Train accident in D.C. -- Not good!!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2009/06/washington_dc_subway_trains_co.html">http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/200 ... ns_co.html</a><!-- m -->
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    
~~ Baldwin Eddystone Unofficial Website

~~ I wonder what that would look like in 1:20.3???
I saw that on the MSN news page. That's awful.
I just came from there... (i'm a firefighter in D.C.) I can assure you the pics on TV do it no justice. The one car almost completely telescoped, it was one of the old style cars. I think the new cars are designed not to do that. I am sorry to say there were several that did not survive, including at least one train operator. How horrible for everyone involved.

Dave
-Dave
Puddlejumper Wrote:I just came from there... (i'm a firefighter in D.C.) I can assure you the pics on TV do it no justice. The one car almost completely telescoped, it was one of the old style cars. I think the new cars are designed not to do that. I am sorry to say there were several that did not survive, including at least one train operator. How horrible for everyone involved.

Dave
This is why I post these things, even though it's bad news. We ned to know that somethng is not always right on our rail lines... Old car? Maybe because the rail line doesn't have the money to buy newer cars? How many lives could have been saved? and this is the first I'm hearing up here in PA - that one of the 9 dead was a railroad employee......

My condolences to all the families of all the deceased.....
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    
~~ Baldwin Eddystone Unofficial Website

~~ I wonder what that would look like in 1:20.3???
Metro has been receiving new cars. I'm sure, if the age or type of car involved is found to have contributed, that all the cars of that series will likely be pulled from service. There is too much speculation at this time to say why, but the amount of telescoping (to me) was unacceptable.
-Dave
Very sad indeed. I see two problems: 1) the trains should have never crashed - signaling problem or braking problem with the rear train? 2) if the second train did not climb over the end of the first, injuries probably would have been less. I guess that is what "anticlimbers" are supposed to do.

I rode this system a few years ago, and found it extremely useful and convenient. It actually opened my eyes a little that maybe the light rail system they recently built here in phoenix may be equally useful. I hope this event does not deter people away from such transportation options. In reality, you are much safer than in your car - but it doesn't seem like it because psychologically "you" are in control of your own vehicle and control your own fate.

My hats off to the rescuers and all those who helped those who are injured, and to those who will help the families that lost a loved one.
--
Kevin
Check out my Shapeways creations!
3-d printed items in HO/HOn3 and more!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s-model-train-detail-parts">https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s ... tail-parts</a><!-- m -->
nachoman Wrote:Very sad indeed. I see two problems: 1) the trains should have never crashed - signaling problem or braking problem with the rear train? 2) if the second train did not climb over the end of the first, injuries probably would have been less. I guess that is what "anticlimbers" are supposed to do.

That is indeed what the anticlimber is for, to prevent climbing and telescoping. Telescoping is when one car goes into the other. If you look at the pics you can see the outer shell of the striking train separated from the interior as it climbed up the stopped train. The interior was crushed or telescoped, this is where the fatalities were.

Quote:I rode this system a few years ago, and found it extremely useful and convenient. It actually opened my eyes a little that maybe the light rail system they recently built here in phoenix may be equally useful. I hope this event does not deter people away from such transportation options. In reality, you are much safer than in your car - but it doesn't seem like it because psychologically "you" are in control of your own vehicle and control your own fate.

Indeed, Washington Metro is touted as being the most successful light rail system in the country as far as convenience, speed, and revenues. Also true that it is much safer than your own personal vehicle. I have no problem riding Metro any time, hopefully the commuters will realize the same.

Quote:My hats off to the rescuers and all those who helped those who are injured, and to those who will help the families that lost a loved one.
Thumbsup
-Dave