paper backdrop cement ?
Any of you use printed paper back drops? I printed up some building pictures for my backdrop, and am wondering what to use to fasten them to the backdrop to keep them flat without the ink running. Right now I used clear tape to see how they look, but it looks hoaky. Nope

Loren
I got my first train when I was three,
put a hundred thousand miles on my knees.
From my days of laminating air photos and other paper products to foamcore... I'd say a spray adhesive used in "dry mode" might be best. Spray the backdrop, not the printout, and wait for it to dry. Then carefully (you only get one chance) place the photo/paper. Unless you have really thick paper, the spray glue will soak through and ruin the print. You will need to check that these suggestions are compatible with whatever spray you select.

The other option is thin, photomounting double sided tape. Be sure to do the perimeter and the seams for the best result. Because this option is kind of tricky on the seams, I usually reverted to the method above to do my air photos.

Andrew
Thanks Andrew. The spray sounds the best.

Loren
I did one print that way this year. I can't do any more until the weather warms up again.
I went too fast and got some wrinkles. If I'd been thinking I would have used a wax paper separator while I lined the print up. (Does that work, Andrew?)
David
Moderato ma non troppo
Perth & Exeter Railway Company
Esquesing & Chinguacousy Radial Railway
In model railroading, there are between six and two hundred ways of performing a given task.
Most modellers can get two of them to work.
Wax paper? Don't know, but it sounds good. I know when wood veneer is glued to the underlay, wood sitcks are often used to maintain separation, so it's a good idea in theory. With the glue I used, virtually anything would stick immediately because of the permanent bonding method I used. It would be best to check with the instructions of whatever glue you choose. Either that, or run a test to see.

Andrew
Thanks David. I was hoping someone who had tried this would answer. Will you be using these printed up buildings fronts again? Are you happy with the way they look?

Loren
How about wallpaper paste ?
Lynn

New Adventure <!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://bigbluetrains.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=9245">viewtopic.php?f=46&t=9245</a><!-- l -->

Great White North
Ontario,Canada
I have never used wallpaper paste. Do you think it would it would be ok with the printer ink?

Loren
I wander if you were to modge podge the back first then use the wallpaper paste.
Lynn

New Adventure <!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://bigbluetrains.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=9245">viewtopic.php?f=46&t=9245</a><!-- l -->

Great White North
Ontario,Canada
With any paper you use, backdrop/building, should be sprayed with a clear coating to protect from fading. Dullcoat works well as with other cheaper ones.
<!-- e --><a href="mailto:jmarksbery@aol.com">jmarksbery@aol.com</a><!-- e -->

W.C. & T. RAILROAD
N-Scale
Owner:
Col. Jim Marksberry
Thanks Wgrider, my wife has some modge podge.
Jmarksbery, Thanks. I have some sealer I use on my cardstock buildings. Big Grin
nomad Wrote:Thanks Wgrider, my wife has some modge podge.
Jmarksbery, Thanks. I have some sealer I use on my cardstock buildings. Big Grin
The modge podge was just a thought, not long ago when I did my carved ribbon candles I use to modge podge both sides of paper with a saying on it to protect it from the dip into the hot wax on the final dip and the paper wouldn't get touched so really I don't don't want to be responsible for ruining your backdrop if it doesn't work. Jmarksbery's (Jim) may be the more accurate idea , his usually are. 2285_
Lynn

Great White North
Ontario,Canada
Lyn, I appreciate your idea. This backdrop is just an experiment, and it is something I printed at home, so I can always print more Smile

Loren
The problem with anything that is too wet (water or solvent based) is that it can ruin the inkjet printed page. You may have to go to a colour laser print, try different paper, and/or use a different glue. I used a photomounting glue last night (Christmas project) with no problems, but I was mounting a photo (thick photopaper) to foamcore. No real worries about wrinkling, or the glue soaking through.

Andrew
I used modge podge to glue some brickwork to foamcore. The brickwork had been copied on my printer and the modge podge caused a bit of run -- enough to age the brickwork a bit.
David
Moderato ma non troppo
Perth & Exeter Railway Company
Esquesing & Chinguacousy Radial Railway
In model railroading, there are between six and two hundred ways of performing a given task.
Most modellers can get two of them to work.