Cleaning your models?
How do you keep your trains clean? alot of models have to get handled at one point or another, but i t seems even with clean hands, stuff gets on them. is there away to scrub things off? some models feel sticky, even though the paint has been dry for months (and i can no longer smell paint odors)
Modeling New Jersey Under the Wire 1978-1979.  
[Image: logosmall.png]
I try not to handle them at all, but if I do, it is near the running boards, and not/never on the shells. As a result, my engines develop a coat of dust over time, but if I do happen to touch them, it isn't a sticky sensation, just dry paint. Also, except for weathering with acrylic washes, I don't paint at all.

For getting rid of dust, I use my breath and/or a clean, dry artist's brush with longish bristles. I flick the brush gently over the item and blow at what is raised by that action.

It goes all over the layout, but a later sprtiz with water and a bit of isopropyl alcohol over any dusty ground foam will soon have it looking prety good again. Or, you can try a gentle vacuuming over the ground foam, but be prepared to have to add a touch up layer.

-Crandell
Same here.
Though sometimes its impossible not to touch the model directly, or keep little grand anklebiter fingers from poking at them, but I try to grab them from the bottom. Unless its a prominent finger print, usuall I'll just leave it(natural weathering?), then its just a damp face cloth.
If you're having trouble with paint still sticky months after you've painted them, then it would be a good idea to check the mix, or change to a different brand of paint. Also leaving the model under a lamp(not a heat lamp...unless its brass) might help in the drying process.
Torrington, Ct.
NARA Member #87
I went to my Happy Place, but it was closed for renovations.
Where almost all the activity my trains are involved in is at shows on the modular layout, they get handled a lot! For the most part, I haven't noticed any buildup of "stuff"( what happens more often, is "detail removal" ). The things that are exposed (not in boxes), do get a lot of dust, which is removed with a small soft dry brush, and low pressure air (via the airbrush, without the paint cup, and nozzle assembly).
This even works on the rigging of ship models, though the process is slower, and more carefully done.
I haven't tried water/alcohol mist on the "layout dust", but it would stand to reason that this method would very closely mirror normal natural external "weathering". I may have to set up a small diorama on which to test this "rain wash" technique. Perhaps, again, low pressure air could be used to knock off most of the loose dust, before "washing". I would not recommend a vacuum cleaner, although there are tiny ones made for just that purpose, that work to some extent and don't remove all the "foliage".
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
I use those cheap, disposable white cotton gloves.
Selector Wrote:I try not to handle them at all, but if I do, it is near the running boards, and not/never on the shells. As a result, my engines develop a coat of dust over time, but if I do happen to touch them, it isn't a sticky sensation, just dry paint. Also, except for weathering with acrylic washes, I don't paint at all.

For getting rid of dust, I use my breath and/or a clean, dry artist's brush with longish bristles. I flick the brush gently over the item and blow at what is raised by that action.

It goes all over the layout, but a later sprtiz with water and a bit of isopropyl alcohol over any dusty ground foam will soon have it looking prety good again. Or, you can try a gentle vacuuming over the ground foam, but be prepared to have to add a touch up layer.

-Crandell

yeah, i to tend to only pick things up by the frames, or the bottom of the fuel tanks and the roofs (usually in a convenient spot), and i always try to minimize anytime my bare fingers touch the model. this is also just in case the shell isn't on properly.

That said, the model in question was being handled by someone else, who put their hands all over it trying to bend a couple trip pin in place. the model had been in a box for couple months prior, and he claimed it felt a little sticky. being dumb, i touched it to, but i don't think either of us left a print, but it worried me that it was feeling like something was on it after i put it fresh into it's box and it has not been touched for months. its only a small area on the long hood that feels like paint that is not quite dry., but dry enough to appear finished. the worse i found was a whitish look (its a black locomotive), and even that only shows in certain light. Still, i wanted to give it a good cleaning. I know some of my other models look like they could use a cleaning.
Modeling New Jersey Under the Wire 1978-1979.  
[Image: logosmall.png]
I find that a soft 3/4" or 1" brush does a good job of removing dust, but not in the layout room. Eek
Most of my trains get handled fairly regularly, as freight cars get cycled on and off the layout (interchange), but I'm usually the one doing the handling, so no excuse not to have clean hands. Locomotives are handled less, but they still need occasional servicing. While I seldom have problems with details breaking off, paint on metal grabirons can easily chip, even when the car is stored in its box. Every so often, I gather up the ones needing touch-up, using paint that's close to the original, but not necessarily an exact match.

If your models are sticky (from little fingers or larger (and ruder) Shoot ones), a wipe with a damp cloth may help or even with a little dish detergent added. If it's really bad, disassemble it as necessary, then wash it in the sink using dish detergent in warm water (unless, of course, it's a wooden model). Let it air dry, then put everything back together.

I've also used my shop vac with the soft brush attachment to remove dust from car roofs, buildings, and scenery.

Wayne
With small-scale models, I find it preferable to just hold the model in a way that it will not fall and not breaking off details (mostly an issue with steamers) over ruining the paint job. I've found the combination of breath and a clean, dry brush to be a very effective method for cleaning. Received a second hand diesel yesterday and spent quite a while disassembling and removing dust and animal hair from the in- and outsides. (was amazed that it even ran!) Had to use tweezers to get some dust/hair out of difficult places, so I guess those could be recommended for difficult cases, too.
-norm
MountainMan Wrote:I use those cheap, disposable white cotton gloves.
MM, Where do you get those gloves?
Charlie
MountainMan Wrote:I use those cheap, disposable white cotton gloves.
That or non-powdered Nitrile Gloves
Tom

Model Conrail

PM me to get a hold of me.
Dust and dirt are a real problem for me. I don't know why, My layout building has a carpeted concrete floor. I covered the walls with plastic before starting the layout and have a drop ceiling. The building is dedicated to my layout, there is nothing else in it. I have just decided that the dust is natural weathering. That might be my dirty track problem but I don't know what to do about it. Yes I tried air cleaners that cerculate the air through a filter. They are a joke.
Les
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.lesterperry.webs.com/">http://www.lesterperry.webs.com/</a><!-- m --> Check it out
http://www.youtube.com/lesterperry/
We have the furnace fan on continually. I don't have a major dirt or humidity problem, although there's lots of dust on my models. Every so often I dust them using a couple of un-needed shaving brushes. Major accumulations may require a Q-tip with wet water or one of those little brushes with a tiny cotton ball on the end.
Cat hair usually gets attacked with tweezers.
David
Moderato ma non troppo
Perth & Exeter Railway Company
Esquesing & Chinguacousy Radial Railway
In model railroading, there are between six and two hundred ways of performing a given task.
Most modellers can get two of them to work.
Have you tried a HEPA filter?
I have an air recirculator in my wood shop, and it sure helps keep the dust in control.
I only know what I know, and I don't understand very much of it, either.
Member: AEA, American Legion, Lions Club International
Motto: "Essayons"
sgtcarl1 Wrote:Have you tried a HEPA filter?
I have an air recirculator in my wood shop, and it sure helps keep the dust in control.

If you are asking me, I'm not sure I used a Honeywell air cleaner and could see no difference. I have decided it is just something I will have to learn to live with. Although my wife is after me to go along with selling the place again. She has promised the basement would be mine. I am not ready to go there right now. Anyway A fresh start might be what I need to eliminate the problem.
Les
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.lesterperry.webs.com/">http://www.lesterperry.webs.com/</a><!-- m --> Check it out
http://www.youtube.com/lesterperry/
A HEPA filter does more than just filter dust. It also filters odors, pollen, pet dander, and just about every other nasty thing that can be floating around. Including things such as dust mites. It is a big help to us people who have allergies and pets. I couldn't breathe without one, sometimes. (air filter, that is.) Goldth
I only know what I know, and I don't understand very much of it, either.
Member: AEA, American Legion, Lions Club International
Motto: "Essayons"