Supercondicting Model Train
I wonder how long before someone builds one of these in their basement?

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeS_U9qFg7Y&feature=related">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeS_U9qF ... re=related</a><!-- m -->
You'd need one heck of an icebox in your beer fridge to keep all that liquid nitrogen handy! Icon_lol Icon_lol Icon_lol
Ron Wm. Hurlbut
Toronto, Ontario, Dominion of Canada
Ontario Narrow Gauge Show
Humber Valley & Simcoe Railway Blog
Not necessarily, just a good insulating high pressure container. The cold comes from the fact that it has been stored under high pressure to make it liquid - the same reason for why ice comes out of a compressed air canister when you spray it upside down.
Obviously when you take it out it will slowly warm up, so not much you can do, except to only use a bit at a time.
Tom (TC) - Creator of Extremely Miniature Layouts on Disks! See Them All, and More on My Website. Latest Update: Jan '10.
[Image: 200549bd0989263ef.png]
TinGoat Wrote:You'd need one heck of an icebox in your beer fridge to keep all that liquid nitrogen handy! Icon_lol Icon_lol Icon_lol

Actually, it's not that hard to get hold of. Just be careful how you handle it. I thought the demonstrator was pretty lax.

It would make quite a layout, since laying track precisely isn't an issue. Big Grin
You can actually stick your hand in liquid nitrogen without protection for a couple of seconds, aslong as you dont have any metal things on you hands.
Tom (TC) - Creator of Extremely Miniature Layouts on Disks! See Them All, and More on My Website. Latest Update: Jan '10.
[Image: 200549bd0989263ef.png]
My ol' man was involved in superconducting research for some time when he worked for the Argonne Nat'l lab. He used liquid helium to cool things off, as it were. The work he did there was initially targeted to be employed in what would have been the largest particle accelerator at the time. Unfortunately funding was cut-off for the project and the lead in accelerators fell to CERN, which incorporated some of my Dad's work into its accelerator. Cool stuff that was...literally.. Goldth
Gus (LC&P).