ocalicreek's kitbash summer '09 challenge
Quote:Sure, the thinned ones aren't attached to the sprue's.

I think the words I'm looking for are "Har", "Dehar", "Har" and "Har". Oh yeah, and another "Har". Icon_lol 35

Sheesh. Anyway, I agree about wondering how they'll look mounted and paned. In fact, that's another reason I decided to thin them down. I was afraid after painting and pane-ing they'd look even thicker. We'll see. The loading bay will be lit from the inside and a minimal amount of detail in place around the open door to suggest activity. Still haven't decided if I'll be loading tank cars or insulated box cars (or both). The decision will determine what sort of connections I make between the upper bottling building and the lower loading building.

Galen
I may not be a rivet counter, but I sure do like rivets!
Three more images to update the progress.

[albumimg]1240[/albumimg]
[albumimg]1241[/albumimg]
[albumimg]1242[/albumimg]

The first is an overall shot of the eventual placement of the various componants. There will be a covered hallway connecting the two buildings from the lower left corner of the upper tall brick building down to the inner second window of the loading building. The artistic voice in my head wanted to create a line of sight directing the eye from the little add-on on the outer second window of the lower building, up the angled roof of the connecting hallway (not pictured...just imagine), up the side of the building where the windows are offset from the rest on the wall, and up to the top of the tower. The other strong roof lines from the upper tall building and lower loading building will be parallel and broken by shorter perpendicular roof lines. All that to say, there is a plan to this arrangement, not just a jumble of building parts.

The second picture shows the difference in the original wall color (left) and new wall color, "Georgia Clay" from Delta. I did not prime these buildings Wallbang and now there is some flaking if you scratch the wall. A good coat of matte sealer seems to help, and hopefully the additional color layers of mortar wash and highlight brick will help, as will another heavy coat of sealer.

The third picture is a close-up of the tower segment. This is a completely bashed element, as the original kit did not include this feature. This is made from 3/4" wide segments of wall bits remaining from shortening the tall brick building. It will eventually have a pointy roof and window insets.

I have been applying the mortar wash (quaker gray and sandstone mix, 50/50, diluted with water very thin) and assembling other various componants like roof vents, etc. The next major phase of the project will be laying out the diorama base and painting the concrete foundation parts. The lower loading building will have concrete foundation. The upper will have rough hewn stone. I hope to imply that perhaps the lower building was a later addition. We'll see how successful that is.

Galen
I like the progress there Galen. Looking forward to seeing this one complete, as it should be a pretty cool addition to a layout
-Steven-

The Zealot progress thread: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.zealot.com/forum/showthread.php?t=112267">http://www.zealot.com/forum/showthread.php?t=112267</a><!-- m -->
The current progress thread: <!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.the-gauge.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=923">viewtopic.php?f=17&t=923</a><!-- l -->
All the different buildings, the smoke stack, and the tower are going to make an interesting structure. Nice combination!

Loren
I got my first train when I was three,
put a hundred thousand miles on my knees.
Thanks, Loren & Steven.

Progress has been sporadic but still pushing forward. All brick walls have been 'mortared' (no, not shelled) and I've begun installing windows. The walls also received a dry-brushing of raw umber to add another layer of color.

After all that work prepping the loading bay roof, I think I may end up scratching that roof as well. The only roof section that I'll use from the kit is the flat roof for the boilerroom/truck-loading area on the upper building. Naturally, it'll be 'upgraded' with additional details.

Although the progress has slowed somewhat, it's getting more exciting. Once the remaining few major bits are constructed, the detailing phase can begin in earnest.

More work tonight...pictures to follow eventually.

Galen
Finally, more pics of the progress.

[albumimg]1374[/albumimg]
[albumimg]1375[/albumimg]

These first two are general shots of the structures with basic progress. The loading bay has received windows, the concrete base, and some painting (sections below the windows to be concrete).

The upper building addition (truck-loading and boiler room) has had mainly roof work done. I added a styrene strip around the upper edge and painted the roof surface before adding the vent. I also added a few water stains, but I think the effect is still too subtle so it'll get more work.

[albumimg]1376[/albumimg]
[albumimg]1377[/albumimg]

I'm more excited about these two images, well, the subject matter, that is. If I'm not crazy already for embarking on a shingling project as massive as this, then I will be by the time it's finished!

The slate shingles are simulated with a nice grade of heavy paper from a scrapbooking store. I go in, spend 2-3 minutes deciding which will work best, then I'm ready to go. My wife then takes an additional 10-15 minutes looking at the stickers on sale. I can't complain much because she does a great job on our family albums.

The paper begins a dark gray (Earth Gray, I think it's called) then is painted with full strength craft paint (Hippo Gray) using a sponge/foam brush. It takes alot of paint to cover a large area, but I aim for 80-90% coverage, so as to show the streaking and darker color beneath.

I slice this into strips running with the streak/grain, then using the chopper cut it into 1/4" or so lengths. When I slice it into strips I vary the width slightly. Applying them is easy working a few at a time, dabbing on Alene's Tacky glue (although Elmer's white or brown should work fine too, I would guess)

The window side shows the addition of some Bragdon's dark earth weathering powder, applied heavily with a wet brush, then I use the same brush uncleaned to splotch on some dabs of forest green to simulate moss. The roof will most likely also receive (prior to any other moss applications) a dark wash and maybe a highlight dry brush. We'll see.

I really like the look of how this turned out, otherwise I wouldn't commit to tackling it. What do you think? (about the roof...I already know I'm nuts 35 )

Galen
The shingles look great!
--
Kevin
Check out my Shapeways creations!
3-d printed items in HO/HOn3 and more!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s-model-train-detail-parts">https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s ... tail-parts</a><!-- m -->
I think the shingles look great. And the random size back dates it more.

Loren
I got my first train when I was three,
put a hundred thousand miles on my knees.
nomad Wrote:I think the shingles look great. And the random size back dates it more.

Loren

Thanks Loren & Kevin! I visited the CG site where Steve found the shingles he didn't use for Gallimore Coal (still can't get over that! Big Grin ) and found an image I liked showing random sized rough hewn slate. I really liked the look but unfortunately when I reduced and printed it, the resolution was lost in the process.

Galen
Okay...the pictures from the previous post will have to be the last ones I post unless I can get out there today. :cry: There has been some minor work on the project before my family arrived last week, but mostly weathering & beginning to bring together some of the sub-assemblies. I also used my mini-circular saw (only has teeth on half the 2" diameter blade!) to cut a 15" square of 1/4" hardboard for the diorama base. That was fun. Smile

It's probably a good stopping point, as I will be writing an article on my stonework technique and won't add any pictures until it has been published (if it gets published). The baseboard will be framed with 3/4" strip and covered with foam. The lower building doesn't need any additional foundation but the upper will, as well as the retaining wall separating the two levels and any additional retaining walls/etc.

I'm very glad for this contest to get things going and stimulate some modeling activity. Even when I haven't been working on the kitbash, it has gotten me out into the garage to work on something, anything, and that's good.

Galen
This is a bump to bring up this thread again, since I'll be working on it again. After having finished one of the three Hart Gons for the Spring 2010 contest, I decided to box the other two and get back to this structure/diorama. As mentioned above, the plan here is to use this as a base for my stonework technique and an article to go with it. But even if that article isn't picked up and published, it's time to turn my attention back to a structure project again.

Gardening keeps getting rain-delayed which is good for modeling time, I guess. We've had overcast days without much rain, but I've been at work. And, after the gondola was finished I actually managed to spend an hour or two reassembling my wife's sewing table. It's a nice design but it was one of those easy assemble pressboard & veneer jobs. When we tried to load it in the recent move, it fell apart...sortof like the Blues Brothers car near the end of that film.

That's part of a grander scheme to get our spare bedroom ready for family coming in May...all predicated on getting the bonus room prepped as my modeling closet and layout area. Once it was cleaned I could reassemble the sewing table, then use the bonus room as staging for clearing clutter out of the spare room. As Hannibal Smith would say, I love it when a plan comes together! Wink

All that to say, keep an eye on things here for updates on the waterworks diorama. I hope to get everything in place tonight. Clearing away the gondola project means gettting the tools in order for the closet/workbench and migrating the structure stuff upstairs next.

Galen