DoctorWayne and shelf layout benchwork
jglfan Wrote:There are lots of ways, a lot depends on how wide an area the upper deck will be. Brackets off the wall are good for 18" or so, some might say 2" but I think that is pushing it. You can use standard shelf mounting hardware (buy the double brackets for extra strength)

On my existing shelves, I am using the same type of shelf rail/brackets as in Nolatron's photos. They do make a 24" bracket. At least they used to. I was in HD the other day and didn't see the 24" ones. Another thing is, they cost over 6 bucks each if I remember correctly.

I have one place where I extended these out to 30 inches and have experienced no problems. On my new layout, I'll also have some places with 30" wide shelving. The shelves are 1x2 frame with 1/4 luan(?) plywood and 2" foam on top of that, so fairly lightweight.
Three Foot Rule In Effect At All Times
Gary S Wrote:Wayne... once you get your second level built, what will be your estimated total footage of shelves?

Without measuring it, it's difficult to guess: the current lower level mainline, which makes a complete circuit of the room, overlapping somewhat as some of it traverses the same general area, is about 142'. The grade up to the second level, already in place, is 44', and there'll be approximately another 65' of track to, and including, the upper staging yard. These distances are single track, with double track, passing sidings and, of course, industrial sidings not included.

For support of the upper level, most of it will be atop custom-made angle iron brackets, lag-bolted to the wall studs. Layout width will be the same or wider than that of the level below, with fluorescent fixtures attached to the underside of the upper level benchwork. At the end of the aisle at Chippawa Creek, the upper benchwork will span the room from side-to-side, so no brackets will be required there.

Wayne