easy rock strata
Thank you Josh....it was fun to learn how to do things without thinking too far ahead. I do like "winging it" Thumbsup There's no better teacher than realizing you messed up and then problem solving on the fly. That's probably the exact wrong way to approach anything (including MRRing) but it was FUN!!!!

I never did a tutorial on blue foam rock making on the old site, so I figured I would now. I only have pics of the old layout that I can use as an illustration.......But I really need to retire those pictures and concentrate on the here and now Nope I will be starting a thread for the new shelf layout this coming week or right after the New Year.......bout time! Icon_lol
Steve
Steve Wrote:I will be starting a thread for the new shelf layout this coming week or right after the New Year.......bout time! Icon_lol

Popcornbeer Popcornbeer Popcornbeer Cheers Popcornbeer Popcornbeer Popcornbeer Popcornbeer Popcornbeer Cheers Cheers Popcornbeer Popcornbeer
Kurt
Kurt....I KNOW you've been waiting!!!

The problem is, I've been doing a lot of 219

And not enough train

Goldth
Steve
Thank you Steve for posting that very well documented "easy rock strata tutorial".
It looks like most of the threads on that scenery subforum start with the word "easy " Smile
I'm modeling eastern Canada and that kind of rock formation ( as far as I know ) doesn't exist here .
Is it a rock formation typical of western US ?
But the rest of that scenery tutorial is very helpful and interesting
I really like Sculptamold too, because small rocks can be carved directly into it, no need to cast rocks in Woodland Scenics rock molds ( using hydrocal ) and glue them.
As a matter of fact, ( specially in N scale ) rocks can be just painted directly on the Sculptamold. That will be the subject of my next thread:
"removable micro hill ( including a tunnel ) for a micro-layout".

Jacques
Steve,

Going to try the rock strata on my bridge module, thanks for the idea. Hopefully, this will be one time that I won't mess it up. :-) On the picture with all the materials, how did you shape the blue foam in the top left hand corner? Lastly, what did you use to make the big mountain in your waterfall tutorial?
Scott
Well, what do you think?
[Image: foamcut.jpg]
Scott
Jacques...
Quote:It looks like most of the threads on that scenery subforum start with the word "easy "
I'm modeling eastern Canada and that kind of rock formation ( as far as I know ) doesn't exist here .
I really like Sculptamold too, because small rocks can be carved directly into it, no need to cast rocks in Woodland Scenics rock molds ( using hydrocal ) and glue them.
As a matter of fact, ( specially in N scale ) rocks can be just painted directly on the Sculptamold. That will be the subject of my next thread:

You are right, "easy" is a relative term. I have done a few tutorials, and I would only attempt one that I thought was, in fact , "easy". I think that the best part about doing it this way is that you can get tons of detail in a short period of time.

As far as where rock formations like this can be found....I would say that they probably would be mostly found in the western USA and also Canada.
I found these pictures by Google-ing images "Canadian Rock Formations" about 2/3 of the way down the page (right before the pics of the bear) there are about 3 or 4 pics that a person could model using this technique:
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.kinsilclose.com/">http://www.kinsilclose.com/</a><!-- m -->

I also googled "shale" and found a lot of pics that were similar. I think that used in small doses and with the proper coloring and surrounding greenery, it would be fine most any where........opinions may vary on that Goldth Thumbsup

I agree with you 100% on the versatility of Sculptamold....the stuff is awesome! I am also looking forward to seeing your "removable micro hill" thread Thumbsup Thumbsup .

Scott...
Quote:On the picture with all the materials, how did you shape the blue foam in the top left hand corner? Lastly, what did you use to make the big mountain in your waterfall tutorial?

I cut the foam with a serrated bread knife. I wasn't being careful, just hacking away, following the curve of the tracks. When it was finished it seemed to have the look of cut rock....so it was a "happy accident"....I live off of those! Goldth Thumbsup

I can't find any early pics of that section, but I found this pic of a rock wall I carved for the town section of the layout that was never completed:

[Image: photos357.jpg]
I spent a little more time on this rock wall but it is generally the same.

The mountain in my waterfall tutorial was done with Sculptamold and a few real rocks here and there. The rock columns were blue foam:

[Image: deano7.jpg]

[Image: Waterfall011.jpg]

[Image: Waterfall012.jpg]
The last pic was taken by Deano Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup

Scott...Great job on your rock wall!!! Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup
I would recommend blending the horizontal lines or gaps where the individual layers of foam meet. You can also help to blend them in with some appropriate ground cover. I am looking forward to seeing the finished scene! Thumbsup If you have any questions, PM me.

Steve
The modeler formally known as "Nazgul"
Steve
Steve Wrote:Josh, Ralph, Kurt....thank you guys Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup

Lynn....Old friend, you were one of the biggest missing pieces over at the old forum Thumbsup ....Are you going to post regularly? we need you!

I checked your layout thread................................ :jawdrop:

Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sorry didn't get back sooner Steve, I will be posting updates perhaps not as much but they are coming , the area I'm workng on now takes alot of time to get it just right and thats just the track work. Plus the way the new Big Blue is erupting it keeps me busy trying to read all the post, Dr Wayne has had my attention since startup, and of course this is all part of this great hobby.
I'm glad you reposted the waterfall I'm thinking of redoing my waterfall and somehow incorporating a new river.
How bout you Steve anything in the works? 2285_
Lynn

New Adventure <!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://bigbluetrains.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=9245">viewtopic.php?f=46&t=9245</a><!-- l -->

Great White North
Ontario,Canada
Lynn...I've been trying to survive the Holidays Thumbsup I should be starting on the layout in a week or so. I need to run some trains!!!!
Steve
Steve..(formerly known as Nazgul...)...Good to hear you're on the verge of getting that new layout moving along....I'm sure it'll meet all OUR expectations.. Goldth I hope you start a new thread, much like you did for your first gem. I'm sure there's a whole lot of us anxiously awaiting more of your superb modeling.

!!!!...HAPPY NEW YEAR...!!!!
Gus (LC&P).
Biased turkey Wrote:Thank you Steve for posting that very well documented "easy rock strata tutorial".
It looks like most of the threads on that scenery subforum start with the word "easy " Smile

Jacques

Jacques, I think that type of strata would be seen in Eastern Canada. It is common in the Catskills and Adirondacks of New York state. The difference between the East Coast and the Southwest is that you guys get a lot more rainfall and snow, so the landscape is much more lush. Anyplace that the rock strata is cracked where a tree root can get a "toe hold" a tree will grow. The strata is often underneath the forest, and often if nothing else grows on the rocks back there, they will be covered with moss. I think I've also seen pictures of railroading in the New England area where the railroad runs through a cut that would be very similar to that strata. If I remember correctly much of the forest areas of Pennsylvania, N.Y., New England, and Quebec Province is slate underneath everything. If you are modeling the prairie farming areas of Eastern Canada, then you probably would not see that much rock strata. The black-dark gray color pallet would be more correct for the northeast. In Arizona, Utah, Southern Nevada, New Mexico, and Colorado would find many of the cliffs more of an iron oxide red color.
Steve Wrote:Lynn...I've been trying to survive the Holidays Thumbsup I should be starting on the layout in a week or so. I need to run some trains!!!!
Good stuff I can't wait. 2285_
Lynn

New Adventure <!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://bigbluetrains.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=9245">viewtopic.php?f=46&t=9245</a><!-- l -->

Great White North
Ontario,Canada
Thank you Steve and Russ for taking some of your time to reply and provide some information about my "geological" question.
At least it's encouraging to know that I could find some nice strata rocks to model around the province of Quebec and in New England.

Jacques
The rock formations look just awesome Steve many thanks for the tutorial Big Grin i have hear a bread knife with serrated edges work well cutting the foam .......
Off to the DIY store tommorrow for some boards and have a go myself Big Grin
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.freewebs.com/upnick/">http://www.freewebs.com/upnick/</a><!-- m -->
[Image: up_xm40o.gif][Image: up_lo-1.gif][Image: up_turb10k_r.gif]
Jesso Wrote:Well, what do you think?

Looking good so far Jesso.
I'm looking forward to see those rocks painted.

Jacques