Wahl Clipper Oil for Track: The Verdict 2 Years on?
Remember about years ago a fad swept the online forums involved keeping your electric trains of any scale running well by coating the rails with Wahl Clipper oil? Well it's been two years since I remember reading about it. Does anybody still use it, and how successful or unsuccessful have you been using it?

What's the verdict for this product? Just another fad or something to continue using?
I've been using it since 1984, when it was first brought up in MR magazine. I find it works best with metal wheels and that a little goes a very long way.
...prophesy not unto us right things, speak unto us smooth things, prophesy deceits...

My blog>>> <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.misterbobsmodelworksemporium.blogspot.com">http://www.misterbobsmodelworksemporium.blogspot.com</a><!-- m -->
Still love it! Saved my enjoyment of the hobby. Thumbsup
Ralph
The largest model railway in the world, Miniatur Wunderland in Hamburg, doesn't oil or any other fluid on their 12 kilometers of track. They just use track rubbers to clean and vacuum up the dust afterwards.
This is what one of the workers there says. "The reason why we dry-clean is also quite simple:
Any fluid leaves some residue on the tracks and the chance to completely dry the track is minimal. Damp track, however, is a magnet for dirt and dust which in turn is picked up by the engines and that results in higher maintenance of rolling stock. We tried it and had to state that some wagons picked up that much dirt that the wheels didn't turn anymore. Some engines just barely were able to pick up current due to dirty wheel boxes (especially the American ones)."

See their video on Youtube. <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGbx4ceLnSA&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fthecentralstation%2Emyfreeforum%2Eorg%2Fabout2319%2Ehtml&feature=player_embedded">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGbx4ceL ... r_embedded</a><!-- m -->
Every bit of logic suggests to me that the oil would be a bad idea. First, it is oil on the rail that logic says will reduce traction. Second, the oil is a fluid that should act as a "glue" to stick dirt to the rails. Also, oils can be insulators, and one would think the resistance across a layer of oil would be a problem. But, many swear by it, so obviously it either must do something or at least not cause much harm.

I can think of one possibility. Some oils can act as a detergents for loosening up gunk. WD-40 is an example, as is your standard 10w-30 motor oil. Perhaps the Wahl oil has some detergent properties. Also, a thin coating of oil would reduce oxidation as the railhead is no longer in contact with the air. My guess is the coating of oil is thin enough that it does not effect electrical properties. The locomotive also may be heavy enough to force the oil out of the contact area between the wheel and the rail - thus the traction and the electrical contact aren't significantly affected.

I haven't tried it yet, but enough people swear by it that I would give it a try if I start running into dirty track headaches. I don't think I would use it if I had locomotives with traction tires or cars with plastic wheels. The oil could soften both the tires and the wheels over time.
--
Kevin
Check out my Shapeways creations!
3-d printed items in HO/HOn3 and more!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s-model-train-detail-parts">https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s ... tail-parts</a><!-- m -->
been using it since the early 80's with shining results. the biggest problem with using wahl if you can see it and feel it your using way too much.on the other hand one guy i know swears by #1 diesel with the same results. good thing he is a diesel opperation cause it stinks.
jim

Ps it will make traction tires swell up and fall of but regular plastic wheel's don't seem to be affected by it.
Hi All: In the old forum, there were a few people who swore by a product called "No-Ox". It is supposed to be an anti-oxident, used sparingly, but some claimed they had not cleaned their track in months and sometimes years. Has anyone here tried it? Or have an update on its effectiveness?
dwight77
While we're on the subject, another highly touted method is to use a process called 'gleaming'. You use a fine grit sand-paper to scrub your rail heads, ending with something near 600 grit, and then burnish them with a mag wheel metal polish such as Mother's or Black Magic. Finally, take a steel washer and scrub the rail heads until they look like mirrors. Those who have sucked it in and actually tried this (because they had grown desperate over countless other failed tips), have become enthusiastic converts. The big outcome is that the rails no longer have to be cleaned every week or three...some report going a full year between cleanings, and one guy says he hasn't had to clean his rails in three years!

I will also say the idea of oiling the rails sounds highly counter-intuitive, and I am averse to trying it. I could be wrong about my choice....

-Crandell
Guys,I also don't think putting oil on your track is a sound idea.

Why is that?

Glad you ask.

I have mention several times I lightly oil my locomotives..The cry of "don't use oil,it gets on your track "replies was thunderous..

Now,if my light oiling 'round is hazardous to my track then that means so is Wahl clipper oil since its a oil.

Or do we have double standards? :?:
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!
I don't know about double standards...I just know what worked or me. People are welcome to try it or not. Two years ago i started a thread about experimenting with Wahl oil. I only put it on a long siding and used one loco on it. After a month or so that loco ran great on that siding...so I put oil on the main line. I routinely run a masonite track cleaner car to catch dust but only add the tiniest drop of oil to my track about once every 6 months, if that.

Ralph
You're probably going to have a hard time finding it but TV tuner cleaner (remember TV's that had a knob you had to get up and turn to change channels?) worked good for me years ago when I had a damp basement that the dehumidifier couldn't keep up with. It cleans and protects against oxidation at the same time. A modular O scale traction group I used to belong to many years ago used Wahl clipper oil on the trolley wire and track and had good results except that any piece of equipment that had plastic wheels became dirt and grunge magnets.
I don't use the Wahl oil and I don't clean track, either. Goldth

Wayne
I use "No-Ox" all the time at work to keep electrical connections from corroding and threads from seizing. but to use it on track EEEEEEEEEE...............This stuff, even in small amounts gets EVERY WHERE. It is also a magnet for dust and dirt. It also can make plastic dry and brittle over a long time of exposure(years). If you like your models, I wouldn't ever put it on your track.
 My other car is a locomotive, ARHS restoration crew  
I guess I just took "No-Ox" off my list of items to try. Not sure how much time, money, and frustration you saved me e-paw.....but thanks.
dwight77
No problem D77.. I prefer to keep my track dry no oil or anything. Never tried the wahl oil thing, It kind of scares me :o .
 My other car is a locomotive, ARHS restoration crew