Has anybody here had much experience with Vista?
My new computer came loaded with the Vista software, but also offered a free up grade to Windows 7 when it came out. I went to the web site that Fry's gave me and ordered the up grade and faxed in my proof of purchase. I have received an email from the vendor saying that I am fully qualified to receive the free up grade and that they will send out a disc with the soft ware. I'm just not sure if I want to up grade right away or sit on it for a while to see what sort of bugs Microsoft left in Windows 7 and if they are worse than the bugs in Vista. I'm sorry but my experience with Microsoft is that they are incapable of coming out with bug free software. You may notice some of my posts seem to have letters missing from words until I catch them and edit. I wanted a wireless keyboard and mouse, but the store only had a Microsoft version in stock, no Logitech's left. I bought the Microsoft, but when my wife got her new computer, we got her a Logitech. I wish I had waited. The problem with the Microsoft compared to Logitech is that when you hit a key on Logitech, an over center spring seems to cause it to type the letter or character immediately. The Microsoft requires me to hit the keys so hard it feels like I'm literally pounding the key board to get it to produce a letter. I guess it is like the difference between playing an electronic keyboard or and organ, compared to an acoustic piano.
Return the keyboard, My Microsoft key boards are very easy to type on, very soft touch. I would say yours is a defective one.
Charlie
Russ,

From everything I've been reading, Vista has been such a bomb that some 85% of commercial people never upgraded from XP. I've been using Vista for almost two years now and I can't wait to upgrade. They are saying that Win 7 has it all over Vista, so based on that, I'm either going to buy a copy of Win 7, or buy a new machine with it installed. What's the difference? Well, I think Win 7 home upgrade is going for about $129, and a new machine without monitor is as low as $350. I'd hate to buy a copy of the new OS and have my hardware go south a few months later.

Anyway, I'd upgrade if I were you. I plan to soon.

As far as your keyboard, different keyboard have different sensitivity and different key travel. Yours could be more sensitive than the one you're use to. I would think that Fry's would take it back defective or not. You could always ask them to allow you to try out one before you buy another one.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
Having tested Windows 7 before it was released (I downloaded the Beta version), It has many advantages over Vista, mainly the taskbar, and how it handles computer resources (uses less memory, so is alot quicker). I would upgrade from Vista, but I cant be doing with the either hassle of freshly installing Win7 or the cost of buying the upgrade version.
Tom (TC) - Creator of Extremely Miniature Layouts on Disks! See Them All, and More on My Website. Latest Update: Jan '10.
[Image: 200549bd0989263ef.png]
My son tested the Win7 beta version and was very happy with it . What I don't know is if Win7 can be installed "on top" of Vista or if you need to do a whole re-install, meaning you've got to move all your files "off-computer", or you'll lose them... Nope
Gus (LC&P).
From what I have been reading, you can install it on top of a similar version of Vista. You need to do a clean install from XP though, and I guess if you have Vista Home edition and you want to upgrade to Win 7 Business edition, you'll need a clean install as well.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
The free up grade is the home edition and my Vista is also the home edition, so no problems there. I also understand that the windows 7 up grade install right over the top of Vista but underneath existing data, but if you are up grading from XP or older, you need to save everything and then do a clean install and reload all software and data. My understanding is that the primary reason for the business community to totally reject Vista was that none of the older software would run on Vista and much of the older programs were simply not available in the Vista format. Just before I retired, the dealer I worked for replaced all of the desk top P.C.'s and went to new software to track sales, repairs, parts sales, inventory, and payroll. Virtually everything the company spent money for or made money on was in tracked by the software. The total cost for the software alone was something in the neighborhood of $750k if I remember correctly. Three years later they are not going to buy new computers that require them to buy new software and input all data!
I heard such horror stories with Vista, that when I bought my new computer with XP, the salesman said I could get the Vista upgrade for nothing.
I'm still using XP.
Torrington, Ct.
NARA Member #87
I went to my Happy Place, but it was closed for renovations.
eightyeightfan1 Wrote:I heard such horror stories with Vista, that when I bought my new computer with XP, the salesman said I could get the Vista upgrade for nothing.
I'm still using XP.
Yeah, I know a lot of people that stuck with XP. I would have except I needed a new machine and I didn't have the XP downgrade option. I wish I had.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
FWIW, here is a comparison of various characteristics of 7 beta, Vista and XP: http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=3236

And get rid of that keyboard - keyboard will work just as bad no matter what operating system you use - that's a hardware problem, not a software problem.

Stein
steinjr Wrote:FWIW, here is a comparison of various characteristics of 7 beta, Vista and XP: http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=3236

And get rid of that keyboard - keyboard will work just as bad no matter what operating system you use - that's a hardware problem, not a software problem.

Stein

I don't doubt that the keyboard is a hardware issue. It just isn't bad enough to make me want to spend the money, yet. It has only taught me to NEVER EVER buy ANY hardware from Microsoft.
I'd recommend going with 7. That's whats going in my old tower when I upgrade the components.
Josh
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://rr.blockchoice.com">http://rr.blockchoice.com</a><!-- m -->
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.modelrailroadtips.com">http://www.modelrailroadtips.com</a><!-- m -->
Russ Bellinis Wrote:
steinjr Wrote:FWIW, here is a comparison of various characteristics of 7 beta, Vista and XP: http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=3236

Stein

I don't doubt that the keyboard is a hardware issue. It just isn't bad enough to make me want to spend the money, yet. It has only taught me to NEVER EVER buy ANY hardware from Microsoft.

Oh well - look on the bright side: at least extrapolating from a sample of one allows you to fit pretty much any curve you like to your data point - curve can go up, down or straight, be linear or exponential or whatever Misngth

Grin,
Stein
Russ. I had Vista. Next to my first wife, that was the biggest mistake I have ever made. I upgraded to Seven as soon as it came out and it's like having a new computer. Upgrade as soon as you can, you'll regret it if you don't.
Loren
I got my first train when I was three,
put a hundred thousand miles on my knees.
I'm in no rush to try Win 7 until the many, many serious bugs are worked out. Nor am I in any hurry to encourage or reward Microsoft for their constant program of planned obsolescence.