see the effect of the superelevation ... though you've done such a fine job on the transition, it is difficult to spot, even in the "S" curves. That's as it should be, and better camera resolution might show it better, but you are making models, not movies, right? Thanks for showing your results, (guess those vids couldn't have gone on much longer !). Bob C.

Yeah, it's obvious that my movie making skills are pretty limited. Misngth You're right on the video length, though - another few inches and the train would've been back in Elfrida, about 150' HO below (and via an extremely steep grade, too). Goldth
[album]347[/album]

[album]803[/album]

Wayne
Lovely last shot,Wayne...think I feel my acrophobia kickin' in.....Ulp.
James Thurber - "It is better to know some of the questions than all of the answers."
Hi Wayne,
The elevation is moe apperent in the seccond video if you watch the top of the loco cab to the ceiling it is more noticible.
Great videos and lighting there dont see anything wrong with them. Thumbsup
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.freewebs.com/upnick/">http://www.freewebs.com/upnick/</a><!-- m -->
[Image: up_xm40o.gif][Image: up_lo-1.gif][Image: up_turb10k_r.gif]
Nothing wrong with that.
Lynn

New Adventure <!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://bigbluetrains.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=9245">viewtopic.php?f=46&t=9245</a><!-- l -->

Great White North
Ontario,Canada
Great videos, Wayne. I can think of a dozen things you DIDN'T do that make them better than most! (like heavy, asthmatic, chain-smoking breathing in the background or worse, right on top of the mic; standing around shooting the breeze while the train is running; putting some sort of banjo music in the background singing about 'ole # whatever' in a heavy drawl; etc.)

But mostly I just have to say, that's one purty S curve! It appears as if there is some sort of leaning into the curves but it doesn't seem to be too much to my taste. It's noticable but only because you pointed it out. I imagine when the untrained eye sees it, it will just look 'right'.

Galen
I may not be a rivet counter, but I sure do like rivets!
Thanks, Galen. I superelevated most of my mainline curves, and it is noticeable, although fairly subtly, in person. Most of my line has a maximum speed of under 30 scale mph, so I didn't want to make it too extreme. Goldth

Wayne
Wayne, I was just watching a video of the 1987 NRHS Convention in Roanoke, VA. One of the highlights was a recreation in real time of a painting showing an N&W Class J 4-8-4 with passenger train overtaking a Class A 2-6-6-4 with a coal drag on parallel main lines up Blue Ridge Grade. I can't imagine that either train was doing more than 20, but the curves there seemed to be VERY highly superelevated. Could just be the camera angles, but even still it must have been quite a tilt.

Also got me thinking about riding the upper bunk of a high-level sleeper on the Southwest Chief a few years back. I'd swear on some curves I was leaning out well over the ends of the ties!!

Anyway, superb modeling as ever. When you gonna get started on that upper level? 790_smiley_picking_a_fight

Galen
I may not be a rivet counter, but I sure do like rivets!