Well, I am back....
Some of you may remember me from The Gauge just before and while it was Zealot. A few years ago I started a shelf layout in my 2 car garage (which is still being used as a 2 car garage). Several folks at The Gauge cautioned me about the heat, humidity, cold, and bugs that I would have to contend with. I went ahead and got as far as laying all the track and putting in the ballast. Then after battling the spiders and elements for awhile, I put the layout on hold because we were considering moving. Now, that we have decided not to move anytime soon, I decided to build a climate controlled building in the backyard for the layout.

I will be able to use about 90% of the shelves/layout I already have, which is about 70 feet. There will be another 100 feet added on, so it will be a fairly big layout.

Here are some photos of the concrete compnay working on the foundation. The building is about 40 feet x 20 feet. I plan on doing all the framing, roofing, and electrical myself. Will definitely hire someone to do the brick exterior. Anyway, will be playing construction worker for a few months before I actually get back to the layout.

Hey, it is good to be back!

[Image: foundationpic4.jpg]

[Image: foundationpic2.jpg]
Three Foot Rule In Effect At All Times
BTW, here is a photo of GERN Industries Texas Division which will be incorporated into the new layout. Hey DocWayne!!

[Image: Gooverall.jpg]
Hi Gary,

Welcome back. Great to see work on the structures - model and proto...! Wink

Andrew
Glad to have you back and glad you found us on the new site.
... and it is good to have you back, Gary. Good luck with your ambitious plans!
Kurt
Very Cool!!! Glad you found us at our new home Smile Smile

Can't wait to see what you do with the new building!!!

.......... Welcome Back!!!
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    
~~ Baldwin Eddystone Unofficial Website

~~ I wonder what that would look like in 1:20.3???
Hey Gary...Great to see you around these parts....You had such a GREAT layout going, and then...PuFF...Now with a dedicated building you can keep doing your stuff and wowing us with it..!! Thumbsup
Looking forward to your progress updates... Goldth
Gus (LC&P).
Gary, were glad to see you back and at it again!! Thanks for the update on the new climate controlled structure to house the new layout. Its going to be a sweet building for a LARGE layout it sounds like!! Make sure you keep us updated with plenty of construction photos of it taking shape. Its always cool to see something come together, model or proto!! Misngth Thumbsup
Josh Mader

Maders Trains
Offering everyday low prices for the Model Railroad World
Gary! Good to see you! Having a dedicated building for a layout has to be the modeler's dream! Thumbsup
I've always liked your Gern facility.

Ralph
Good to hear from you again, Gary! Glad to see your progress!

Galen
I may not be a rivet counter, but I sure do like rivets!
Great to see you back, Gary! Welcome It looks like GERN's Texas Division is going to have quite the new home. Thumbsup Thumbsup

Wayne
and I gues since everything is "Bigger in Texas.. The Gern plant will be 3% larger then the one in WV Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    
~~ Baldwin Eddystone Unofficial Website

~~ I wonder what that would look like in 1:20.3???
Wow everyone, thanks for the wonderful "welcome backs!"

They poured the concrete yesterday. The crew got to my house at 6:30am and finished the dirt work, put in the forms, did the steel, and poured the thing.... whew it was a long day. The last finisher left at midnight!

The concrete guys wanted to wreck the forms off last night so they would be done, but in my opinion is was way too soon to be taking the forms off. So, I made a deal with the contractor that I would wreck off the forms later so that they didn't have to come back. And, I get to keep all the form lumber which I will use in the structure.

Next step is to clean up the yard. Then I'll wreck off the forms. And then I'll hire someone with a tractor/box blade to spread all the leftover dirt around the foundation. And then on to the framing. Unfortunately I will be out of town next week, so I'll be on hold until Thanksgiving week.

Again, thanks to everyone for your replies. Smile

BTW: I have been hanging out here a little over the past month.... just didn't have anything to say! Wink

[Image: concrete.jpg]
Welcome back!
Gee...This is the ULTIMATE in layout build threads!
Torrington, Ct.
NARA Member #87
I went to my Happy Place, but it was closed for renovations.
Hi Gary, wonderful to see you back, I look forward to watching your progress.

Gary