Using scale people ?
Thanks again everyone.Yea! I forgot to mention-modeling the 50's-sorry about that. What I'll probably end up doing is to populate the layout,see how the figures look in a scene before I attach them.
Bob
The girl on the foredeck, and the one aft, are both the same Atlas figure. changing the arm position of the one on the foredeck, was enough to make using both in the same scene possible.    
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
I'd suggest not "attaching" them. Woodland Scenics' Scenic Cement, painted onto the soles of the feet, dries clear, yet remains tacky. This allows you to place a figure in a scene, and, at some time, move it to another location. This is useful especially for photos, as it can impart a sense of time and motion to a scene, for instance: a crowd on a station platform waiting for the train, then, after the train has passed, the crowd gone. For the same reason, my vehicles with drivers and passengers have the body not cemented to the chassis, and the LPBs not cemented in place. I don't always take the time to change or move them, :oops: but at least I have that option. Goldth

Wayne
Sumpter-nice scene.
Wayne-good point.I just was at the WS site looking at their figures (they are pricey). I saw the cement use to attach figures and put it on my "things I need list."
Bob
Sumpter250 Wrote:The girl on the foredeck, and the one aft, are both the same Atlas figure. changing the arm position of the one on the foredeck, was enough to make using both in the same scene possible.[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]

And changing both hair color and bathing suit color...

Besides, sisters exist in the prototype universe!
doctorwayne Wrote:I'd suggest not "attaching" them. Woodland Scenics' Scenic Cement, painted onto the soles of the feet, dries clear, yet remains tacky. This allows you to place a figure in a scene, and, at some time, move it to another location. This is useful especially for photos, as it can impart a sense of time and motion to a scene, for instance: a crowd on a station platform waiting for the train, then, after the train has passed, the crowd gone. For the same reason, my vehicles with drivers and passengers have the body not cemented to the chassis, and the LPBs not cemented in place. I don't always take the time to change or move them, :oops: but at least I have that option. Goldth

Wayne

An even better way is using a tiny dab of BlueTack or similar material. It removes completely when finished and leaves no marks on anything.
Try to catch people in realistic poses - by that I mean having a reason to be standing around - nothing looks sillier than a running man who goes nowhere!
two or three women ( maybe young Mums with push chairs , or one has a shopping trolley with junior standing in it, stood outside a Supermarket in a group chatting where they happened to meet, or a cop, leaning on the roof of a car talking to the driver are fine - but a football team standing about, with the quarter-back part way through a throw, looks silly
foulrift Wrote:Now that I am entering the final stages of my layout construction,I thought it might be a good idea if I asked the forum members their thoughts on using people on their layouts. This is one element that I never gave much thought. Do they tend to add or detract from a scene? If for example their is a scene at a freight platform and there are people but no trucks or freight cars, does having people in the scene make any sense or not?
I'd be interested in hearing your views.
Bob

Bob,Unless the workers are on break or lunch there should be no one loafing about on the dock-some companies prohibit unauthorized employees in the dock/receiving/shipping area(s).This is due to possible injuries or theft.

Also a very common mistake modelers make is to leave inbound or outbound shipments on the dock..This of course is frowned upon because of security reasons due to possible theft in fact leaving inbound or outbound shipments on the dock where I use to work was a automatic write up..

Should you use workers on the dock then have them to working such as sweeping off the dock or stacking skids-these are used for receiving non palletized LCL or express(UPS,FEDEX and other) express shipments.

As far as figures yes they add "life" to a layout..I personally aviod the cutesy pie " joke" figures since I want my figures to emulate real life.However, a over abundant of figures looks IMHO to "fake" even for a station scene.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!
Ed said:Lately, I've also been putting LPB's in my cars. Can't see having traffic on the road, with cars steered by ghosts.
--------------
Maybe the drivers are not ghost but, 80 year old women that can barely see over the dashboard. :o
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Brakie Wrote:
foulrift Wrote:Now that I am entering the final stages of my layout construction,I thought it might be a good idea if I asked the forum members their thoughts on using people on their layouts. This is one element that I never gave much thought. Do they tend to add or detract from a scene? If for example their is a scene at a freight platform and there are people but no trucks or freight cars, does having people in the scene make any sense or not?
I'd be interested in hearing your views.
Bob

Bob,Unless the workers are on break or lunch there should be no one loafing about on the dock-some companies prohibit unauthorized employees in the dock/receiving/shipping area(s).This is due to possible injuries or theft.

Also a very common mistake modelers make is to leave inbound or outbound shipments on the dock..This of course is frowned upon because of security reasons due to possible theft in fact leaving inbound or outbound shipments on the dock where I use to work was a automatic write up..

Should you use workers on the dock then have them to working such as sweeping off the dock or stacking skids-these are used for receiving non palletized LCL or express(UPS,FEDEX and other) express shipments.

As far as figures yes they add "life" to a layout..I personally aviod the cutesy pie " joke" figures since I want my figures to emulate real life.However, a over abundant of figures looks IMHO to "fake" even for a station scene.

Funny...they used to leave man-high stacks of silver ingots on the loading docks in Cripple Creek and other mining towns.
mm wrote:Funny...they used to leave man-high stacks of silver ingots on the loading docks in Cripple Creek and other mining towns.
--------------
I don't think we are discussing the 1800s here..Time change since then..Anything left unattended on docks is fair game for thieves.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Thanks again for the replies and suggestions. What I am now planning on doing once I get to adding people is to stage them in the different scenes and then take some pictures and post them so the members can see them and let me know what they think.
Bob
Brakie Wrote:Ed said:Lately, I've also been putting LPB's in my cars. Can't see having traffic on the road, with cars steered by ghosts.
--------------
Maybe the drivers are not ghost but, 80 year old women that can barely see over the dashboard. :o

Actually Larry....I did model an old lady barely can't see over the steering wheel.
Meet Mrs. Ferman. An old neighbor of mine when I was growing up, who drove a big old Buick. She drove looking through the spokes of the steering wheel. When I saw this Busch model of a Buick(Hers was Black though) I had to model her.

Attached Files Image(s)

Torrington, Ct.
NARA Member #87
I went to my Happy Place, but it was closed for renovations.
Bob - ca't wait to see what you come up with. You have some cool scenes on your layout that could use a few workers standing around on smoke breaks scratching their butts. Icon_lol
--
Kevin
Check out my Shapeways creations!
3-d printed items in HO/HOn3 and more!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s-model-train-detail-parts">https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s ... tail-parts</a><!-- m -->
88Fan-sweet.I see people today that drive like that.
Kevin-now that you mention butt scratching,I think I see the need for a couple of porta potties. Icon_lol
According to what Larry and 88 are saying about figures in vehicles,that may be a problem. All my vehicles are already in place and trying to remove them might cause some damage.
Bob