Transformers
Transformers - not the kids kind, either. This actually started with BNSF,`so maybe this is the worng berth, but we'll see.

Three days`ago BNSF dropped off two humongous electrical transformers at ther work siding in Palmer Lake. Shortly thereafter, a fleet of semi's arrived carrying huge metal beams, loads of metal bracing members and 4-wheel road wheel sets, two forklifts, two mobile cranes...and a partidge in a pear tree. My wife and I decided to stop and see what it was all about, and got front row seats to what should have been an episode of Mega Movoers.

Moving like a highly trained drill team, the workers raised up the transformers, emplaced metal support stands, attached the big girders to the sides of the first transformer, then used the lughter bracing members to construct and and swing into place internal frameworks at each end between the main girders. Then wheel sets were attached, two sets at each end. Finally, the transformer was lifted, the braces removed and the transformer lowered onto it's 16 roadwheels. Then two semi tractors hooked on, on at the front pulling, on at the rear pushing, and the entire Rubegolderg assemblage motored slowly off down the country two-laner to the power substation a few miles away where the entire process was repeated in reverse to emplace the teranformer.

Then, of course, back to the siding to do it all over again with the second one. Altogether, it took an entire day to prepare one transformer to move, a second day to emplace it, a third day to ready the second one and the last day to emplace it. Then a half-day to reload and repack the fleet of trucks and finally the dust settled.

What an incredible performance.
Your one lucky guy MM, i would have loved to sit there and watch that amazing sight to see. My camera would have been smoking from so many pictures being taken lol. That sounds like some operation, very complex and time consuming, and slow and steady work

Did you by chance get any pics?
Josh Mader

Maders Trains
Offering everyday low prices for the Model Railroad World
Josh, give him a break! He'll post pics when he's done modeling the whole scene! 2285_ 2285_ 2285_
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
My reply disappeared!

Yes, I got some pics, but they have vanished into the black hole of the Sprint photo upload site. Not a good thing. Unless they are sent back to us, which is a strange way to do things, they get lost forever. So far, I have lost two sets of photos to Sprint's "technology". Had some revenge, though: walking around in the big local mall and passed by the Sprint Kiosk, where an energetic young guy leaped out and offered to set me up with a "great deal". I told him I would buy the most expensive cellphone he had...just as soon as he found and returned my missing pictures. 8-)

I doubt I could do that scene justice, Sumpter!
Sumpter250 Wrote:Josh, give him a break! He'll post pics when he's done modeling the whole scene! 2285_ 2285_ 2285_

aahahahaha dang that would be a SWEET scene to model, hmmmmmm ponders the idea 2285_
Josh Mader

Maders Trains
MountainMan Wrote:My reply disappeared!

Yes, I got some pics, but they have vanished into the black hole of the Sprint photo upload site. Not a good thing. Unless they are sent back to us, which is a strange way to do things, they get lost forever. So far, I have lost two sets of photos to Sprint's "technology". Had some revenge, though: walking around in the big local mall and passed by the Sprint Kiosk, where an energetic young guy leaped out and offered to set me up with a "great deal". I told him I would buy the most expensive cellphone he had...just as soon as he found and returned my missing pictures. 8-)

I doubt I could do that scene justice, Sumpter!

dang that really sucks, i hate cell fone cameras, i used to have to send pictures to verizons web site, i now have a memory card in my fone that i can take out of my fone, plug into and adapter, and plu into my printer which then goes to my computer :mrgreen:
Josh Mader

Maders Trains
We have a family cell phone plan. my mother-in-law got my old cellphone, I got my wife;s former phyone...and she got the new one with the neat studff you're talking about!

Oh, well...I'm practically a functional Luddite anyway, so it really wouldn't help unless I had a smarty-pants teen-ager along to make it all work. :mrgreen:
MountainMan Wrote:We have a family cell phone plan. my mother-in-law got my old cellphone, I got my wife;s former phyone...and she got the new one with the neat studff you're talking about!

Oh, well...I'm practically a functional Luddite anyway, so it really wouldn't help unless I had a smarty-pants teen-ager along to make it all work. :mrgreen:

Well maybe you will get her cellphone when she decides she wants a new one Misngth

and hey, im a smarty pants teen-ager Eek hehehe, well okay not really, i dont know that much LOL
Josh Mader

Maders Trains