American Flyer Train Set? How much is it worth?
Brakie Wrote:Under NO conditions should you base a models worth on E-bay prices because it simply doesn't work that way.

Maybe someone should tell that to the company in Florida that is printing "The Brass Guide and Price List". All of the prices they quoted in the first edition are what the models they sold on Ebay went for....which doesn't bother me that much, it just means I'll get lots more money from the insurance company if I ever have another housefire or if someone breaks into my house and steals them.

However, almost 1/4 of the brass I own wasn't even listed in this "official" guide and price list because they had never sold any of those models.

Greg Melby
Seattle, WA.
Greg,The biggest problem with e-bay is the bidding wars and those folks that are "wowed" by a given engine or car.

I seen a brass Alco Models SW1 at the Berea train show for $60.00-I am still kicking myself over that mistake.Last one I saw on e-bay went for $175.00 because 2 guys was having a all out bidding war.

When I first sign up on E-bay in 2002 I saw a very common Athearn BB 40' CN boxcar sell for $24.00 while a extremely rare Bev-Bel/Athearn 50' double door boxcar went for a mere $6.80..I sold that car for $25.00 to a Bev-Bel/Athearn collector.

That's why I say you can't price any hard to find car by e-bay pricing.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!