Aluminum siding
I know this shouild be in the scratch building forum but it don't have much covreage . I'm looking to recreat the wide aluminum siding used in the 50's and 60's as best i can tell the wide stuff is close to 12 inches wide and was wondering if Plastruct's 1/8 inch clapboard siding would make due for HO scale?as its only .020 thick it would have to be applied over a sub wall just as the real stuff was over laid on wall. the corner 's could be phonied up with .005 styreen i think.
any thoughts ?
jim
Sounds like a plan... In HO, 1 inch is about 7 1/2 feet, so 1/8" should be about right.

Be sure to post some pictures of the result!

Andrew
1/8 inch in ho is probably about 10 inches. 1 foot is actually 3.5mm. That being said, I don't think you are likely to notice the difference and neither will anyone else unless you tell them the difference.
I'm with Russ on this one. Though in real life you really can't tell aluminum siding from wood or vinyl from a distance. Unless you tell someone that "That house has aluminum siding", its not really going to make a difference on a model.
But..Its a very little modeled. if at all, detail that would be interesting to see the results. I guess the only way to show it on a model would be have a contractors truck with something like "Pete's Aluminum Siding" on the side, and a crew working on the side of the house.
Torrington, Ct.
NARA Member #87
I went to my Happy Place, but it was closed for renovations.
Quote:the corner 's could be phonied up with .005 styreen i think.

If I'm not mistaken, the corners on aluminum siding were angle stock 1" or 1-1/4" on a side. Evergreen's smallest angle stock could be used to represent that, although the .020 thickness would have to carry into the angle used,unless the angle was applied "over" the corner joint, so maybe a larger angle stock would be needed.
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
Thanks for the input here a photo of the house i'm trying to build it was built in 1897 according to the information with the photo's, the reason i was thinking of the Plastruct as opposed to the Evergreen is the Plastruct edged are not as sharp as Evergreen's as you can see in the photo the roll in the bottom of the siding is more rounded, and the corners don't appear to have much stand out, thats why i was thinking of .005 styreen.the photo is from 1963 and as you can see a seam in the siding under the left window giving it a long sheet , thats why i figured it to be aluminum.
jim

Attached Files Image(s)

The size of it almost certainly gives it away as aluminum siding. There are only 7 or 8 panels beside the door, which makes them about a foot high each. Also, there is some framing around the windows - created by the channel used to keep the siding in place. The "wrinkles" under the window are also characteristic.

Wood siding (clapboard, novelty, etc) would not be more than about 6 inches high. This house [albumimg]1214[/albumimg] is the one I grew up in, and it has novelty siding. Note that there are 16 rows of wood siding alongside the window on the left, versus 7 in the picture above. My old house dates from approximately 1865, but it's got similar features and trim.

Andrew
Unless cedar shiplap siding was used, which is ten inches wide now - foot wide in the old days when bigger cedar trees were plentiful, and commonly butt-joined. A number of composite siding materials have also been used throughout the decades.

The problem with aluminum siding is that it ruins the classic appeal of that Victorian structure.
MountainMan Wrote:Unless cedar shiplap siding was used, which is ten inches wide now - foot wide in the old days when bigger cedar trees were plentiful, and commonly butt-joined. A number of composite siding materials have also been used throughout the decades.

have a photo from the 40's showing it as a clap board sided .

The problem with aluminum siding is that it ruins the classic appeal of that Victorian structure.

having owned one of these victorian monoliths (3100 sq ft ) the owners of this house (as i was) were not woried about appeal, they were built with no insulation after the first winter in mine i had the clapboard take off insulation applied and covered with celotex and aluminum siding to stop the wind from blowing through it.

Andrew nice looking house. you have photo of the back and other side ?

jim