Waterfall Tutorial...Post your comments here...
Waterfall Tutorial
Steve.....That's an awesome tutorial....straightforward and well illustrated. And the results are terrific..!!! Worship
Guess I'll have to make room for one when I get around to building the peninsula section of the layout.... Goldth
Gus (LC&P).
Cheers

Yup. It seems very simple to do, and with outstanding results. Nicely done!
Tony
I saw another product in Ace hardware the other day that came in a caulking tube and advertised itself as being many times clearer than clear silicone. It says it cures flexible. I don't plan on any water features on my layout, but for those that are, you may want to check this out and experiment. That waterfall looks great. I wish I had a place to use such a technique on my layout.
--
Kevin
Check out my Shapeways creations!
3-d printed items in HO/HOn3 and more!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s-model-train-detail-parts">https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s ... tail-parts</a><!-- m -->
Thank you guys Thumbsup
I think the most ironic part of all this, is that I have no place to put a waterfall on my new layout Eek
Steve
On my new module set, I wanted to "plant" some willow trees. With better part of 30" X 8' of the 12 foot total length, being "salt water", I will have to create some fresh water area for the trees to be located near. A waterfall would give that fresh water some place to go (like, to sea?) I just may end up trying your technique, it's one of the best I've seen yet.
Very nicely done, Steve. Very nicely indeed.
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
Have I missed something? Where can I find the tutorial?
Be sure to visit my model railroad blog at <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.namrr.blogspot.com">http://www.namrr.blogspot.com</a><!-- m -->
torikoos Wrote:Have I missed something? Where can I find the tutorial?

You’ll find it in The Academy here: Waterfall Tutorial
Kurt
torikoos Wrote:Have I missed something? Where can I find the tutorial?

Torikoos,

We are slowly building/rebuilding the Academy. We think it's one forum that has set us apart from other rr sites over the years - The Academy has been with The Gauge/Big Blue through all its incarnations.

If you have something or see something by another member that you think is worth including, let me know. We're happy to consider all kinds of material for inclusion.

Andrew
Will it work on steep rapids?
I don't see why not...Do a mock-up and we'll find out..... Goldth
Gus (LC&P).
MountainMan Wrote:Will it work on steep rapids?

I guess my "old age memory loss is complete now", I cannot remember ever seeing steep rapids modeled. Lots of falls, but no rapids.

"I don't see why not...Do a mock-up and we'll find out..... "

Sounds like a good idea to me. Actually, you could make it a tutorial! The beauty of that would be that even from the less than desirable outcomes you might run in to, there would be good information, and a great "how-to"..........and, no, we don't expect to see it tomorrow, it will take a while to develop technique, and organize the steps, and results, but it would be a neat project!
May your journey be swift, safe, and maybe even dry. Big Grin
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
MountainMan Wrote:Will it work on steep rapids?

I'll be heading out to pick up some of the Liquid Nails Clear seal, when I'm done here. The "falls" on the new modules aren't as tall, or sharply inclined, so will be more like a swift stream, with rock in the way (" almost a steep rapids "), flowing into the harbor.
MountainMan, If you are going to try to model steep rapids, I guess the time is now, or I'll end up beating you to it.. :o Big Grin Big Grin
( not meant as a challenge, but take it as you may. Wink )

I will have to play with the material a bit to "get the hang of it" ( no pun intended ). More importantly, to determine if it can be worked "in place". The results will be posted here: http://www.the-gauge.net/forum/viewtopic...=19&t=1773
I'm also going to play with an idea for simulating "foam" on the water surface. Stippling white paint is good, but..........We'll see. :|
Here is a picture of my feeble attempt at "swift" water, I used clear silicone caulking in a tube from the Family Dollar.    
I used some white craft paint under it to create a foamy look in some of the places, and I used shale for rock bed. It will work well with someone that has more practice at it.

Charlie
Just to clarify and give credit where it's due.....This tutorial was done by "Nazgul" (Steve), in his original incarnation. I was just commenting on it, and that appears to be where this thread was picked up. Goldth
Gus (LC&P).
Steamtrains Wrote:Just to clarify and give credit where it's due.....This tutorial was done by "Nazgul" (Steve), in his original incarnation. I was just commenting on it, and that appears to be where this thread was picked up. Goldth

And to further clarify for folks who are unaware of our old forum, where this tutorial was originally posted, Steve and Nazgul are one and the same. Wink Goldth

The staff here at Big Blue are currently working on bringing over or re-creating noteworthy threads from the old Academy. Some of the original posters are now here at Big Blue, some have moved on, and some, sadly, are no longer living. In all cases, the original creator of the thread is credited for his/her work.

Wayne