That was no ore, that was...
...once the world's largest ore dock. It had 112 chutes per side, and could load two ore ships at once. Sadly, even though it is over one hundred years old, and the nice town of Ashland, WI would like to keep it as a tourist attraction, it is scheduled to be demolished in the near future.

view from a ways back:    
getting closer:    
the dock is constructed from wood:    
I only know what I know, and I don't understand very much of it, either.
Member: AEA, American Legion, Lions Club International
Motto: "Essayons"
for some reason, I'm restricted to three photos per post, (probably due to the size of my photos,) anyway to continue:
concrete:    
and steel:    
I have several other photos, and maybe if I can figure out how to reduce them in size, a wee bit, I'll post them on a separate thread. Thanks for looking! Big Grin I hope I didn't stall-out too many computers. :ugeek: Misngth
It's because you're linking to the photos in your gallery album. If they were hosted on an outside hosting site like Photobucket you wouldn't have that limit.
15 year veteran fire fighter
Collector of Apple //e's

Beatus homo qui invenit sapientiam
Thanks, RB! I appreciate the advice!
Holy crap! That is massive! I've never seen anything like that. It must be huge. I can only imagine the amount of coal that went through that sucker on a daily basis. Confusedhock:
Eek That is a sweet ore dock!! Thanks for sharing it Goldth

The ore dock that i will have for my future steel mill layout will be about this size or longer. Im not sure how many chutes it will have on either side when im finished with it, i sat down and figured it out one time but i forgot lol. The Ore Dock i will have will be 12-1/2' long and will be made from 4 Ore Dock kits. Here is a pic of the plan for the lower level of the future steel mill plans to give an idea of the Ore Dock i have planned:

[Image: c16ebff6.jpg]
Josh Mader

Maders Trains
Offering everyday low prices for the Model Railroad World
Great pics!