Powered Cabooses
Does anyone have any information that might lead you to believe that cabooses were ever powered for locomotion?
I've heard of a few self-propelled "non-locomotives" like burro cranes, but never a caboose. Some may be fitted with generators that run off the axle, maybe leading to a set-up that looks superficially like a traction motor...

Andrew
I've see some rolling by gravity in yards ,with a brakeman controlling it . It was an easier way to hook up to a train than to back up the hole train. That might have lead to the notion the some were powered, otherwise I have never heard of a self propelled caboose.
 My other car is a locomotive, ARHS restoration crew  
What prompted the question was that we received a question on our historical society website. The individual posing the question was using as an example a Lionel caboose that he says "had a motor in it." I don't really know enough about Lionel cabooses to make an educated respose, but wonder if maybe it was either a track cleaning car or a motion car. I've never seen either in HO as those things are ususally in box cars or something similar, but maybe? Nope :?:
Possibly if someone switched the chassis for one from a whistling tender.
David
Moderato ma non troppo
Perth & Exeter Railway Company
Esquesing & Chinguacousy Radial Railway
In model railroading, there are between six and two hundred ways of performing a given task.
Most modellers can get two of them to work.
Bob,

Are we talking prototype or model here? I would think that in the model world, anything is possible...

Andrew
The person asking the question has a model caboose with a motor in it. He is asking if it is based on a caboose from the real world?
MasonJar Wrote:Some may be fitted with generators that run off the axle, maybe leading to a set-up that looks superficially like a traction motor...
Andrew

Pic taken of a retired Guilford System caboose. I'm sure other generator sets may look differeent, and maybe confused as traction motors.

Attached Files Image(s)

Torrington, Ct.
NARA Member #87
I went to my Happy Place, but it was closed for renovations.
I assume that the the picture shows a "generator" used probably to power lights, etc in the caboose itself. Is that how you understand it?
Thats what I was thinking. Looks like also the generator might be mounted in the caboose itself and not outside. If you notice the top pulley has no belts, and there is nothing that looks like a generator attatched. The belts might of went through the floor, but the picture was taken back in the late 1980's, and my memory has slipped since then.
Here's a tip: When taken prototype pics, bring a notebook...Something I never do. I'd probably forget where I put it if I did.
Torrington, Ct.
NARA Member #87
I went to my Happy Place, but it was closed for renovations.
I see - trying to figure out if there is a prototype to match the model...! Wink

I don't know much about Lionel, but is it possible that the caboose is really an interpretation of an early boxcab diesel or oil electric? Some of those had "porches" on the ends, roof ladders, and no cupolas, - very similar to some caboose designs.

Of course, it's equally possible that Lionel just made it because. Lionel, LGB and some others often made fanciful or funny items that have no real world counterpart. Can't find a picture, but remember the "galloping goose" work truck with the propellor on it...? Wink Big Grin

Andrew
The bottom line for this discussion is not so much what the guy asking the question is holding in his hand Icon_lol , but does anyone know of a prototype upon which a powered toy caboose might be based? Certainly if there every was such a thing any power it may have had would have been used to move itself rather than supplement head end power on a train, right?
Cabooses were rolling office cars for the conductor, as well as living quarters while underway for the rear brakeman and the conductor. As such most cabooses were very short. The longest ones were either combination cars used for passengers as well as the rear end crew on short lines or drover's cabooses used as a place for for wranglers to ride to accompany cattle shipments. I've never seen a caboose big enough to do the job of a caboose and also house any sort of prime mover. I hesitate to say never, but unless someone has a picture or other evidence of a powered caboose, I would say there was never any sort of prototype. I can't even think of any reason why a railroad would want to power a caboose.
Russ, I totally agree and think that we probably have a case of mistaken identity or a piece of Lionel equipment that someone has done a major modification on. Not knowing how familiar the person asking the question is with various rolling stock I even thought that maybe it was an old gas/electric, but I don't even know if Lionel made one.

I appreciate all of the help you fine folks have provided. I was pretty sure I was correct on this one but thought I'd best check with the experts before I stuck out my neck too far. Thanks very much to all of you. Thumbsup
The only other caboose that might be mistaken for powered were the Pacifc Electric ones that had trolley poles to operate signals. Trolley lines often had contactors on the wire that counted the poles in and out.
David
Moderato ma non troppo
Perth & Exeter Railway Company
Esquesing & Chinguacousy Radial Railway
In model railroading, there are between six and two hundred ways of performing a given task.
Most modellers can get two of them to work.