Poor shipping service
I was expecting a package today, and have been tracking it on a carriers web site. It isn't a parcel post package, and it is not coming UPS so to my knowledge that leaves another carrier that I won't mention. Anyway I got an e-mail tonight that said the package was "Undeliverable" The reason....catch this one....No attempt was made.
Now this is the third or forth time that this carrier has failed to deliver on time over the last 2 years. One time it took over 2 weeks to get the package I had ordered, and it had been shipped with special attention by a hobby shop because it was Christmas gifts. The reason that time was the regular driver had broken his leg. I really find this kind of thing totally unacceptable, but I guess it is a sign of the times.
Anyone else ever seen this? "No attempt made" is not what I call a valid reason.
Charlie
If you want some corrective measures taken to prevent this from happening again...you really should mention the carrier... Goldth
Gus (LC&P).
Mom always said that if I was fed up with express service I should not say bad things, only good.
Guess I can't remember much good. Icon_lol
If they do such a poor job why keep using them?
Tom

Model Conrail

PM me to get a hold of me.
I have received poor shipping service from both major carriers. I once had the "U" carrier damage a shipping label, "guess" what the missing numbers were rather than reprint the label from their database, realize the repaired label was for a house that did not exist, and toss my package in the snow instead. This package was also christmas gifts. Then I had some equipment shipped overnight via the "F" carrier for a job I was doing. Because of the item being shipped, it could not be carried on a commercial airline with me. Carrier "F" was two days late in delivering the "overnight" package, and as a result some data was never recorded.

Say what you want about USPS, but I have yet to have a major problem with them. I ship USPS whenever I can.
--
Kevin
Check out my Shapeways creations!
3-d printed items in HO/HOn3 and more!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s-model-train-detail-parts">https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s ... tail-parts</a><!-- m -->
That's odd, usually, my luck has been the opposite, F&%#UPS is the one around here that is as reliable as a rice paper kotex. I've always had good luck with Fed-Ex, however, somethings you may or may not know about Fed-Ex: On rural routes, they contract out to private carriers who have their own trucks (even though they are marked and painted Fed-Ex) and therein lies the problem. Contractors. While most strive to do great jobs, they often have LOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG routes (sometimes well over 100 miles a day!) and are paid extremely poorly. And you know the old adage, you get what you pay for. Most of these folks are hard working chaps who do their best, but they're stretched thin as a razor. I have a model railroad friend that works for Fed-Ex in North Carolina as a rural route driver at $10 an hour, 16 hour days, no overtime (contractor remember??) and no benefits. He does his best, but when the weather sucks, he's sick, etc.... Not good....
Tom Carter
Railroad Training Services
Railroad Trainers & Consultants
Stockton, CA
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.railroadtrainingservices.com">http://www.railroadtrainingservices.com</a><!-- m -->
<!-- e --><a href="mailto:tomwcarter@railroadtrainingservices.com">tomwcarter@railroadtrainingservices.com</a><!-- e -->
[Image: gaugetraingifsigUP.gif]
tomustang Wrote:If they do such a poor job why keep using them?
For some stupid reason this dealer doesn't use another carrier. The other option is to quit buying from them. I already sent them an email about the situation, and I guess I will no longer deal there unless shipping options change.
Of course they offer the premium shipping options, but why pay more for the same lousy service from the same carrier?
I think it has a lot to do with the local driver.
I too have never had a problem with the postal service on packages but most online stores don't offer this option, which is a shame, because often they are the cheapest and fastest.
Regardless, "no attempt made" to deliver a package is totally irresponsible for a multi-billion dollar carrier.
Charlie
Charlie B Wrote:
tomustang Wrote:If they do such a poor job why keep using them?
For some stupid reason this dealer doesn't use another carrier. The other option is to quit buying from them. I already sent them an email about the situation, and I guess I will no longer deal there unless shipping options change.
Of course they offer the premium shipping options, but why pay more for the same lousy service from the same carrier?
I think it has a lot to do with the local driver.
I too have never had a problem with the postal service on packages but most online stores don't offer this option, which is a shame, because often they are the cheapest and fastest.
Regardless, "no attempt made" to deliver a package is totally irresponsible for a multi-billion dollar carrier.
Charlie
Being forced to use them... that is even worse, this is why I don't use ebay as much. Whenever I do I request usps as much as possible because of the least problems with them
Tom

Model Conrail

PM me to get a hold of me.
My Wife is Crippled, so she is at home all day, every day.

That means that there is always someone home to receive any package or parcel.

All of the local carriers pooch the job.

Living in a Condo, they automatically assume that no one is home and they don't bother to buzz the unit.

They all just come into the lobby and leave their little tags saying that they attempted to deliver and no one was home.

"Call this number to arrange delivery"

"Come to the post office to pick up your parcel"

Worst is having to go all the way down town to the Fed-Ex building when the driver refuses to handle a Canada Customs payment.

Ruby's caught on to the scam and knows when the delivery trucks come. Using the tracking numbers online, she knows when the package is supposed to be arriving and she'll wait for them.

Our Condo Office will also receive parcels so there's no excuse except being too lazy to carry a carton a few meters.
Ron Wm. Hurlbut
Toronto, Ontario, Dominion of Canada
Ontario Narrow Gauge Show
Humber Valley & Simcoe Railway Blog
Any time I make a order I perfer USPS..My packages usually arrive 3-4 days after I place the order.The fastest turn around to date has to be from M.B.Klein..Placed a order on Sunday and had it by Wednesday via USPS..
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!
I use USPS Exclusively to ship product to my customers. Ive used USPS for the past few years when ive sold something, and have always used USPS when selling o ebay. I use USPS to ship all my built-up structures. Ive never had one problem with USPS. USPS Priority Mail, USPS Parcel Post, and USPS Express Mail, as well as USPS Priority Mail International and USPS First Class Mail International, all have had excellent service and have delivered my packages within the posted delivery times for each service.

Now granted ive had a few boxes a little roughed up, both delivered to my customers and personal packages delivered to myself, but for the most part, excellent, fast, and reliable service from USPS. Ive also discovered that if you buy the USPS Insurance on packages, they treat them even better and truly do "handle with care" to ensure no damage to your packages

Of coarse, USPS service doesnt do much good if you dont live in the USA lol

Ive had bad experiences with UPS Ground and FedEx Ground. Both have delivered excessively damaged packages to my house, both are expensive to use to ship items, and both take longer for delivery over USPS. UPS Ground for instance, about 5-7 days for delivery and more expensive then USPS Priority Mail which is 2-3 day delivery! Go Figure....

Anyways, my rant about my liking for USPS over UPS and FedEx is over now LOL
Josh Mader

Maders Trains
Offering everyday low prices for the Model Railroad World
Charlie, another reason for your "non-deliveries" could be your location. As I discovered when Ed and I made our last visit to you, my gps devise "sorta" knows your location, but is unaware of how to get to the correct side of the river. Eek We ended-up on the wrong side, and it was only by recognising some local landmarks that we were able to get there- the gps was of no use. Even when coming from Kittanning, on the proper side of the river, I had to punch in Apollo as the destination, as using Schenley sent us west, then south.
Of course, "no attempt made" is inexcusable. Shoot It is indicative, however, of the growing tendency of people to not do their jobs properly and to take no pride in their work or, by extension, themselves. Curse

Wayne
doctorwayne Wrote:Charlie, another reason for your "non-deliveries" could be your location. As I discovered when Ed and I made our last visit to you, my gps devise "sorta" knows your location, but is unaware of how to get to the correct side of the river. Eek Wayne

I have to use GPS to navigate for my job. These GPS sytems are more veratile and accurate than what most people have in their cars. It does not tell me where to turn - it just overlays my loaction on top of satellite imagery and/or various maps and street coverages of my choosing.

The problem is - when out in rural areas one is still better off using "dead reckoning", knowing which way is north or south, and anticipating obstructions that might be in the way. Most of the maps that are loaded into GPS units were compiled from aerial or satellite imagery, and the map maker had no way of knowing whether a road goes through or is blocked. If the delivery guy has driven that route once before, he/she is already better off than the best GPS system on the market.
--
Kevin
Check out my Shapeways creations!
3-d printed items in HO/HOn3 and more!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s-model-train-detail-parts">https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s ... tail-parts</a><!-- m -->
As Wayne said, we are off the beaten path, 4 miles from the state route, however, the delivery drivers all know the area and know us. They even keep treats in their pockets for the dogs. My problem is when a package is tracked and supposed to be delivered on a certain day, It should be delivered. I understand that things can happen to prevent a delivery, but please at least lie to me. They could have said "delivery delayed due to truck being struck by train" Big Grin . Now that is sure better then "no attempt made"
Charlie
It could very well be a generic message being displayed. Who knows what happened to driver. Perhaps there was a vehicle issue, driver problems, or a number of other reasons the caused a delivery attempt to be missed. I've had a couple packages by all 3 major carriers simply get "rescheduled" for the following day with no reason given. It's annoying, but I know things happen.

I recently bought a $1300 macbook pro from Apple and FedEx was the carrier (Apple's exclusive carrier). The driver for whatever reason delivered the laptop to another house because my "delivered" package was not at my house. I talked directly with people from FedEx Security (nationally and locally), showed them my surveillance footage, and they ended up figuring out what happened, was able to recover the laptop (obviouslly opened and used by the wrong recipient) and arranged for Apple to overnight me a new laptop.

It took two weeks to get my laptop that should have arrived in two days, but I was thankful that FedEx investigated and got the problem resolved with much hassle on my part.